It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

Changelog beta 0.12.12

Let's talk about official announcements.
  • Author

Dragon_Warrior

Re: Changelog beta 0.12.12

PostThu May 01, 2014 2:46 pm

I mean if you are trying to find a new game to play, like in my case, let's say I wanted to play an online turn-based strategy game like Heroes of Might and Magic. I end up finding Dogs of War Online and I was very happy. I play my 1st match and by chance I get to play King of the Hill or VIP mode. Even if I read the game mechanics and understood it, It will only be very frustrating for me as I was originally expecting a deathmatch.

One of this players was quite high in ranking that week and even higher in next ones ;)

maybe in full game - when we get more players - protection time for ranks 1-5 or 1-10 will be back and they will play only deatmatch or something like that.

but to be hones - while im happy that game gets many HUD/LOBBY upgrades - i seek mostly a balanced and challenging gameplay - that needs more fixes and diversity over visuals ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

jedihowling

PostThu May 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
Jedihowling wrote:I mean if you are trying to find a new game to play, like in my case, let's say I wanted to play an online turn-based strategy game like Heroes of Might and Magic. I end up finding Dogs of War Online and I was very happy. I play my 1st match and by chance I get to play King of the Hill or VIP mode. Even if I read the game mechanics and understood it, It will only be very frustrating for me as I was originally expecting a deathmatch.

One of this players was quite high in ranking that week and even higher in next ones ;)

The patch was enforced yesterday. You cant possibly get weeks of information about this already :lol:

Dragon_Warrior wrote:maybe in full game - when we get more players - protection time for ranks 1-5 or 1-10 will be back and they will play only deatmatch or something like that.

Temporarily playing deathmatch for a few weeks and being forced to play random several weeks later does not matter to someone who wants to JUST play deathmatch. Apparently, there are a lot who feel this way, current players and noobs alike(as seen on global chat). The game will still lose players if this was implemented.

I mean I'm all for advanced tactical gameplay and variational challenges but not at the expense of trimming down the game's already rather slim fan base. I dont want to be fighting the same people over and over again.

Dragon_Warrior wrote:but to be hones - while im happy that game gets many HUD/LOBBY upgrades - i seek mostly a balanced and challenging gameplay - that needs more fixes and diversity over visuals ;)

We all have the same interests but newbies will be newbies. Since you have played this game for quite sometime, you now appreciate other game modes such as VIP and KOTH. You cannot expect newbies to to have the same understanding and expectation as you regarding the game(not until they get to your level of experience with the game). If they do not like their first impression of the game, they leave.

So all in all, this patch in my opinion, basically decreases the game's popularity both to current players and newbies. I have seen a lot of players leave already and it is just sad.

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu May 01, 2014 4:36 pm

The patch was enforced yesterday. You cant possibly get weeks of information about this already

As i knew - even before it was slight chance to play scenario that you switched off.
I personaly played long time without VIP becouse i belived that at the time it was too random.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

jedihowling

PostThu May 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
The patch was enforced yesterday. You cant possibly get weeks of information about this already

As i knew - even before it was slight chance to play scenario that you switched off.
I personaly played long time without VIP becouse i belived that at the time it was too random.

Yes my friend, there was a slight chance to play a random match in the previous patches. That was always there but this current patch completely removes your match preference. If indeed you have played for a long time, you should/would know how different it is back then and now. It is a completely different story, so we cannot compare data from previous patches, weeks/months back.

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu May 01, 2014 10:01 pm

yes - but still winning with wolfens is easy in each scenario now :P

and this is main problem for me now - not the fact that someone cant abse by playing only Vip or something like that ...

as for newbies... as i said before - adding "protection" time up to rank 5 with deatmatch only would be nice... but it will make finding games harder for those playes and they will see game as less popular than it is ;)

BTW
During Chimera and Guardian Angel selfies tests i found a GREAT NINJA FIX... Hyperian stopped preventing from getting +1 STR bonus from Lions Strength... its great to see it. Anyone can confirm that for Righteous?

SoulCollector

PostFri May 02, 2014 4:47 am

I think this patch brought some good changes to the game but to be honest I also hate to lose the option of selecting the type of match I want to play, in my case there is a reason why I never played Koth or Vip mode, I just never liked them. Being forced to play this modes will just make my interest for the game diminish more and more.

I think I know why the devs did this, like someone else said before me it is pretty much to join everyone on the same queue for faster match ups, this will make some people happy and some other people (like me) very unhappy.

Almanro

PostFri May 02, 2014 5:50 am

Unfortunately I've only had time to read the hot fix but not to play the game. However with this patch it seems they solved a lot of problems like the "running" last-unit, the overpowered Lion archers, etc. and it seems they improved many other aspects.

