It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Bring back mode preferences

• Author

DeathsAdvocate

Bring back mode preferences

PostFri May 02, 2014 4:38 am

From the online chat its clear that the community really hates this change. I am posting this in hopes to bring the devs attention to the issue, and give others a place to voice their opinions, please people if we get enough people posting and showing that we don't like the change the devs should change it in a way where people are not forced into playing modes they don't like.

Removing mode preferences was a really bad thing to do. Its never nice to force people into modes they don't want to play, besides deathmatch is the only balanced mode, and no one goes online looking to play a game of king of the hill, or vip, people look for tactical war games so they can destroy opposing armies and show who is the superior tactician. Its really discouraging to new players, and overall will send players away from the game and mess with the meta. Alternative modes are great, but they should be exactly that, alternative modes.

Edit: Abusing the other two non dm modes just proves the point further, really I don't think they should be anything more then a casual game mode with deathmatch being the only ranked mode, but if that cant happen perhaps give them there own ladders, I know that does split the small player base which is a problem, but loosing players to being forced to play unfun modes is much worse.
Last edited by DeathsAdvocate on Sat May 03, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hod

Re: Bring back mode preferences

PostFri May 02, 2014 6:37 am

I agree.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostFri May 02, 2014 10:40 am

At current meta

* Scenarios are quite fine - but after fixing DM running they are slightly less usefull.
* Option to abuse game by choosing only one (non DM) game type was really bad.

To both fix the abuse and not making scenarios marginal i see two ways

- Current one - its better than before.
- Making "extended play" (or something like that) button that allows othe non DM scenarios. So at the start anyone plays DM and can't turn it off. But after switching on "extended" button player agree to all other current and further scenario types.

Also im not sure if currently showing the scenario type is good for diversity of companies - switching units from game type to game type is annoying if you do it again and again ;) Its better to have universal band that can deal with all 3 scenarios.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

skydancer

PostFri May 02, 2014 11:43 am

I would remove mode selection in 400 ap ranked match and allow it in other kind of match.
If you play ranked you can't try to exploit some army|match combo.

Stop QQ and learn to play all matchup! ;)
~ work in progress ~

Hod

PostFri May 02, 2014 11:54 am

skydancer wrote:
Stop QQ and learn to play all matchup! ;)

I don't think it's a matter of learning to play all matchups. It's a matter of wanting to play the game how you want to. I don't want to play KoH or VIP, I just don't enjoy them, I want to kill all enemy units, that's just how I enjoy playing the game. Making someone play it a way they don't enjoy is not going to increase retention.

Maybe for ranked 400AP games, they could do this. But let people who just want to play and have fun, play and have fun the way they want.

It seems like the only people who are for this new change are the very serious players who have been playing for a long time. If the devs had been concerned with keeping old players, this would have been a good change, but since they have voiced concern about keeping new players, I think this was a bad choice. I have yet to hear anyone but seasoned veterans (which I don't even consider myself) say they like this change.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

SoulCollector

PostFri May 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Hod wrote:
I don't think it's a matter of learning to play all matchups. It's a matter of wanting to play the game how you want to. I don't want to play KoH or VIP, I just don't enjoy them, I want to kill all enemy units, that's just how I enjoy playing the game. Making someone play it a way they don't enjoy is not going to increase retention.

Agree, I don't like KoH or Vip and forcing me to play them will just force me to go look for what I want somewhere else. :(

Sernior

PostFri May 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Hod wrote:I don't think it's a matter of learning to play all matchups. It's a matter of wanting to play the game how you want to.

Exactly... lol, right now the match maker thinks it knows better than me what I want to play.

MhBlis

PostSun May 04, 2014 12:50 am

I personally can see where the Dev's are going with this but I believe they have approached it wrong. There are still systems that need to be implemented that would complement the changes they have made.

The abuse needed to be fixed and variety is great. They have attempted to introduce an element of strategy into the game which is great and I'm all for it.

What I propose is actually leave the 3 brackets as they were and create a ladder for each. Now allow mode select for these ladders. These ladders don't give rewards or give very few. This now gives us 6 ladders instead of 1. People love stats.

Now create a second Ranked Ladder. This ladder varies from week to week 250, 400, 800, randomly. Also it does not allow mode select and does not allow army change before a match only between games ie before you hit search for game not during the map load.. Now you bring strategy to list building as well. This is the ladder that gives out rewards as it offers serious challenges all round.

With this new system you are catering to everyone. As it stands I dislike it, deciding how I should play the game when I just want a quick brawl. Also the ladder scoring system is far too open for abuse.

DeathsAdvocate

PostSun May 04, 2014 5:43 am

What you suggested seems to limit build options, and make it even more random who gets the upper hand in competitive play. Ranked play should have the absolute minimum amount of randomness to it, so that its an even playing ground and who is the superior player/builder wins.

And more ladders splits the playerbase which was the whole point of the patch, still better then forces modes but eh.

But we do certainly agree that being forced into playing stuff is as bad as it gets.

Im still hoping that deathmatch becomes the only ranked mode, and the other two are just casual things, its much easier for the devs to balance the meta with only one map anyways, it seems virtually impossible to balance the meta between three different maps. Take leauge of legends for example, they put there focus on the 5v5 map and design there game around it. They do offer 3v3 (My favorite), and dominion as well, those maps don't effect the 5v5 meta, and receive there own individual balances separate from it.

But however you do it whether its deathmatch for competitive, separate ladders for each, or at least allowing unranked ques with mode selection will be fine, but the communities overwhelming roar is that we want to be able to play what we want.

ScramblesTDD

PostSun May 04, 2014 5:55 am

I've only been playing a short time, but I enjoy(ed) the game, and I've been looking forward to more content, but I refuse to play a game that forces me to play 2 game modes I don't enjoy. "Learn to play other game modes" is bull. That's like an RTS player having a 1 in 3 chance of getting starcraft, command and conquer or warcraft every time they boot up starcraft, when all they want to do is play some friggin starcraft. Let me play the game that I want to play, please. Not the game you want me to play. Thank you.
Next

Return to Suggestions