It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Less random more tactics. Some skill chance suggestion

• Author

skydancer

Less random more tactics. Some skill chance suggestion

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 3:19 pm

I would like to have more solid and tactics based skill that rely less on dice and random. While i've no problem in a game where you have some random i think that some skill will work better in yoru tactics decision if you have solid effect and less random involved. Here there's some suggestion about some skill change. Any suggestion could be modified or improved of course and nothing is set in stone in my sentence. It's all up to a discussion.

Ring of Ice and Ring of Mist : This two spell could be very usefull but it's a coin toss situation. If you fail they worth nothing if they trigger they're uber and can change the match.
a) I would like instead of a 50% chance of trigger that they just halve (or reduce in some way 33% maybe?) the damage taken from ranged or spell.
b) absorb the first ranged or magic spell damage then expire. the spell could still last 2 turn before automatic expire.

Assassin : In the original confrontation game, assassin was a charge related skill. there's many way it could be modified here.
a) Automatic crit on charge. (this would combine pretty well with dive bomb skill of gargoyle)
b) Gain +crit chance = to the hit chance bonus for being surrounded. (this would add more crit % for every unit that surround the target)
c) Ignore any malus to attack (not on defence) due to being surrounded. This coule be seen as the ability of an assassin to hit alone in the middle of the battle and would add a lot of tactics problem for defensive situation while add power to assault unit that could hit where they want.

Survival istinct
a) Immunity to crit.
b) Ignore first kill blow. The unit ignore the first damage that would otherwise kill him. One use per game.
c) Ignore defensive penalty or negate attacker bonus for attack for being surrounded. (not his own malus on attack for being surrounded). Something specular as assassin.

Obviusly evere kind of modification would have different AP cost.

What do you think?
~ work in progress ~

Deep Blue

Re: Less random more tactics. Some skill chance suggestion

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 4:06 pm

I had the same topic 1 or 2 months ago and i agree with your concerns. What i noticed is that some players are fine with the 50% probability...personally i am not but to each its own. Back on topic:

Ring of Ice and Ring of Mist : This two spell could be very usefull but it's a coin toss situation. If you fail they worth nothing if they trigger they're uber and can change the match.
a) I would like instead of a 50% chance of trigger that they just halve (or reduce in some way 33% maybe?) the damage taken from ranged or spell.
b) absorb the first ranged or magic spell damage then expire. the spell could still last 2 turn before automatic expire.

I'd choose A with the possibility of having the shield disappear if the caster is killed. Same for insensitive.

Assassin : In the original confrontation game, assassin was a charge related skill. there's many way it could be modified here.
a) Automatic crit on charge. (this would combine pretty well with dive bomb skill of gargoyle)
b) Gain +crit chance = to the hit chance bonus for being surrounded. (this would add more crit % for every unit that surround the target)
c) Ignore any malus to attack (not on defence) due to being surrounded. This coule be seen as the ability of an assassin to hit alone in the middle of the battle and would add a lot of tactics problem for defensive situation while add power to assault unit that could hit where they want.

i'd go for A again also C is nice. In the past i also suggested of having a 100% crit rate when your hit chance was above 100%.

Survival istinct
a) Immunity to crit.
b) Ignore first kill blow. The unit ignore the first damage that would otherwise kill him. One use per game.
c) Ignore defensive penalty or negate attacker bonus for attack for being surrounded. (not his own malus on attack for being surrounded). Something specular as assassin.

I'd go for C but B can be attractive as well (it is similar to the chimera's buff so i think it can be easily implemented).
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Strangely enough, we came to the same conclusions about Assassin and Survival attribute and we made some changes to them, which I can't comment right now, but in a way these changes are very close to some of the changes that you wrote (and to what Deep Blue suggested in his previous thread).

They won't hit live servers for a while, though. But they are coming anyway :)

About the Ring of Ice and the Ring of Mist... the jury is still out about that.
I still think that it acts as an extremely demotivating debuff for the related attack to this specific target (one of the few mechanics that acts in a almost exactly similar way than the tabletop spells they were inspired by), but there are indeed some (rare) cases where you just have no choice - and then it gets back to the "survival instinct" situation again.

On an unrelated note : we don't mind the RNG of some factors. In fact, we think they are really important for the game, and I'm pretty sure I already stated why somewhere on these forums.
So it may be possible that the particular RNG linked to some of these attributes will be removed, but expect it to come back in one form or another (hopefully a more satisfying one for you, but maybe not - because we don't want our game to be 100% deterministic anyway).
Dogs of War Online - Game Designer

Deep Blue

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm

very good news indeed. I rather see modified first survival and assassin than ring of ice/mist. I just hope that in the future you won't do any other 10-15% chance skills/talents :)
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm

great news
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Return to Suggestions