It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

You ever thought about how scary a necro would be if...

A place where you can talk about your strategies
  • Author

IConquer

You ever thought about how scary a necro would be if...

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 11:17 pm

if his morbid puppets had good stats?

2x Necromancer 3, Heal/Mastery
2x skeleton warrior 3, hardboiled/martyr
2x skeleton archer 2, ferocious
1x black paladin 4, occult erosion/exalted/somatic transfer

398 AP. the neat thing is that the composition meets 400 AP exactly if you choose exhausting touch, but you lose out on the fun aspect of bombing the enemy team with steroid-skeletons.

Earlier today I finally got my paladin to 4 and took it on my first test drive. The amusing result was that every time he got near my puppets, something got hurt pretty bad, even to the point near the end of the game where said somatic transferred puppet was given an offensive stance and dealt 30 damage to the mage, finishing him off. Puppet MVP.

The idea behind the composition is that you are given the ability to simply throw away strong units with impunity, and if they even hit one guy once, it was a good deal, far better of a deal than you usually get with regular puppets. with the big accuracy boost, it's far more likely to get that good deal, as well. best part is, you can have two of them out at one time since the ability lasts for 2 turns. Black paladin will also only get the debuff once, and the debuff expires 2 turns after it was first applied, which means it's also possible to have a steroid puppet on its second turn and the paladin at full stats.

Dragon_Warrior

Re: You ever thought about how scary a necro would be if...

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 pm

only two archers in current meta is a bad idea ;)

throw out:

2x feriocious
hardboiled + martyr from one warrior
both or one necros down to lev 2

check if you can add two archers ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

IConquer

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:only two archers in current meta is a bad idea ;)

throw out:

2x feriocious
hardboiled + martyr from one warrior
both or one necros down to lev 2

check if you can add two archers ;)

well, I don't like losing a level 3 from either necro, as it lowers my total healing potential. A level 2 necro I will almost never use to heal, because that 20% chance to hurt/kill your unit instead is too high.

However, losing hardboiled/martyr from one warrior and losing both ferocious does give me room for 1 more archer, which is an interesting thought. the only thing I'm worried about is how I'd deal with tanky units, but in the current meta that doesn't actually seem significant of an issue.

I can also trade in my now level 1 warrior in this situation for a 4th archer, and this would put me at exactly 400 AP, but I also worry about my front line when I do that.

It's an interesting set of trade-offs, and I'm not sure which I do or do not want to take. I'd have to think about it.

Dragon_Warrior

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 12:10 am

but I also worry about my front line when I do that.

you have 4 puppets in front line already ;)

about necros - it may be risky but i prefer play that way ... despite my unlucky rolls ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 1:35 am

IConquer wrote:if his morbid puppets had good stats?

2x Necromancer 3, Heal/Mastery
2x skeleton warrior 3, hardboiled/martyr
2x skeleton archer 2, ferocious
1x black paladin 4, occult erosion/exalted/somatic transfer

398 AP. the neat thing is that the composition meets 400 AP exactly if you choose exhausting touch, but you lose out on the fun aspect of bombing the enemy team with steroid-skeletons.

Earlier today I finally got my paladin to 4 and took it on my first test drive. The amusing result was that every time he got near my puppets, something got hurt pretty bad, even to the point near the end of the game where said somatic transferred puppet was given an offensive stance and dealt 30 damage to the mage, finishing him off. Puppet MVP.

The idea behind the composition is that you are given the ability to simply throw away strong units with impunity, and if they even hit one guy once, it was a good deal, far better of a deal than you usually get with regular puppets. with the big accuracy boost, it's far more likely to get that good deal, as well. best part is, you can have two of them out at one time since the ability lasts for 2 turns. Black paladin will also only get the debuff once, and the debuff expires 2 turns after it was first applied, which means it's also possible to have a steroid puppet on its second turn and the paladin at full stats.

as we were discussing on general chat...i had a similar idea but i was thinking about

2x palas with somatic/exalted
3x skeletons with hardboiled+martyr
3x archers lvl 1

i think it was like that.

Strong point is that you have twice as much somatic transfer + you dont have to worry about the necros vs the wolven + somatic transfer and hardboiled stack, making those skeleton warriors VERY annoying (2-3 damage per hit!) also you will have a constant flow of faith which is nice.

As DW said archers are a must and 3 is ok. Ferocious currently is useless without elite units running around. If you go the necro route i would recommend recovery and maybe morbid explosion (or respite). Creating 2 puppets every turn is such a HUGE advantage.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Return to Strategy Forum