Regarding the fact that they eliminated the possibility to choose which type of match to play, personally I like the idea since it gives more variation to the game, however I would offer to the new players the choice to avoid KotH and Noble before they hit lvl15-20 respectively, to allow them to play DM till they can comprehend better how the game works (it was this way in closed beta).
At the moment, allowing the players to play only DM will reduce too much the people playing the other two modes, creating longer waiting times and less and less people playing those. A valid alternative may be to introduce some incentives to play them (e.g. separate ladder, quest objectives like "win 50 KitH with Acheron to get 500 gold", etc.).

Moreover, the idea that those maps are easier for Wolfen is true till you're inexperienced, after that, just try to add to your company in the pre-match a couple of Lions of Wars and Gargoyles with many other low AP units and you'll see that they can be more effective than any Wolfen unit to kill the noble, thanks to the fact that the Wolfen are almost always heavily outnumbered and they almost always have only the possible strategy to rush towards your units. Obviously this means that you have to think carefully how to set your company in the pre-match not only based on the type of enemy army you're going to face, but also based on the type of mission you're going to do! So you'll need certain troops for the DM and others for the KotH and so on, but now that you can buy so many slots for different units, with only mission incomes alone you can buy a new unit almost every two days and you can reset your unit abilities that is not a terrible problem

Have a nice weekend,

Almanro

PS: I also like the exp removal from the training missions, it was an easy trick to farm the low lvl ones to lvl up all your units in few hours!

Dragon_Warrior

PostFri May 02, 2014 10:28 am

PS: I also like the exp removal from the training missions, it was an easy trick to farm the low lvl ones to lvl up all your units in few hours!

i don't agree with that - few hours is quite much and should be rewarded. The problem is that i heard that training could be abused for exping unit in 2 minutes - but i don't knew how and would be nice if Deep Blue will say how it worked ;)

Astralwyrm

PostFri May 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Thats got to be a bit of an exageration i would say. Going by the method i did following Deep Blue's instructions of spamming training mission number 1 with 2 units deployed. You got about 28 exp per match on average with the Skull Warrior. I'm not sure if i'm right but i think having the second unit in the team even though you do nothing with it but move it away from the enemy increased the exp your other unit obtained. I'm sure i tried to attempt it with the Skull Warrior on his own and got less exp for my trouble.

MhBlis

PostSat May 03, 2014 9:34 am

I'm going to step through this but my overall impression here is a BIG THUMBS DOWN. This patch hurts new players in practically every aspect.

There is some balance issues which remains which affect many of these so I won't list it over and over. Wolves come to mind. Certain armies just don't have solutions to dealing with certain builds leading to auto quit games and players lost.

Gameplay
- Decreased overall XP given per action

This is fine it slows the growth down but really has no overall impact on game play.

- Removed matchmaking map preferences

This is a great idea in theory but in practice it is awful. Even reading the explanations and having tried them a few times. 1. The maps themselves are unbalances leading to lopsided games
2. The mechanics are still a mystery and as a new player you've lost a player. You MUST address this in training or in a tutorial even if you revert this change.
3. I don't like some of those modes why should I be forced to play them.
4. Company management when I get a game is a pain having to change it each time before a match is just awful. Pre saved companies is now a must. Make it a Cyan option I'm pretty sure you will find it one of the most purchased options.

- When reaching 3min of MatchMaking waiting time, a match in a lower bracket can be proposed

1. I don't want to play 250 now being dumped down a tier and having to tweak my company is a pain. Especially if I have to do this every time. List making is slow and cumbersome. Pre-saved lists please.
2. So my strong list now gets to play against the brand new started lists.
3. I chose to play in the higher AP brackets why not let us choose multiple AP brackets rather than forcing us lower. Many are not playing the smaller bracket games anyways. Either they quit or they re-que. I suggested listing the numbers in que and games to see if I'm wasting my time trying to que but there are other ways to attend to this,

- Connected some 1st win rewards to Solo match
- Once won Practice match will earn much fewer rewards
- Practice maps are now locked and need to be won to progress to unlock next maps

Makes sense was surprised that it wasn't this way.

- Practice maps now give no more XP to units

1. The people who this hurts are the new players. Getting stomped because you only have part companies does not appeal. Players lost.

I can't comment on the combat changes until more testing is done.

The patch seems to be directed at slowing the growth of companies thus prolonging play time. The problem is right now you have barriers to new players and the older players have already played out the content so build swapping is actually less appealing. At this stage to hold onto the older players new factions, units or game modes are the only way from those I've spoken to and the threads on forum.
PreviousNext

Return to News