It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Change is coming...

Let's talk about official announcements.
  • Author

MhBlis

Re: Change is coming...

PostTue May 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Deuzerre has hit the nail on the head.
Deuzerre wrote:Koth & VIP are imperfect, so deathmatch became the most interesting one.

The problem I found was with the way the scenario was setup rather than the scenarios themselves. A lot of the time I was playing against the mechanics rather than my opponent. This often meant that I could not build the army I wanted to to play the style I wanted to.

Deuzerre wrote:In DoWO, it would also mean that you can build your company for different goals, with focus on different objectives, or generalistics. Do I want to get an assault to maybe snipe his VIP, or do I buy two of them to be sure to kill it but become vulnerable in terms of deathmatch conditions?

And yes 40k is imbalanced in its current form at lower points values. At their tournament size an up armies are well balanced because each army can build towards a style of play that can still give them a victory.

Marines take and hold objectives.
Tyranids wipe everything off the board.
Tau snipe the key pieces from the board while they manuaver for position.

Errol Flynn

PostWed May 21, 2014 3:25 am

Wow that is a different direction. I do not play this anymore because it has been getting patched in circles since I started playing (open beta). The direction headed sounds very much against the grain for what I hoped for this game. Trying to make a turn based MOBA to go up against the benchmark in F2P games (DOTA2) is absolutely crazy. I hope the devs are familiar with DOTA, LoL and Air Mech (my personal favourite) so they are aware of the quality and appeal of the games they are seeking to compete with.
Those games also understand that huge variety for players means there is so much less focus on balance, there are good things, bad things and fun things and they all get used.

This game appears to be based on some pretty solid TT mechanics, but is missing things like multi-level battlefields so there can be higher ground, troops entering and firing from buildings etc.
One thing that I do not get about the devs is that the majority of players said they like DM, they would prefer to only play DM and the devs have removed it.

A big problem with player retention I think is the core group of players. If you are a new player you are likely way out gunned skill wise when playing a veteran. You are very likely to play a veteran due to the size of the community and most new players leaving.

I liked this game because I like TT games and there are few if any good PC conversions. Devs do surveys, and surprise, surprise survey says: merge with the pack, be like something else that is already successful. People who do surveys are people who do surveys, not necessarily the people with the right answers.

I would like to say I will come and give it a look once the new stuff is live, but sadly for the devs there is a new game born every minute these days so it is unlikely I will give this more chances, or any Cyanide release. This game has struggled to work out what it wants to be and will more than likely be little more than a case study on the perils of open player testing. Chewed up and spat out before it was even cooked.

Anyways all the best for the future. Think I'll dust off the miniatures next time I get the urge for TT. If I feel like faster paced games I will go and play one of the award winning totally free MOBAS that are available.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

DeathsAdvocate

PostWed May 21, 2014 4:34 am

Deuzerre wrote:Koth & VIP are imperfect, so deathmatch became the most interesting one.

Not true at all, even if Koth and Vip were perfect and better the majority of people would STILL prefer deathmatch. Yea other modes can add strategy and depth to the game, but so can simply increasing the content and working to balance deathmatch. The strategy and depth should be in the fighting and killing of your opponents army in a variety of settings, and the variety of army builds.

And while the post above me does seem to have missed alot about the good things in direction your going and questions you have answered his concerns were still similar to mine, scrapping a beautiful game model to go a completely different and somewhat questionable route really worries me.

I feel the effort should be put into balancing the game and adding more content, and of course designing it around the most popular and demanded mode deathmatch, or at least having complete elimination being the primary objective in your new mega mode with other scenarios like map control and vip killing providing a bonus to this task as apposed to being strait up alternative ways to win.

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed May 21, 2014 6:06 am

Trying to make a turn based MOBA to go up against the benchmark in F2P games (DOTA2) is absolutely crazy. I hope the devs are familiar with DOTA, LoL and Air Mech (my personal favourite) so they are aware of the quality and appeal of the games they are seeking to compete with.

for f*** same who and when said that chandes will go into moba crap direction?
Obligatory hero is most common restriction among tabletop games and was obligatory in all Confrontation games (ok i not sure about C1 but ist more a myth than a game :P) and at the time all 100+ ap units could be called heroes without even changing their stats or mechanics.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Hod

PostWed May 21, 2014 6:21 am

DeathsAdvocate wrote:

Not true at all, even if Koth and Vip were perfect and better the majority of people would STILL prefer deathmatch. Yea other modes can add strategy and depth to the game, but so can simply increasing the content and working to balance deathmatch. The strategy and depth should be in the fighting and killing of your opponents army in a variety of settings, and the variety of army builds.

And while the post above me does seem to have missed alot about the good things in direction your going and questions you have answered his concerns were still similar to mine, scrapping a beautiful game model to go a completely different and somewhat questionable route really worries me.

I feel the effort should be put into balancing the game and adding more content, and of course designing it around the most popular and demanded mode deathmatch, or at least having complete elimination being the primary objective in your new mega mode with other scenarios like map control and vip killing providing a bonus to this task as apposed to being strait up alternative ways to win.

I really agree with this. I loved the strategies that could be used in Death Match. The more I digest these changes, the more the removal of the total inhalation goal scares me - for how much I will enjoy this new game.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Deuzerre

PostWed May 21, 2014 7:53 am

KotH and VIP constricted the player in his tactical choices. VIP one side could sit all day while on KotH it heavily favoured some types of armies.

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed May 21, 2014 9:11 am

We are still waiting for any info that can be base for constructive help in development or pre balancing or anything ;P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

MhBlis

PostWed May 21, 2014 9:19 am

Yeah the people I bought into the game have for the most part been scared off by the fact that this seems to be a rework from the ground up. Now I'm not sure if the devs said they aim for a next month patch (June) if so really we should be seeing some of the info rolled out so it can at least be cursory scanned.

Right now this game is in a holding pattern. No real reason to try anything because a revamp is coming and no idea what it is going to be like so may as well go out and find something else.

I'll hang around to see what comes out in the first patch and what choices and direction the devs focus on.

Dr.Ido

Site Admin

PostWed May 21, 2014 9:46 am

2 things :
1/ it will not be a Moba, not even some kind of turn based moba. Dogs of War will remain a tactical turn based game with slightly different rules than the current ones and (hopefully) much more fun and interesting.

2/ more information will come soon.

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed May 21, 2014 1:04 pm

2/ more information will come soon.

ok we are waiting :P

comunity may be not big but its quite sesonable

problem is tht each community needs news ;)
especialy to stay active and usefull ;)

at the time i cant even help with by writing review - becouse it would be outdated instantly ;)
PreviousNext

Return to News