It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 pm

Wolfen tips for beginners

A place where you can talk about your strategies
  • Author

Deep Blue

Re: Wolfen tips for beginners

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 am

GardenOfSun wrote:Also I do now realise that a tiny part of the idea relies on the impression that Ylia's Love and Mortal Insolence comboed together (basically making Ylia's Love unexpirable in the turn you use Mortal Insolence, since the Guardian should "ignore" the injuries). Am I correct in this assumption?

Mortal insolence does enough without ylia's love...and i mean it can bring you from 1 HP to 40 in 1 turn.

How-to tip:

-take exalted NOT elusive (even though it looks like part of the mortal insolence tree). This means that:
1. you can cast mortal insolence reliably even when critically wounded (which is when you will use it.)
2. you can disengage 2 times from an enemy(enemies) and getting HIT reliably which is 20 HP back - if one enemy. You can then pop even offensive stance and you take another 10 Hp back...without fearing some retaliation.

so all in all, ylia's love isn't that good. Often it is a delayed 5 hp heal for 3 faith unless you can reliably escape from an enemy with your crossbowmen (mind you this often means that getting faith will be also harder if your units are scattered around)
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

GardenOfSun

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 am

Oh, wait a minute: so Mortal Insolence ignoring injuries mean ignoring all *damage*, not just the injuries like "light injury", ecc.? If that's so I agree that Ylia's Love is useless (admittedly you're right that even if not 5 hp aren't that much of a difference).
Which it leads me to another question: does then Ylia's Love work like that too? Meaning that it doesn't dissipate on getting "light injury", ecc., but on taking ANY damage? Because if that's so it definitely needs a buff!

Also, do you guys still think the second comp I posted would be bad?

Deep Blue

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm

GardenOfSun wrote:Oh, wait a minute: so Mortal Insolence ignoring injuries mean ignoring all *damage*, not just the injuries like "light injury", ecc.? If that's so I agree that Ylia's Love is useless (admittedly you're right that even if not 5 hp aren't that much of a difference).
Which it leads me to another question: does then Ylia's Love work like that too? Meaning that it doesn't dissipate on getting "light injury", ecc., but on taking ANY damage? Because if that's so it definitely needs a buff!

even 1 damage would cleanse ylia's love. Mortal insolence ignores all damage + heals the rune guardian of 10 HP for each damage it prevents.

so yeah right now is quite a bit useless, especially at 3 faith cost (and every wolven warband has about 5 units usually... which means at least 4 of your wolven must be alive)

Useful links:

Almanro

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

The second company you proposed is missing melee units, so using a faithful in a company which should always scatter around to avoid being engaged & pursuited is not a good idea (you'll never get the faith points you need)

Deep Blue

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 pm

personally i really like rune guardians when paired with fangs...as you can sometimes go all out with them and ylia's wrath. Another good ylia's wrath target is the GG which has a high PAR/DOD. It also helps vs the golem if you have living dead scourge (+6 flat damage guaranteed...usually for a total of 8 damage per attacK). It is mainly my reason why i win vs HB golems - well not always as you gotta pray your GG parries at least 2 attacks (it will get bishotted anyway with or without ylia's wrath).

Useful links:

GardenOfSun

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 8:51 pm

I take your points about my second comp - you're probably right that, even if in my dreams I'd like to keep my bowmen together, that would probably be unpractical.
Do you think there are other possible comps revolving around Guardians and/or Lone Wolves? I'd like to try a magickal themed Wolf comp.

Venom

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 3:12 pm

I would not chose Wolfs for the start but at 400AP you can have a decent cheap Army. Grind it out with Undead and use the Dukat? for new Wolf units 1xfang 1xbow and 1xlonewolf and then go play 400 Ap Wolfs.

If you want you can lvl1 2xfangs (2AP) but remember later if you get a Worg. You need 3xfangs + Worg lvl2 for exactly 400AP. If you lvl this 2 fangs you can not use them later anymore with the Worg.

MomOw

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Wolfen are glass cannon and will often get outnumbered.
My advice is to make armies with level 1 units and start with 2 or 3 fangs, 2 crossbow, 1 lone wolf and/or 1 rune guardian.

The tip of the day is to use the rune gardian first level spell (buff damages / debuff toughness) on a crossbow with full offense stance : 2 hard hitting bolts.
ça manque quand même de compo chêne rouge : Syriak 2nd incarnation (invocation d'animae) + prédateurs sanglants + sentinelle wolfen + guerriers 32

GardenOfSun

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the tips lads.
I've just managed to get a GG - thanks to the patch money! - and once I level 400 I'll be trying something with him.

banescuf

PostMon May 12, 2014 9:47 pm

why doesn\t anybody say anything about the predator??
PreviousNext

Return to Strategy Forum