It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

Chastisement of Light.......

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Malice

Chastisement of Light.......

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 am

Change it to one use per activation, two uses per activation is simply too strong. Especially since you can cast it twice, 2 activations in a row if you have 12 mana stored. When you couple this with divine favour, so it is almost impossible to fail, you create a race of 5 click heroes(You know who you are).

Maybe increase the force it hits with very slightly, but please change it to 1 use per activation. It is a simple and insanely easy way to get wins. Most of the top lion players use variations of the 'nuke mage' build and it is very frustrating to play against, taking the fun out of the game.

Errol Flynn

Re: Chastisement of Light.......

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 2:35 am

Malice wrote:Change it to one use per activation, two uses per activation is simply too strong. Especially since you can cast it twice, 2 activations in a row if you have 12 mana stored. When you couple this with divine favour, so it is almost impossible to fail, you create a race of 5 click heroes(You know who you are).

Maybe increase the force it hits with very slightly, but please change it to 1 use per activation. It is a simple and insanely easy way to get wins. Most of the top lion players use variations of the 'nuke mage' build and it is very frustrating to play against, taking the fun out of the game.

Chastisement of Light is particularly effective against companies with lots of units. A very high AP unit using Divine and probably some sparks for mana should be able to devastate. If you are using 3 Gargoyles then 4 CoL in a row would probably ruin your company.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

p122ab0y

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 3:02 am

stop nerfing everything. I'd rather see overall buffs for balancing. We've seen what happened with the last patch where nerfs basically destroyed build diversity and forced players into the remaining few viable builds such as the different variations of "nuke mage" described.

Malice

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 3:39 am

Overall buffs would be much harder to balance, rather than one or two nerfs to bring what is wrong back in line. However, having said that I don't mind what happens as long as balance is achieved.

Deep Blue

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 9:50 am

wait a second , im so sure some lion players were like: "OMG mage build is dead!" - "lion is the weakest faction" etc...

I'm just amazed by how people change their mind within the same patch :D

but back on topic...i dont think that spell is OP. If you think it is OP then you played wrong. Some lion players who dueled with me can confirm that they could hit maximum 2 of my units because of positioning. If i've more than 3+ units hit i should ask to myself if that skill is OP or it is me playing bad (or the opponent being amazing and putting me in that nasty situation).

The aoe spell can be played around and this is a huge advantage/disadvantage. Also...once the mage is dead you won usually.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:31 am

wait a second , im so sure some lion players were like: "OMG mage build is dead!" - "lion is the weakest faction" etc...

you consider Malice as a Lion player ?

...at the point when Seal and Primal attack was nerfed Mage is suicidal unit mostly and dies as soon it tries to get range for his spells. One gargoyle in 6 hex at the start of turn and he can only run back without a chance to kill it or block it.

Unless someone say that 150ap Knight will rescue him in this 4 units company ;P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 am

Dragon_Warrior wrote:

you consider Malice as a Lion player ?

...at the point when Seal and Primal attack was nerfed Mage is suicidal unit mostly and dies as soon it tries to get range for his spells. One gargoyle in 6 hex at the start of turn and he can only run back without a chance to kill it or block it.

Unless someone say that 150ap Knight will rescue him in this 4 units company ;P

i was not referring to malice with that but rather to all those people screaming post patch that the lion faction is underpowered once it got the heal element nerfed. As of today it is still played a lot and is as deadly as always.

I think all mage companies i faced most had:

-lot of swordsmen (THREE min) - not bad for a unit that people consider "weak" :P
- 1+ archers
- 1 or 0 valks
- usually 1 or even 2 lion of wars.

the KOTL in that comp would be marginally useful as you need body-blockers.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 12:27 pm

i was not referring to malice with that but rather to all those people screaming post patch that the lion faction is underpowered once it got the heal element nerfed. As of today it is still played a lot and is as deadly as always.
I think all mage companies i faced most had:
-lot of swordsmen (THREE min) - not bad for a unit that people consider "weak" :P
- 1+ archers
- 1 or 0 valks
- usually 1 or even 2 lion of wars.

To be honest i don't see any of old Lion players around anymore...
And even if someone new writes here about playing lions - i check him only as a Ram/Wolfen player in top 100 ranking mostly...

as for swordsmans again - its mostly the only option with no alternatives other that War Lion... while cat unit is close to ok - he is no way a defensive unit.
and Valkyrie - its still better than nothing

but the same i can say abut PoB od GG - i see them both and GG is still better and cheaper than Kot - like in 0.9 but without so big point difference.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Hod

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 12:33 pm

In pregame, when I see a Mage with Chastisement of Light, I know not to group my troops (I made that mistake once and had my whole company at 10% health in one turn). It can be quite over powered if you group you troops, but if you don't group your troops, it can be played around.

A nerfing down to one use per activation wouldn't be the end of the mage in my opinion though. It's really up to the devs on whether they want a unit to be able to theoretically take a whole unit down to almost no life in one turn if the opponent plays poorly (because Chastisement of Light is the only thing in the game I know that can do that). I agree with Blue that poor playing is the reason behind it's power, but it still is the only thing in the game I know of with that much power in one turn.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 1:05 pm

and its last Lion counter against mindless Zerg rushes...

i personaly play without th mage - becouse i see it useless against serious players at the time - but for many players it can be last option to hold 50:50 win ratio...

15 mins ago i played only one turn with my RAM swarm and opponent (lev 5 mage with chatisment, 3x archer, valkyrie, 2x swordsan) quit... there was no option to him to hit more than two units and stay further than 6 hex from gargoyle ;P
Next

Return to General Forum