It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

Changelog beta 0.12.12

Let's talk about official announcements.
  • Author

Bousk

Site Admin

Re: Changelog beta 0.12.12

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi,
TomaszK wrote:There is something wrong with a server game after this patch. Three attempts, and all games broken. Waste of time. Please fix it, and the open for players.

Could you give more information ? :geek:
Actually, servers seem fine and no errors are reported on game servers.

Only 1 of your last games failed, due to a connection issue from you or your opponent. The game could not start with missing player(s).
While 2 games were lost because of a connection issue from your side.
Dogs of War Online - Dev Team

DeathsAdvocate

PostThu May 01, 2014 12:17 am

Worst patch of all time. Bring back mode selection, most people play a tactical war game to kill stuff. Deathmatch is the only fun mode, and its the only balanced one. Not to mention you need completely different set ups for each of these which means you need to farm way more to have all your stuff, oh wait whats that farming is no longer allowed there is no xp from training, you are now forced to play online with incomplete unleveled groups and don't even get to play deathmatch.

I'm quitting till I can select deathmatch only, and also I hope you bring back training but that ones just annoying, where as random mode I refuse to play with. I think most people agree. Really pissed because I just spent money on the game yesterday.

Patch is also rife with bugs, the most noticeable being that you can not gain any xp even in pvp matches.

jedihowling

PostThu May 01, 2014 2:22 am

Darkarash wrote:- Units are now automatically sorted by decreasing "importance"

This is nice! Thanks for this update! It would be great if this can be applied this to the deployment UI as well. It can be very confusing and time consuming sometimes to change roster during deployment when the units are all mixed up.

Another update suggestion would be sorting your units by teams.

You are given the option to create several teams pre-set and you can select these teams on the deployment UI instead of scrambling to change your roster one unit at a time before the time expires. This way, I wont have to list down my army compositions outside the game.

Of course you should still be left with the option to change your roster one unit at a time and not use pre-set teams during deployment if you want to.

You can start with no pre-set team slots initially(as empty existing team slots would just look like clutter really) but can create them one at a time or not at all.

Deep Blue

PostThu May 01, 2014 9:36 am

DeathsAdvocate wrote:Worst patch of all time. Bring back mode selection, most people play a tactical war game to kill stuff. Deathmatch is the only fun mode, and its the only balanced one. Not to mention you need completely different set ups for each of these which means you need to farm way more to have all your stuff, oh wait whats that farming is no longer allowed there is no xp from training, you are now forced to play online with incomplete unleveled groups and don't even get to play deathmatch.

I'm quitting till I can select deathmatch only, and also I hope you bring back training but that ones just annoying, where as random mode I refuse to play with. I think most people agree. Really pissed because I just spent money on the game yesterday.

Patch is also rife with bugs, the most noticeable being that you can not gain any xp even in pvp matches.

i think the mode selection was bad so i disagree with you there. Reasons:

-there is less skill involved if you create a band specifically tailored for certain game modes
-a skilled player can win any game mode with the same band...plus...can't you change your team setup in the pre-match window?
- i think deathmatch isn't the most balanced mode, probably dominion is in my opinion. Why? because people are forced not to play turtle often.

about the training...the xp gained there was AWESOME if you knew how to abuse it (Raising an elite from lvl 1 to 4 in half an hour...). Now the only option for new players is either to spend money OR go play with a not-so perfect band. In my opinion training XP should be bring back but toned down depending on the training mode. I mean it felt funny before when i could get 30+XP per match on one unit in 2 minutes by using training mission 1. Simply give a reason for "hard" training missions which require some thinking and give a good chunk of xp as a reward (if you win).

so all in all, i like the changes but i can see why training mode changes will create a drama (as i could see that before it was wrong for Cyanide :D )
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

jedihowling

PostThu May 01, 2014 10:56 am

This really is a matter of preference. I'm all about new challenges and tactical game play but I'm afraid that the popularity of the Deathmatch mode cannot be undone. Newbies will always go for the simplest mode(Deathmatch) and I'm afraid we have more newbies than regular players every week.

Appreciating King of the Hill and VIP Mode comes after gaining some experience with the game or after you feel comfortable with the game or once you have felt you have in some sense mastered the game. I dont expect newbies to like them right away.

For a complete newbie with only level 1 units from the start up teams and no advanced units yet(unless they bought new units), playing King of the Hill and VIP mode right away may prove too complicated and frustrating for them as I am sure they will be expecting an all out Deathmatch mode which is more basic and easy to understand. This most likely will not encourage them to play the game some more.

A lot of regular players are also voicing out on global chat that they don't like the game mode preference removed.

I am a Wolfen player and I am supposed to be happy with this change but bottom line is, this is killing the popularity of the game and I don't like that.

I say create a poll to ask everyone whether we like a strictly random match making scheme or to set game mode preferences to see how everyone feels.

