It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

Why I roll with Chastisement + Focus every day of the week.

A place where you can talk about your strategies
  • Author

Almanro

Re: Why I roll with Chastisement + Focus every day of the we

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Deep Blue wrote: The only build im surprised that i do not see often is the one with 3x lonewolves lvl 1(or 2) + 3x rune guardian lvl 2 + 1 lvl 4 with middle way. That one will make your fang zerg build a fair build :D

basically is like facing harassment stance that always hit and engaging only makes you much worse.

I played once against a company of 3 Lonewolf lvl1, 3 GoR lvl1 and 1 Archer lvl3 and I can confirm you that is much worse than having "only" 3 archers with harassment stance... but fun! :)

Deep Blue

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Almanro wrote:
Deep Blue wrote: The only build im surprised that i do not see often is the one with 3x lonewolves lvl 1(or 2) + 3x rune guardian lvl 2 + 1 lvl 4 with middle way. That one will make your fang zerg build a fair build :D

basically is like facing harassment stance that always hit and engaging only makes you much worse.

I played once against a company of 3 Lonewolf lvl1, 3 GoR lvl1 and 1 Archer lvl3 and I can confirm you that is much worse than having "only" 3 archers with harassment stance... but fun! :)

fun? playing against it? i think we have a different idea of "fun" then :D
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Phoxly

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 am

Deep Blue wrote:and i guess this is why the average wolven zerg has a middle way rune guardian :)

I only had 6 losses last week (Got 6th place in the rankings) and the only Wolfen to beat me was Tibirix and that wonderful "No spells or miracles within 8 hexes" business. :C Spread my guys out too far trying to compensate for it, and totally got overrun with Fangs Q~Q

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 am

Tibirix

he is greatest example - why Fangs should be nerfed ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

Phoxly wrote:
Deep Blue wrote:and i guess this is why the average wolven zerg has a middle way rune guardian :)

I only had 6 losses last week (Got 6th place in the rankings) and the only Wolfen to beat me was Tibirix and that wonderful "No spells or miracles within 8 hexes" business. :C Spread my guys out too far trying to compensate for it, and totally got overrun with Fangs Q~Q

i managed to beat him twice...with my wolven. Luckly my comp kind of counters his as i could have weakened his units before with the lonewolf+rune and the grave was too much for him to handle. When i played ram vs him as i was using a necro heavy team i had no chance as i was locked out every turn (initiative roll ftw) i think i lost 3 times as a ram, out of 3. As i said rune guardian middle way = once per game will be fair. Other than that, lonewolves are the biggest issue as a team of 3 (if you don't play 3 of them you don't want really want to win) can oneshot any non elite units every turn (3x prima attack of water) couple them with a rune guardian with the "nuke" and you get a team that can :

-Kite + regen heal + deal damage that always hits
-Break any turtle team as it can cast + hide / rape mages with internal rage (22 damage with focus every turn)
-support units with shields as well as heal them.

@dw: did the lonewolves had a regen ability in C3? because honestly i do not remember it.

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 11:00 am

@dw: did the lonewolves had a regen ability in C3? because honestly i do not remember it.

i don't remember exacly but they wouldn't be even mages ;)
they had some werid skills with throwing and smoke but i must scearch my home C archive to be sure of anything - Lonewolws was rare in times when i played on tournaments.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 11:30 am

Dragon_Warrior wrote:

i don't remember exacly but they wouldn't be even mages ;)
they had some werid skills with throwing and smoke but i must scearch my home C archive to be sure of anything - Lonewolws was rare in times when i played on tournaments.

they were warrior-mages :D

http://confrontationpills.altervista.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Wolfen-lonewolf-Confrontation-card-2.jpg - (notice they had hardboiled btw)

for the records, one spell that you might have seen before: http://confrontationpills.altervista.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Wolfen-lonewolf-Confrontation-card-5.jpg a bit different than mortification but i guess it can't be helped as every race needs a healing spell, i assume. Interesting fact is that they had access to a spell call Rapidity -> which can be translated in DoW into +1MOV -2TOU.

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 pm

ok - i mistaken them with prowlers... its when you write something form work ;)

now i remember them as a units casting Ring of Ice ;)

Serdak

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 5:59 pm

There are a million interesting spells in CONF (although perhaps 2/3 were either poorly priced or too niche to ever see play). It's irksome that the damage ones got focused on for DOW. I'd love to see mystics be more about support and "changing the rules of engagement", as it were, than simple nuking.

Honestly the last patch would have been very nicely balanced (for a certain definition of balanced) if every faction had access to a lockdown spell:

- Acheron has the Black Pally's touch, which is pretty cool. Kind of like Life Drain.
- Wolfen could have had Aquatic Shackles (target becomes MOV 0) or the Shackles spell from Whispers (which would probably be realized as a significant penalty to one unit's ACC). If you want to get real fun, realize the "two-edged sword" theme from many Wolfen spells and miracles, and make the penalty hit the Lonewolf too, with the spell only being broken if it cannot be maintained or the target moves too far away.
- Alahan might get Word of Confusion which could be realized in many ways - perhaps forcing the target to activate next. Another option is the miracle Renoucement, which would only target unengaged units but would reduce their attacks to 0, and prevent them from inflicting the "engaged" modifier until the end of the turn.

'Nother idea is to give access to a spell after the form of Strange Art, Asphyxia, Elemental Drowning, etc that bypasses TOU. Both archetypes (lockdown spell and TOU-ignoring damage spell) would effectively counter elites.

However magic in DOW is much more reliable than magic in CONF, so it'd be tricky to keep it balanced. The easiest way would be for difficulties to depend on the target's stats.
Previous

Return to Strategy Forum