It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

400 AP Lion - Nuke Army

A place where you can talk about your strategies
  • Author

Hybris

400 AP Lion - Nuke Army

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 1:22 am

Hey Guys,

I'm playing Dogs of war now for about 1 or 2 weeks. I'm not inexperienced in strategy games. I'am playing Wolfen and Lion and want to show you my 400AP Lion - Nuker Army.

So this is my setup:

2 Mages (67 AP-base each)
Level 2 :both: seal of Dellar'n (its the central spell of this army) (12AP)

one of them:
Level 3: recovery (8AP) + 10AP (Magic Level)
Level 4: chastisement of light (16AP)

The other:
Level 3: Mastery of the Arcana (6AP) + 10AP (Magic Level)
Level 4: Celestial scourge (19AP)

So we have one 113 and one 114 AP Mage, the central units of this nuke game (of course).

Then, of course, we have our living bombs, the sparklings.

2-3 (17AP base each)

If you want them higher level:

Level 2: Parry (2 AP)
Level 3: Ultimate sacrifice (5 AP)

makes 17 up to 24 AP for each of them.

And a Valkyrie (53 base-AP)
Faroable auspices 9Ap
and Fanatism (5AP)

Ok, we have know:

Two Mages, 114 AP and 113 AP makes 227 AP. Then we have between 34 up to 72 AP for the sparklings (I'll come to it later, why you can choose how much of them you have). And we got an Valkyrie (72): So we have a 371 AP Army.

So we have quite a good variability of how we really play. But first of all, i'll come to the most important part:

The general tactic:

Ok, short and quick:

The Sparklings fill up the Mana of the Mages.
The Valkyrie casts his healing spells on the sparklings.
One of our mages regenerates 4 Mana each turn: He is the one who casts the Seal on the Sparklings.
The Sparklings can move 6 fields an run even more: you run to the most important Units of the enemy or to units which are accumulated at one point and end your turn there. The Seal deals every unit which is in contact with the sparkling when it ends it turn about 9-11 dmg.
If the Sparkling doesn't die befor its next round, you can use it for attack or use its ultimate sacrifice spell - however, the Sparkling has done what it had to do: carry the seal.

With this tactic the sparkling deal about 40 dmg to the enemy team even before they come in touch with the real dmg dealer - the mages.

The sparklings weaken elite units, can deal a lot of dmg to swarming armies (which are everywhere after the patch) and can even kill necros before they become a problem.

The rest - some big units, 5 to 6 swordsman etc. are no problem at all for the mages and the valkyrie. I've killed 2 valkries and 4 swordsmen with my 2 mages and the valkyrie. No Mage died.

I play the following setup:

2 Mages (level 4 each) 227 AP
1 Valkyrie (Level 3) 73 Ap
2 Sparklings (Level 3 and Level 2)
1 Bowman (Level 2)

But you can also use 3 Sparklings Level 3 and no Bowman - its your choice.

Dragon_Warrior

Re: 400 AP Lion - Nuke Army

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 am

looks interesting but one healthy Wolfen will ran through it all ;)

but after PoB nerf to the ground - elites are indeed not so frequent.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 pm

just one question, does the "ultimate sacrifice" ability hits always or it works like a normal attack just with an increased damage?

other than that, im not a real lion player but my gut feelings tell me that you might be better off with a mage lvl 5 with the aoe damage + focus (OP combo as the +3 dam is applied to all units that get hit) given the current meta and another mage just lvl 3 (recovery + seal). Celestial scourge is in my opinion not that important for what you are trying to accomplish because you can't cast it 2x in one turn as you don't have the maximum mana for it (12) that you can get only at lvl 5.

a Lion mage lvl5 with the aoe damage + focus can cast it TWICE per turn (with the necessary mana) and can easily deal 10 damage to every basic unit...now if you can cast it twice and hit 3 units....60 damage per turn is not bad. Also the bigger mana pools allows you to stack more mana at the start, giving you the possibility to cast it twice every turn almost.

