It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

Change is coming : a new game mode

Let's talk about official announcements.
  • Author

p122ab0y

Re: Change is coming : a new game mode

PostThu May 22, 2014 8:07 pm

just checking in to see what's new. I'll be honest, I'm not confident that these upcoming changes will be all that impressive. The only thng I read that might make things more sticky is introducing new heroes on a regular basis. I tend to think that plsyers select heroes/units based on style and personal preference. there's also a learning curve whenever u use new units. what I anticipate is players will continue to come and go to check out the new content but overtime that becomes repetitive and they will lose interest and move to other mmos. where's the RPG elements like character growth, customization, and itemization?

Hod

PostThu May 22, 2014 8:07 pm

mathmix wrote:This new match mechanic seems really intresting and I know the devs are tired of reading not to take away Death Match away, but... Even though they say we'll can still play this mode with our friends, some of us just want o play it as a normal match, against ramdom people and being reward with ducats and renown as we are now.
The idea of a tactical Death Match is the game mode that attracted me and my friends to this game.

A broken record can still play good music.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

mathmix

PostThu May 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Hod wrote:
mathmix wrote:This new match mechanic seems really intresting and I know the devs are tired of reading not to take away Death Match away, but... Even though they say we'll can still play this mode with our friends, some of us just want o play it as a normal match, against ramdom people and being reward with ducats and renown as we are now.
The idea of a tactical Death Match is the game mode that attracted me and my friends to this game.

A broken record can still play good music.

I hope the devs like this music, because I'm guessing more people will play it.

MhBlis

PostFri May 23, 2014 2:24 am

I've been reading the 3.5 Dogs of Wars rules more and more since I finally got my hands on them and...

p122ab0y wrote: where's the RPG elements like character growth, customization, and itemization?

It isn't actually there. There are so many of these types of games out there that does it so much better in those aspects that if that is something the devs want (because the players really do) then they are going to need to look further afield. The rules from what I'm reading aren't designed around having a permanent roster more build one off strike teams from stock troops to supplement the main Confrontation game.

----
As for Elixer = Potion that is a French to English translation thing. Essence of Life would be a better English phrase for it.

Errol Flynn

PostFri May 23, 2014 8:39 am

DeathsAdvocate wrote:Come on man try to be constructive we have a wonderful game, with hard working devs who are active in the community. And people voicing what they want is exactly what makes things happen so those who support a mode, or have ideas for new things absolutely should say or keep saying or add to what they have said. This game is in beta, we are supposed to be testing it.

I mean obvious troll post, is obvious troll post and I shoulden't feed it or it could grow, so if you insist on lowering your self to that level I hope no one else will respond if your replies continues to go down that route.

To add something constructive to this post, if we are using the map spawning elixir capture the flag thing please do not make it random.

I have played quite a bit of this game DeathsAdvocate. I have been very successful with all companies even when I was new. I play the vast majority of my games aggressively, I try to make fun teams rather than teams that are as OP as possible. I have made many comments on this game. In fact it was an off the cuff comment from me that alerted the devs to the fact people had issues with the other game modes in the first place. I have paid money for this game to help out even though I had absolutely no need to ( I have not spent the Cyans). You call it trolling because you are either a child or a victim of mass media. What you call trolling is actually not new to the internet, people with different opinions are not trolls. People who may be more aggressive than you because of nature and/or nurture are entitled to voice their opinions also.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

DeathsAdvocate

PostFri May 23, 2014 10:43 am

People with different opinions however conflicting are not trolls, people who say things in purposely offensive and rude manners whether out of a lack of courtesy or an attempt to get a rise out of people are.

roder

PostSat May 24, 2014 6:59 am

Ah...I really hope you do not go through with this elixir mode. If your intent was to grab new players, you should go with something new people can just pick up and play for fun right away, without having trouble understanding what the game is about.

People understand what DM is. They understand what KOTH is. They understand what VIP is. but what game mode is this elixir grabbing thing. Please just stick to what you have already, combine DM/KOTH/VIP and have those as your main objectives to win the game, there is no need to add an extra "elixir hunting" objective. Why would people chase elixirs on the battlefield while there's 2 armies meeting each other in a war....while I can understand armies trying to control areas of power (KOTH), or trying to kill the main leader (VIP), or trying to kill the entire team (DM), but how does chasing randomly popping elixirs fit into the construct of this game.

I understand this is the crucial point in development to voice our opinions before its too late. So here is mine. Do not take my criticism of the mode too harshly...but please don't ignore it either. Someone will make a joke about elixirs and dogs fetching, but it will be a bad joke. Do not let the bad jokes come. Do the right thing! :D

Hod

PostSat May 24, 2014 10:23 am

Rodent's post got me thinking. I totally agree with it and think there is a way to do what he mentioned.

1. The game's objective is DM.
2. The Hero is better than everyone else so killing him seriously handicaps a teams ability to win (VIP).
3. The KoTH hold points increase the Health of the units within it, giving a reason to hold them.

We still have DM, but with VIP and KoTH adding more depth to that DM.

Obviously this is just one guys idea and I don't expect you to do this, but I feel like the elixirs are the Devs way to try to stop turtling (and all of the other things that happen during a game that people don't like), and I just wanted to show there are other ways of doing this, opposed to making the game all about grabbing elixirs.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

ShadeAvatar

PostSat May 24, 2014 10:45 am

Hi everyone

I have read whole two threads about new changes and I would like to throw my opinion in to it. I agree with some ideas given by the players. Please forgive me not recalling idea givers, its because I don't remember them....and I don't want to be seen as a thief who gives others ideas as if they was his own :)

This are suggestions (including my own and those which i support - from other players):

1. -Leave death matches as a separate game mode, these is a simple mode which need to BE in every strategy game: people sometimes like simple to win conditions and pure WAR, besides new rules will be very complicated for new players this mode will make them familiar with game mechanics - very important, there is nothing more frustrating than: "why i lose, what happen?!!!". You can even give message just after tutorial: "We recommend you playing few death matches to get familiar with game mechanic"

2. -Add campaign, these will add more "to do" in the game and will help new players to practice before getting into battle with old players.

3. -enable battles with computer - this is for new players training, computers with few difficulty levels and few defined army builds (one or two for each faction) will be nice, later you may try to enable players to chose army for the computer so the veteran players could test they armies against some particular builds - such testing of course needs good AI but its not impossible

4. -I would like to also see some co-op battles for example 2vs2 however this will probably work with big community or everyone will wait eternity to match up

5. -I didn't play since DS2 was bring out but in my times match up system was to slow, so if needed please improve it

6. -personally I don't mind injury system but as I see people hate it and it will be definitely removed, but I liked the idea to save it as a unit story, this will be very nice and many players will appreciate it

7. -add achievements and rewards for them. rewards can be cyans, skins, silver; something worth spending time. The achievements can be simple like: win three matches in row or a little bit harder: kill enemy hero in first 3 turns/more content more fun. Sometimes people will pay money to get better stuff to unlock achievement and get their dreamed skin/everything depends on what you will implement. Skins available only for some hard achievements will get you respect and maybe they will make game a little bit more sticky - For example after reaching rang 20 and getting almost all units with max lvl i didn't have much things to do, such "only achievement unlockable content" will probably hold me further with the game

8. -wait order should be available even after hero's death - this is very strategic one for smaller armies or when you have few units left. Losing hero (and orders in consequence) will be very painful. Leaving "wait order" will still give you some very important strategic options (everyone knows how wait order is useful when you are outnumbered).

9. -killing VIP as suggested by many other players shouldn't grant you a victory, it should give you only elixir points. VIP mode would be very hard to balance. Why? Well, if you want troops to have matter than the hero shouldn't be a ultimate killing machine which means that it should be closer in stats to normal units and that makes him easier to kill - so good balance between troops matter and hero enough hard to kill with such broad planned content (new factions+new heroes) will be almost impossible. It would be easy to imagine that new heroes will be OP and old ones will become unplayable - many players will get screwed and they want be happy with that. So please DON'T MESS with this mechanic, don't hurt yourself and the game. Victory should be granted only for "wipe out the opponent" IMO.

10. -"elixir" is a...stupid name (sorry for such harsh words). For now I was getting the impression that the game is going into more dark climate...and we are not some magicians looking for elixirs for ours collection. We are tacticians who love battles, we should collect such things like "fate shards", "souls", "dark orbs", "power orbs", "meteor fragments", "titanate".... Personally i think "souls" or "fate shards" are the best to chose from. So please change these name.

11. -I personally don't like and I'm against the "elixir" system (i will call it like that to make everything clear although I REALLY don't like this name) but if you want to implement it I thing it should have some adjustments: NO RANDOM, really that will screw the game - it will favor fast armies like wolfs that was OP before. There should be few, lets say 5 points in which elixir will spawn. At first you will have red icon to see where the elixir will spawn and in next turn it will be available to collect. Now we have two options: 1 elixir will be available every two turns: red/available/red/available and so on or in turn when one elixir will be available the next one will appear as red icon, so from the first turn it will be: red/available+red/available+red and so on. These 2 spawn options need to be tested IMO and the better one should be chose. Moreover in one zone no more than one elixir should be present and if all zones will be full no more elixir should be spawned until some of them will be collected.

12. -the second very important thing: I think that single unit should have a limit number of elixirs which it can collect and for 10 pts victory it should be two. Why? Generally it should be correlated with number of points required to win to not favor the armies with many units i.e. if I need 10 pts to win and i have 4 units i can collect 8 elixirs (80% points to win) with 15 pts to win and 4 units i can collect still 8 elixirs but its only 53% points to win...This system will also add more depth to the game. Without limit it would be easy to imagine army with 2 gargoyles that gather everything they can and drop only one point upon death...limit of 2 will make that unit will drop 50% of what it collect. Also tanking units for gathering in case of implemented limit will matter less. In opposite army of pure fast gatherers would be to ease to kill - remember that you will know where the elixir will spawn (red icons) and that from killing the "gatherer" you will get 1 elixir (50-100% of what they gathered). Briefly speaking the aim of collection limit is to direct the battle more into fight and not into gathering connected with camp. The most important, players will faced a choice: I should kill the gatherer and get elixir or I should kill units that didn't pick up elixir to disable my opponents gather performance.

Thats all...Giant wall of text. I give every paragraph a number so you could refer to it and vote/express your opinion. I gathered most of the main ideas+plus few of mine. If we vote for them we should deliver some main points to the devs and make this game better as we want it to be :) I know that some points can sound like " dear devs: DO THIS" but really this points are only suggestions....

BTW: Thanks for reading this and sorry for grammar ;)

Astralwyrm

PostSat May 24, 2014 4:16 pm

I agree on trying to make the mode more deathmatch. Maybe rather than any unit being able to collect elixir i would suggest making the hero the only one able to. That way your forced to put him in a vulnerable position in order to power up for a powerful ability and you'll want to use your other units to protect him. If the capture position allows for the hero to be protected so long as the opponent turtles at the beginning position. Then that will allow the hero to gather elixir to break the turtling opponent, forcing the opponent to take an offensive stance against you and move around the map. So the only objective would be to kill all enemies but you have some added mechanics to force confrontation and to turn the tables on your opponent by gathering elixir or killing their hero.
Last edited by Astralwyrm on Sat May 24, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to News