Hod

PostThu May 01, 2014 12:16 pm

If the devs are trying to make this game more appealing to new players, two things in this new patch seem to be counter-productive, in my opinion.

1) No Exp from training. Now New players have to jumping into PvP with no leveled units and get creamed while they level up (or spend money, maybe that was the point behind this).

2) Getting ride of Map preference. Taking away options never makes someone happy, especially if they are already trying to decide whether they like the game or not. Before, if a new player got creamed in a VIP game, they would just un-select that mode so they didn't have to go through that again. Now, they feel like they are helpless, and have a higher chance of just quitting then possibly playing in a mode they perceived to be not fun for them.

Just my two cents about the new patch and keeping new players around.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Astralwyrm

PostThu May 01, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm no fan of these changes myself... but i think it's a result of player numbers dwindling. See if the devs add any new game modes under the old system they could end up segregating the players even more which would not be helpful considering the situation. Doing this allows them to add additional modes without adversely effecting what population they have left and continue to build on the game. Thats what i think anyway.

I think theres also a bit of players not wanting to wait a week to obtain 3 cyans or grind throughout the week to get 50 and only if your good enough to win matches against real opponents. There needs to be a relaxing of the way cyans are handed out, i know thats a hard issue because the company needs to make money but the impression is that there is a massive wall keeping them from obtaining cyans. The game needs more consumables, more things to spend cyans and ducats on and the game needs to award cyans in a similar fashion to hearthstone (yes i guess i'm just a big fan of card games). I'm not saying to remove the leaderboard rewards but players who aren't *as* competetive need to be rewarded too or they will just walk away.

I've noticed the quest journal though it doesn't seem to have any use? So i don't know if anyone can fill me in on why thats there but not used. I think A good thing to do would be go with quests like Hearthstone does it but obviously in a way applicable to this game. Quests like use hymn of destiny x times, kill x enemies, parry x attacks. Encourage players to make use of some of those more situational units so as to achieve the quests so even if they lose they make progress and there is less perfect teams running around.

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu May 01, 2014 12:55 pm

For now, Parry will trigger on any melee attack, as long as you did not activate your unit.
The intended version should be : Parry works only once per enemy activation, and it does not matter whether you activated your unit this turn or not.

Sounds much better but im still unsure if its good or not for such high ap point... but ill try to check that after the fix. Or it was hot fixed already?

As for new players... only problem with King of the hill and Vip i can see - is situation when player misses the point of scenario... im not sure why but i meet some players that played KotH and Vip like regular games and lost in 2-3 turns (600:0 victory in KotH its not possible normally)... even all my in-game suggestions in such games was ignored - so my idea is that non English (speaking) players have problem with both communication and reading mission briefings.

So im also happy about removing option to choose only one scenario and trying to abuse.

But back to new players - I will once again remind that current Wolfens are terribly weak while propably half of nw players will choose them over two others - because they looks fresh and strong. After some massacres - they will be not exactly happy about 0:10 loos ratio :P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

TomaszK

PostThu May 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Bousk wrote:Hi,
TomaszK wrote:There is something wrong with a server game after this patch. Three attempts, and all games broken. Waste of time. Please fix it, and the open for players.

Could you give more information ? :geek:
Actually, servers seem fine and no errors are reported on game servers.

Only 1 of your last games failed, due to a connection issue from you or your opponent. The game could not start with missing player(s).
While 2 games were lost because of a connection issue from your side.

It's all ok now. Thanks.

jedihowling

PostThu May 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
As for new players... only problem with King of the hill and Vip i can see - is situation when player misses the point of scenario... im not sure why but i meet some players that played KotH and Vip like regular games and lost in 2-3 turns (600:0 victory in KotH its not possible normally)... even all my in-game suggestions in such games was ignored - so my idea is that non English (speaking) players have problem with both communication and reading mission briefings.

I honestly think the problem roots deeper than just misinformed players regarding the game mechanics.

I mean if you are trying to find a new game to play, like in my case, let's say I wanted to play an online turn-based strategy game like Heroes of Might and Magic. I end up finding Dogs of War Online and I was very happy. I play my 1st match and by chance I get to play King of the Hill or VIP mode. Even if I read the game mechanics and understood it, It will only be very frustrating for me as I was originally expecting a deathmatch.

I mean no one really wants to search the Internet for a good game of King of the Hill or Protect the VIP. Mostly everyone will want a deathmatch which is always simple and always expected

Being a newbie, this initial experience may just prompt me to leave the game altogether.

As I have mentioned earlier, I think the VIP and King of The Hill Modes can be appreciated best by experienced players. Newbies, regardless if they know the game mechanics or not, will tend to expect a deathmatch.

You are supposed to be having fun with the game. If you want players to stay and enjoy, let them fight on whichever match mode they want first. A mode they are comfortable in. Newbie or not, being forced to play a game mode you don't like is just not fun.
PreviousNext

Return to News