Ideal starting situation (imo):

2x sparkling give +4 mana in total to the lvl 5 mage which is at 8
mage lvl 3 gives seal x 2 to the sparklings

next turn:
assuming the lvl 5 mage didn't cast anything you are at 12 mana with it and you can cast it x2

third turn:
assuming you used it twice, you are at 8 mana and you can cast again 2 times the aoe damage spell.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Hybris

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Ok, first of all: a Wolf won't ran me out, ive played some wolfes and they lost - at 400AP dmg is dmg for the wolfen and can't be healed. So if they come near my mages, they get blocked by the valkyrie and killed by my nuke-mage.

Which brings me to the second thing: Celestial scourge deals 24 dmg and i can deal at least 9 dmg with the level 1 spell of the mage - meaning: I only need 9 mana to nearly kill nearly every unit.

But i get, that with the new patch a level 5 mage dealing AOE is prefered.

But what you forgot: The sparklings bring me at least 4 mana each - (They heal because of the valkyrie, so no problem at all to use them more than once. If they survive thier first encounter: use them as much as they can.) And you NEVER have a fight in the first round, even not with the wolfes. So you really have enough mana to deal with a big fight.

But thank you for your Ideas. I will test them as soon as i get a third Mage;)

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 am

But still a lone Fang can kill any one of your units with offensive stance. and Currently there is so many of them that even Chatisment have problem with taking them all ;P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 11:36 am

Hybris wrote:Ok, first of all: a Wolf won't ran me out, ive played some wolfes and they lost - at 400AP dmg is dmg for the wolfen and can't be healed. So if they come near my mages, they get blocked by the valkyrie and killed by my nuke-mage.

Which brings me to the second thing: Celestial scourge deals 24 dmg and i can deal at least 9 dmg with the level 1 spell of the mage - meaning: I only need 9 mana to nearly kill nearly every unit.

But i get, that with the new patch a level 5 mage dealing AOE is prefered.

But what you forgot: The sparklings bring me at least 4 mana each - (They heal because of the valkyrie, so no problem at all to use them more than once. If they survive thier first encounter: use them as much as they can.) And you NEVER have a fight in the first round, even not with the wolfes. So you really have enough mana to deal with a big fight.

But thank you for your Ideas. I will test them as soon as i get a third Mage;)

in my assumption i stated that you won't cast any spell on the first turn :D Yeah it is true that celestial + primal almost kills BUT i can assure you a nearly death unit can be deadly to a mage as well. I guess it comes down to personal preferences and as i said i dont play lion a lot. Level 5 for a mage is another world in terms of power, max mana 12 gives you an immense power for a relative low AP cost. The downside it that it takes ages to level them.

@dragon: WRONG :D fang can't kill 1 mage in offensive stance even if he charges him. It will have 1 hp left :-)

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 pm

@dragon: WRONG :D fang can't kill 1 mage in offensive stance even if he charges him. It will have 1 hp left :-)

I lost mine twice in this way - once when enemy luckily won the discipline roll...

so there are 3 options
- Fang lev 3 with mighty blow
- Critical on one of 3 strikes - today i played with 9 wolfens complany that scored at least 4-5 critical hits
- im not shure if its not one of this situation when damage is calculated STR+10 not +9... i would b realy happy if devs would give full damage formula...

Deep Blue

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:

I lost mine twice in this way - once when enemy luckily won the discipline roll...

so there are 3 options
- Fang lev 3 with mighty blow
- Critical on one of 3 strikes - today i played with 9 wolfens complany that scored at least 4-5 critical hits
- im not shure if its not one of this situation when damage is calculated STR+10 not +9... i would b realy happy if devs would give full damage formula...

mighty blow / crit can be the explanation but a plain fang (which is what is played mostly these days) can't - i tried it in training mode :)

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 12:37 am

thx

Return to Strategy Forum