It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Are you guys meeting your financial goals?

• Author

Deuzerre

Re: Are you guys meeting your financial goals?

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 6:11 pm

To answer the devs about "people staying". I left the game for over a month, and just played 3 matches right now that were OK.

But what made me leave was the utter frustration provided by the game. Let me explain:

- The stats are/were wrong. They seem to still be wrong. Unless you know the game by heart, and make some rough additional calculations, there will always be impossible to predict results. As an example, I played a VIP game, where my Lion attacked the VIP, almost killing it, then I had a spark that was in melee but wouldn't have been able to finish the VIP off. Then the enemy spawned a skeleton, which triggered the + strength when resist fear which game me enough damage to kill the VIP, yet it still wasn't shown on the health bar. I made a gamble, it paid off. But it shouldn't happen. Same for chance to hit, etc... It can be extremely frustrating to think you could kill something, but actually had way chances of actually killing than displayed.

In short: Player feedback is bad. You go without knowing for sure.

- What made me leave was two different battles, where I had 95% chance to hit on the last guy and... it failed, causing a riposte. Often, you get RNG that spits in your face despite your best efforts. While it can be OK in a tabletop game with lots of figures, the least units on the battlefield, the more frustrating it is when you miss that critical attack that should have connected because you did everything right, encircling the opponent, etc...

Maybe "smart" play should be rewarded more, with exponential bonuses the more you encircle an opponent, (+5% with 2 guys, +20 with 3, +50 with 4, etc...) to reduce RNG... The game provides this frustrating aspect of "when you take a chance, it works, but if you consider 1% chance of ricochet to be negligible you'll be bitten in the arse and kill your own legendary".

Basically, my biggest gripe with the game is how tactics count, but in the end they won't win you the game.

- Then of course there is the grind. That's a human problem: Most newbies don't understand that higher level =/= always better. They think it's sort of a pay to win. While it's true a high level mage is often better than a low level one, it also costs more... That isn't really explained. And when they meet their first legendary, they are pants down, butt cheeks pressed as hard as they can, but still get it hard and generally quit because that's pretty unbeatable for newbies. Many left due to Beta release having legendaries in the lowest tiers.

One of the things that could be done to promote the game would be to have "friend" battles be "unlimited". The idea is that they could build the company they want without restrictions to test things out in friendly battles, like on a table top where friends give your their models for a bit. Maybe you could pay a fee in Silver to play those battles so people wouldn't only play those instead of real battles.

I kinda like the game, its aesthetics and how it's been made, the gameplay is great too... But the grind is what makes a couple of my friends frown upon it.

Deep Blue

PostThu May 01, 2014 7:59 am

surrounding bonus shouldn't be improved...think about poor PoB which costs so much and can get hit by 2 (basic) units quite reliably. The also super expensive GG which has a whopping 60% chance to hit a swordsman when surrounded by TWO.

improve this bonus and those units will be garbage.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu May 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Deep Blue wrote:surrounding bonus shouldn't be improved...think about poor PoB which costs so much and can get hit by 2 (basic) units quite reliably. The also super expensive GG which has a whopping 60% chance to hit a swordsman when surrounded by TWO.

improve this bonus and those units will be garbage.

Your example is based on overnerfed unit (GG) but i can still agree with your point.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deuzerre

PostThu May 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Anything to undo RNG/promote smart play.

Properly surrounding a unit should make sure hits. you'll notice the "small" surrounding, in my suggestion, had minimal impact.

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu May 01, 2014 7:11 pm

when i played RAM half-swarm and had mostly 3Vs 1 situation - current bonus was enough to have 100% hit against swordsmans while dhey missed my skellys regulary ;P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Astralwyrm

PostFri May 02, 2014 8:30 am

If the devs increase the encirclement bonus there will have to be a number of changes to the way units work right now. Undead already excell at encirclement as is and giving this would be about as close to a direct buff you could get. Morbid puppet would be an absolute nightmare to approach and not to mention that this would beat with a stick the underdogs of the game(Wolfen).

Sernior

PostFri May 02, 2014 9:09 pm

In my opinion the problem is that a lot of kids prefer quitting the game more than admitting there could be someone better than themselves.
By instance, in league of legends when you sucks with 0/15/0 score and you are an immature noob what do you do?
You thinks: "what I could have done better?"? NOOOOO000OOO!!
You blame the jungler!!!! But of course!!!! Obvious!!!
And this is what this game needs the "Other guy to blame".
The guy who is so noob that even if you are so incredibly good you lost because of him...
you the number one guy, the lord of DoW.
Me and my flatm8 calls the previous the "sukysuky theory" and in our opinion it is one of the main reasons why LoL had its success and it defines a requirement this game is still not meeting.
When this game will have 2vs2 or 3vs3 you will start growing more seriously I could bet on it.

Also the game has still few features... I was reading the original dogs of war acheron army units and there are tons you guys could implement, tons of units for the other factions... tons of new factions... the original game is very rich, you guys have to release more stuff. I dont want to be harsh but I have been testing this game for 2 moths now and since i am here i haven't seen any new unit release just fixes map changes etc.
When I was betatesting smite there was a new champ every 2 weeks... you guys are sitting on a gold mine but you are actually mining it very slowly. At the current rate it would require years before the game has enought features to be really actractive and competitive.

I would love a Dev answer on these particular questions : " are you guys trying to prepare a solid base for the game before starting releasing new features ? , why this two moths gap of nothing new ? " .

Legulysse

Site Admin

PostMon May 05, 2014 9:53 am

Deuzerre wrote:In short: Player feedback is bad. You go without knowing for sure.

With the latest patch, hit chances and damage estimations should be much more accurate for basic attacks (both melee and range). If you find unhandled cases, please feel free to report them.
Sernior wrote:I would love a Dev answer on these particular questions : " are you guys trying to prepare a solid base for the game before starting releasing new features ? , why this two moths gap of nothing new ? ".

Yes, that's the case. We are preparing something but it takes time ;)
Dogs of War Online - Developper

Deuzerre

PostTue May 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Legulysse wrote:
Deuzerre wrote:In short: Player feedback is bad. You go without knowing for sure.

With the latest patch, hit chances and damage estimations should be much more accurate for basic attacks (both melee and range). If you find unhandled cases, please feel free to report them.

Chance of fear, rerolls (like the new Parry skill), also the fact that "Fear" and "stun" aren't taken into account when you make the charge;

This is the global lack of feedback.

Legulysse

Site Admin

PostTue May 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Deuzerre wrote:Chance of fear, rerolls (like the new Parry skill), also the fact that "Fear" and "stun" aren't taken into account when you make the charge

Yes, I couldn't handle the estimations following a movement yet.
Concerning rerolls, that's something I can consider, but adding too many infos would make the tooltip pretty big, so it needs more thoughts. Anyway all those feedbacks will take time :(
Thanks for the report, it helps for priorities.
Dogs of War Online - Developper
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions