It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

Lion nMelee

A place where you can talk about your strategies
  • Author

MhBlis

Lion nMelee

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 5:45 am

Anyone have any suggestion on how to build a melee based Lion army. Is this even a viable option?

I'm curious since I would like to move away from the ranged or caster spam options. And personally don't much like the look of any of the other factions.

Dragon_Warrior

Re: Lion nMelee

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 am

MhBlis wrote:Anyone have any suggestion on how to build a melee based Lion army. Is this even a viable option?

I'm curious since I would like to move away from the ranged or caster spam options. And personally don't much like the look of any of the other factions.

p122ab0y is propably only player using HtH Lions (but also not always)

I don't knew his band but i would guess that you start with 3 lions as only cost efective lion hth units :P
after that you propably need 3 lev 1 sparklings to have more activations than enemy - with is strongly recommended when you must attack with Alahan.
rest is probably up to - choosing you between swordsmans or valkyries.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Errol Flynn

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 am

MhBlis wrote:Anyone have any suggestion on how to build a melee based Lion army. Is this even a viable option?

The easiest way to make a melee based lion company is to include 1 Archer with accuracy and double shot. You spend the rest on melee. Lions and swordsmen (w/ parry) always, but Valks and a KotL are also good. That 1 Archer will be easy to protect and can use your attack stances better than other units. The KotL is a good unit. You really need to use it in a few games to see its value rather than looking at its stats.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

MhBlis

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am

would you recommend the Valk to take the Combat tree?

Is it worth taking the Knight to max level?

I''ve actually got most of those units already set. Would need to pick up another Knight or Valk depending on what the advise is.

Errol Flynn

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:04 am

MhBlis wrote:would you recommend the Valk to take the Combat tree?

I''ve actually got most of those units already set. Would need to pick up another Knight or Valk depending on what the advise is.

I would not recommend levelling the Valk and taking the KotL. I would definitely get taunt and I think master fencer works out a lot better than parry if you are going to take the KotL to high level. The incantation of justice Valk can be good but there are way less legendries to use it on now.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:20 am

while we can deliberate about Valkyrie after she get +1 Par so cen be interesting on both lev 2 and 4 - Knight is in my opinion pointless especialy if leveled up... its simply moving wall that will be killed last and can take alone no more than 1-2 cheap enemis durning whole game.

3 Lions (2xlev2 / 1xlev1)
3 Sparks (lev1)
1 Lev 3 archer (accurate, double)
1 Valk lev 2-3 (counter, fanaticism)
1 lev 1 Swordsman

you can try changing the levels for one Lion at lev3 (sneak attack) or going Valk to lev 4 with non-mobile lions

also you can drop swordsman for upgrades for valk and lions ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

p122ab0y

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:

p122ab0y is propably only player using HtH Lions (but also not always)

I don't knew his band but i would guess that you start with 3 lions as only cost efective lion hth units :P
after that you propably need 3 lev 1 sparklings to have more activations than enemy - with is strongly recommended when you must attack with Alahan.
rest is probably up to - choosing you between swordsmans or valkyries.

That is correct DW. Although I wouldn't call it a "true" melee-comp. It's 3x lion, 3x spark, 1x vlk, 1x chastisement+seal mage. The primary play-style of the build is a strategic FILO (FIRST IN LAST OUT) harrassment tactic that got me on the top 10 last week. The secondary style is.. well nuke mage. The way harrassment was intended to work was sending in a sealed lion on the last activation of first turn (Why lion over spark? Ruthless for more seal damage. Note you only use this tactic against RAM and WOLF because of discipline advantage). On the beginning of 2nd turn, you retreat your lion, and repeat your harrassment. This was intended to slowroll tanking opponents to the point where they are severely damaged enough for you to assault or force your opponent to into assault. Here's my pro/con:
-PRO: FILO harrassment against RAM/WOLF
-PRO: encirclement advantage on aggressors (WOLF). Your VIP (mage) is very well guarded due to lion and spark encirclement
-PRO: seal +mobility compensate for lack of range units.
-PRO: very good against non-zerg & elitebased comps (due to low volume of support unit because of high elite AP cost)
-SEMI-CON: Weakest against lion but usually wins anyway.
-SEMI-CON: legendaries. Now not so much because of the AP increase.
-CON: weak against conscience mages (although very few players utilize this)

Here's the melee Valkary Comp that was actually going to roll this week but decided on Wolf instead. This comp was created a few backs due to high number of golem/legendary users. Unlike the COMP above, this COMP has more weaknesses. It doesn't fair well against range-heavy COMPS (I would avoid using this against LION opponents in general) The COMP is based around 3x valkary w/ incarnation+counterstrike + a bunch of low AP cost support units (This is to get encirlement bonuses+ generating faith points). Here's the theory and fundamental tactic. With incarnation, you want to maximize the damage output in the incarnate state. So theres two very good synergies, Offensive stance & divine favor (Many people don't think about Order synergies when they craft their compositions). Offensive stance is good but Divine favor is better. Combined with counterstrike, you will 99% of the time parry resulting in 2nd hit. You always want to play in such a way that creates an opening where one of your opponents units is down to 30 HP. The follow up move to that is divine favor+ counterattack+ incarnation with results in 1 gaurateed kill then, pursuit movement resulting in another 30 damage potential (Note Divine favor also counterattacks the high difficulty of an incarnation role and allow you to grab the fantacism passive instead of the +20% cast).
PRO: Order synergy- Divine Favor and Offensive Aura makes this a massive damage outputer arguably better than a PoB.
PRO: Strong vs WOLF, Strong vs Legendary/Elite based builds. Decent vs RAM, weakest vs lion.
CON: incarnation cost 3 faith. This hinders your ability to position as you rely on unit proximity for faith.
CON: not good vs range+ tanking comps. Weaker as game progress. Losing enough units can prevent you from being able to use incarnation (This is why you want as many low AP support units as possible).

Deep Blue

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 pm

unless they changed it....counterattack does not trigger on the enemy's riposte...
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

skydancer

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Just spam seal of Dane*.* and group up a bunch of lion and spark and sowrdsman and maybe one valk.
~ work in progress ~

p122ab0y

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Deep Blue wrote:unless they changed it....counterattack does not trigger on the enemy's riposte...

Well that makes for a pretty crappy counterattack doesnt it.
Next

Return to Strategy Forum