It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

Change is coming : Troop profiles

Let's talk about official announcements.
  • Author

Astralwyrm

Re: Change is coming : Troop profiles

PostTue May 27, 2014 8:04 pm

It's sounding good so far. Harpooner is definitely the weaker of the 3 no doubt about it. Such low acc and no instinctive firing will hurt him even more. I'm sure you guys just haven't finished him since he doesn't even have any passive abilities like the other two. Like say Sharpshooter + Ferocious would make sense to me.

They said all this would be coming in june if i remember rightly.

ShadeAvatar

PostTue May 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Variety of profiles look nice but the harpooner looks rather weak. He could have for example 10 or 11 accuracy but after shot he would need 1 turn for reload, so one shot every 2nd turn. Alternatively his "Aim" ability could give him +3 acc instead of +3 dmg. This would look more like a sniper for me. Abut the models everything looking the same is some kind of lame..could you at least add different colors or body tattoos...IIRC this is rather cheap and don't require so much effort as new models would. What I'm concerned about right now is heroes cost - it seems that on 250 AP we would have hero+2 or 3 units...for me that's to few for a nice strategic battle. I would rather see 5-9 units as optimum. Basing on those wolf troops cost; maybe you could consider changing rating battles AP limit to 300-400...I didn't saw AP costs for other factions so I could be wrong. Thats why I will look forward for more info. In the mean time could you at least provide us with info how numerous are your testing war bands?

MhBlis

PostTue May 27, 2014 11:42 pm

I personally like what I see. Each profile has a specific niche it is trying to fill which means we can build armies to much better excel at a specific goal or style. This also means when you make different Heroes it is only going to lend to that more.

I'm not going to comment on the profiles themselves since testing on a large scale is the only thing that will tell.

What I will say is please please please name stuff properly. Accuracy is not + damage it should be +Accuracy (chance to hit) since that is the very definition of the world. This is the perfect time to do translations as well.

Lastly no new skills? I hope you guys do consider them in future since it would help flavor and variety.

Loving the direction for units and army building I see here.

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed May 28, 2014 7:29 am

Hod wrote:Are these three units going to look very different from one another?
+
Unfortunately, no. It would have been great but we don't have the resources to do it. It won't change much from what you have now with the skill tree when the same 3D unit could be used for very different units in regards to their levels and/or skills.

i was thinking about that - and maybe diferent circles around units - while the colour is bound to a player there are three options imo:

- shape - circle, hex, triange, star or some fancy confrontation marker
- outline - full, double, dots, lines
- floating marker with fancy or modern army symbol (or triclor dot) - that is quite common in games having different profiles for unit with same model and textures.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Dr.Ido

Site Admin

PostWed May 28, 2014 8:20 am

We're still targeting a release by mid june. If anything happened that forces us to postpone I'll tell you as soon as I'll know.

Dr.Ido

Site Admin

PostWed May 28, 2014 9:08 am

Regarding the Harpooner, there might be a misunderstanding since I initialy described it as a snipper when it's more of a huge damage dealer with a siginficant random factor. I edited the first post to reflect that.

skydancer

PostWed May 28, 2014 10:55 am

I think that talk about profile now is pretty useless.
Every profile could be epic or bad, it's a matter of the unit composition and hero ability.
For balance discussion we need to wait the full roaster of every army.
~ work in progress ~

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed May 28, 2014 1:55 pm

skydancer wrote:I think that talk about profile now is pretty useless.
Every profile could be epic or bad, it's a matter of the unit composition and hero ability.
For balance discussion we need to wait the full roaster of every army.

true
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

MhBlis

PostWed May 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Dr.Ido wrote:Regarding the Harpooner, there might be a misunderstanding since I initialy described it as a snipper when it's more of a huge damage dealer with a siginficant random factor. I edited the first post to reflect that.

Ok this statement scares me and really you are killing a unit right there. Random is not something that should ever be applied. Look at stuff like "survival instinct ". What many players have said over and over is "We want something we can be sure of the outcome of not something that might do something some time."

I would not be surprised if I'm not the only one in this boat but I would much rather take something that will deal consistent mediocre damage when I want it over something that might deal big damage.

Random is not fun, it's not tactical and it's not strategic.

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Ok this statement scares me and really you are killing a unit right there. Random is not something that should ever be applied.

as long randomness came from low ACC its all ok because its up to you to decide how close you want get to enemy before shoot and with enemy pick as a target. Acheron Skeletons may have low ACC but many times i shoot them with 90 or even 100% hit chance. Currently they are imo most universal archers.
PreviousNext

Return to News