It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

Necromancer spell and casting difficulty

A place where you can talk about your strategies
  • Author

SenSx

Necromancer spell and casting difficulty

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 4:29 am

Hi,

I have a lvl 3 necromancer with healing spell that I play in 300 PA, but I don't understand what a difficulty of 14 means ?
I don't know how casting works, with VOL I guess, and necromancer has 14 VOL, but the tutorial do not even explain it ><
It scared me a litle, so I also chose the ability to make spells easier to cast, instead of the ability to have 1 more mana per round.
But did i make the right choice ?
If a difficulty of 14 is not that much for a lvl 3 necromancer, maybe it is a mistake, but I would hate not to have very low risk to fail the cast and get damaged.

What are the optimized spell possibilties for necromancer ?

Thx

IConquer

Re: Necromancer spell and casting difficulty

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 8:07 am

The formula for almost any roll is easily calculated as:

80% + 5%*(User's.stat - opposing.stat)

so, for example, a skeleton warrior attacks a swordsman. The skelly's accuracy is 9, and the opposing stat is the swordsman's parry, which is 11. the formula then reads as 80% + 5%*(9-11), which is 70% chance to hit. (this is why swordsmen are good).

In the case of the necromancer's incantation rolls, it is simple to calculate. A caster casts spells using their will stat compared to the spell's difficulty as the "opposing stat". So with the necromancer's Will of 14, the "respite of the dead"'s difficulty of 14, the formula reads as 80% + 5%*(14-14), or simply 80%.

This is affected by the necromancer's "Mastery of the arcana" ability, which adds 20% to the incantation roll, putting the roll at a nice even 100%. (I believe mastery of the arcana is the best choice on a necro that takes healing.)

Note that this is just the basics of calculating a roll. There are several other factors that can affect a roll, including, but not limited to, things such as encirclement or penalties associated with a non-warrior caster trying to cast a spell while engaged.

Deep Blue

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 10:29 am

SenSx wrote:Hi,

I have a lvl 3 necromancer with healing spell that I play in 300 PA, but I don't understand what a difficulty of 14 means ?
I don't know how casting works, with VOL I guess, and necromancer has 14 VOL, but the tutorial do not even explain it ><
It scared me a litle, so I also chose the ability to make spells easier to cast, instead of the ability to have 1 more mana per round.
But did i make the right choice ?
If a difficulty of 14 is not that much for a lvl 3 necromancer, maybe it is a mistake, but I would hate not to have very low risk to fail the cast and get damaged.

What are the optimized spell possibilties for necromancer ?

Thx

as a more strategical view...you did a good choice. Respite of the death is quite risky and mastery of arcana is kind of mandatory if you want a healer in your comp. Without it you have 85% chance of casting it successfully (at full health, not engaged or charged). This percentage goes down drammatically as you are wounded/engaged and so on, making the heal very risky as nothing sucks more to make your hard-boiled golem lose 10 Hp :-)
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

SenSx

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 3:36 pm

That is pretty clear, thanks guys.
The skelleton puppet explosion spell looked nice on paper, but I don't know it felt risky, lots of mana would be spent for summoning both skellotons and then explosing them, leaving me outnumbered with poor units and no mana left on top of that...

That is why I chose healing instead.
One mana per round would be nice, but I much prefer a 100% success rate for healing indeed.
I forgot that wounds also affect the chances to succeed a spell, that explains why I failed my heals sometimes.

Dragon_Warrior

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Without it you have 85% chance of casting it successfully

currently its 80% ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 5:30 pm

SenSx wrote:That is pretty clear, thanks guys.
The skelleton puppet explosion spell looked nice on paper, but I don't know it felt risky, lots of mana would be spent for summoning both skellotons and then explosing them, leaving me outnumbered with poor units and no mana left on top of that...

That is why I chose healing instead.
One mana per round would be nice, but I much prefer a 100% success rate for healing indeed.
I forgot that wounds also affect the chances to succeed a spell, that explains why I failed my heals sometimes.

you go with morbid explosion mostly because is situational (you might use it once per game) + costs few AP and goes well with recovery.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Return to Strategy Forum