It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

Questions about Black Paladin

A place where you can talk about your strategies
  • Author

Hod

Questions about Black Paladin

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 12:38 pm

So I've been using a Level 3 Black Paladin for awhile now and there were some questions I was hoping people could answer for me.

1. Occult Erosion - Who exactly does it work on? I've only had one chance to use it once in many games on a Lion Mage. I couldn't get it to work on a Wolfen Keeper of the Ruins or other Black Paladins (maybe they were using Horror of the Black Paladins to stop it?). So far, Occult Erosion just seems to be way underused by me because I never can find an opportunity to use it. I was wondering how other people used it.

2. I'm about to get to Level 4 and was thinking of getting Somatic Transfer, but really, I like using the Black Paladin as part of the shield wall and while it would be nice to get a Skeleton Warrior, Skeleton Archer or Morbid Puppet to his stats, is it worth the sacrifice he takes (since he will not always just be sitting behind the line like a Priest)?
As a result, I was looking at the other Level 4 Black Paladin Miracle, Exhausting Touch. It just seems too random and out of my control for my taste, but I was wondering what experience other people have had with it. Is it worth taking? 0 DAM on a unit is quite nice, but is it too easy to counter?

Thanks in advance.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Deep Blue

Re: Questions about Black Paladin

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Hod wrote:So I've been using a Level 3 Black Paladin for awhile now and there were some questions I was hoping people could answer for me.

1. Occult Erosion - Who exactly does it work on? I've only had one chance to use it once in many games on a Lion Mage. I couldn't get it to work on a Wolfen Keeper of the Ruins or other Black Paladins (maybe they were using Horror of the Black Paladins to stop it?). So far, Occult Erosion just seems to be way underused by me because I never can find an opportunity to use it. I was wondering how other people used it.

2. I'm about to get to Level 4 and was thinking of getting Somatic Transfer, but really, I like using the Black Paladin as part of the shield wall and while it would be nice to get a Skeleton Warrior, Skeleton Archer or Morbid Puppet to his stats, is it worth the sacrifice he takes (since he will not always just be sitting behind the line like a Priest)?
As a result, I was looking at the other Level 4 Black Paladin Miracle, Exhausting Touch. It just seems too random and out of my control for my taste, but I was wondering what experience other people have had with it. Is it worth taking? 0 DAM on a unit is quite nice, but is it too easy to counter?

Thanks in advance.

i use a black paladin in every Ram comp as i feel it is almost mandatory for what it brings.

-occult erosion: works only on mages and warrior-mages as it drains MANA not faith. It is one of the best anti-mage skills as you deny them mana (which is translated into less damage for them) + give them a -2 WIL debuff which increases (potentially less damage) + you damage them, generally around 10 damage. For a mere cost of 7 AP it is totally worth it as some companies are all based around casters. Careful though, if the pala dies the debuff is dispelled. it also lock wolven lonewolves if not lvl 5.

- somatic and exhausting touch are both good skills. Again it comes down if you want to make a company centered on somatic or just have a paladin that is useful but not the focal point. The malus are totally worth it....keep in mind that if used on a hardboiled skeleton (which should have martyr) it becomes a black paladin with hardboiled. E-touch instead allow you to completely lock down a unit but it can be played around so you shouldn't really use it whenever you can.

pre-patch i had a paladin lvl2 which its only reason of existance was to mess with mages. If it would die i would be ok as my army was not based around it. If you go to level 3 because you want 100% success rate, go for exalted. Loyal is useless unless you have a priest or another paladin but generally martyr > loyal if you know how to put your units.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Hod

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks Deep,

I guess I just haven't played against a lot of Mages. I am actually running the same comp you had in our match (wonder why) and it's working pretty well. I used to think a Necro was an auto include, but am seeing that it is not the case.

I do have two Skeley Warriors with Hard-Boiled, that would be pretty nice to have them buffed. Also, I don't actually attack a lot with the Black Paladin when he's in my wall. I usually put defensive stance on him, and have him counter attack unit the unit is low enough to kill him or get him low enough for someone else to kill him. Hmmm... I think I will go with my initial feeling and get Somatic Transfer.

Thanks again.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Deep Blue

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Hod wrote:Thanks Deep,

I guess I just haven't played against a lot of Mages. I am actually running the same comp you had in our match (wonder why) and it's working pretty well. I used to think a Necro was an auto include, but am seeing that it is not the case.

I do have two Skeley Warriors with Hard-Boiled, that would be pretty nice to have them buffed. Also, I don't actually attack a lot with the Black Paladin when he's in my wall. I usually put defensive stance on him, and have him counter attack unit the unit is low enough to kill him or get him low enough for someone else to kill him. Hmmm... I think I will go with my initial feeling and get Somatic Transfer.

Thanks again.

that comp i used can be well performing or terribly performing. Is all about playing mind games with your opponent and positioning the priest in a way that can escape if engaged (transfer) or put himself in a position to nuke and be safe. It might happen you choose a bad deployment and the first Lion archer puts him to low life on the very first turn (thank you divine favor)...on the other hand on small maps you can have access to 6 faith on the very first turn.

one thing is sure though...that company will wreck any legendary you will face.

Useful links:

p122ab0y

PostTue Mar 18, 2014 7:13 am

Say you have 3 black paladins with exhausting touch. Can you cast once on each of the 3 paladins or only one can cast for the entire game?

Deep Blue

PostTue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 am

not sure but if it works like ylia's wrath i would say no (90% sure)

Useful links:

Errol Flynn

PostTue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 am

It is cast once per game for the side. What I am not sure about is if it never came into effect because of insensitive could a 2nd BP then use it? Or now, if it has left play because the casting BP used it can a 2nd then cast it?
The BP is a very good unit. With OE and ET he has very effective counters to problem units and is still a very good unit in its own right.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

Almanro

PostTue Mar 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Before last patch, you could cast it many times till an enemy unit was affected. If you failed because of the 50% magic res of the golem, you could still cast it another time the following turn. Didn't try it after last patch.

Regarding the main topic of the discussion, somatic transfer and exhausting touch are both very good options, the first is very strong if used in combo with low lvl necros' puppets and it works well against any army, the second works well against enemy elites and legendary units (ok, let's be honest, it works well against the golem, against the worg and chimera also the other ability is sufficient) with the plus that the enemy is scared to approach your units with his main hitters.

Return to Strategy Forum