It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am

0.12.11 Balance suggestions by DW

• Author

Dragon_Warrior

Re: 0.12.11 Balance suggestions by DW

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Deep Blue wrote:just had a match vs Skydancer's ram company which won last week and i've won. When he conceded the deathmatch "counter" was 50 on my favor vs 23 on his.

I still had at the end of the match:

2x archers
1x valk
1x lion
1x sparkling

Probably my list is a good counter to his...but...well i will let him comment it in case. Archers won me the game as gargoyle and paladin weren't a problem at all.

second game was my list vs his lion list. I lost but i played quite bad handing him one of my lions at the beginning (brain fart :( ) . It doesnt really prove any point as it is lion vs lion so everything is equal.

you have second account? :P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

SoulCollector

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Deep Blue wrote:
SoulCollector wrote:I'm gonna play Wolfs too this week, so far 2 companies tested, 4 matchs - 4 Wins for me of course this is 250 AP but none of the opponents were new players.

i imagine it is fun but 250 AP is not a valid bracket for testing as the ranked matches are what really matter for balancing purposes. Wolven always rocked the 250 ap bracket simply because your opponent has less units and cannot rely so much on having many ranged units. Also, certain powerful combinations are totally left out from the 250 AP bracket (ie: mage comps, high level black paladins etc...).

Well even though I agree 250 AP bracket is not exactly valid for testing purposes, you can't really say it is not used for balancing purposes, in fact for me (and for what I have seen from the devs), 250 AP is as valid as 400 as is 800, what is maybe balanced on 400 maybe it is not on 800 or 250 and the 3 brackets are part of the same game and if you think people don't play high level Paladins or High level mages on 250 AP you are wrong I fought a level 4 Paladin last night and I have a level 5 mage Human company on my rotation.

Wolfs are not so strong on 250 anymore, they can't have more than 4 units on their company.

Thing is... on 250 AP I get to talk to new players and give them pointers to more easily enjoy the game instead of ended up frustrated after fighting an old player. Fights are fun and fast and you can't make a single mistake, the game is not so forgiving at 250 as it is on 400 or 800.

You should try it some time. :D

Dragon_Warrior

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Fights are fun and fast and you can't make a single mistake, the game is not so forgiving at 250 as it is on 400 or 800.

but it is twice more luck based :P
both by company composition and rolls.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

SoulCollector

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
Fights are fun and fast and you can't make a single mistake, the game is not so forgiving at 250 as it is on 400 or 800.

It is true but after a while of playing the luck is just something that can be controled with the right setups on this bracket but to be honest 400 is pretty much the same at some point in the match, I have play enough of it to know that if you are decent enough, the opponent won't stomp you and at the end both will be left with similar setups as a 250 match or less also depending greatly on luck at that point.

Deep Blue

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:

this. Other than that...what about the second account? The matches were played as a friendly match in case you are wondering and no i do not have a second account.

250 ap bracket is important simply because it introduces the new players into the game. Legendaries are banned there because of that. Truth to be told, 250 AP bracket caused some ruckus at the beginning with the PoB with the majority of players claiming it was OP, while it was perfectly easy to deal with at 400 AP.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 pm

he matches were played as a friendly match

oh - ok :P
I check Top from time to time - checking how common is "not counting a loost game" situation (i won twice with player that have only one game lost for example - but in both he wrote gg before exiting) - and i didn't find any of your bands ;)

SoulCollector

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Deep Blue wrote:250 ap bracket is important simply because it introduces the new players into the game. Legendaries are banned there because of that. Truth to be told, 250 AP bracket caused some ruckus at the beginning with the PoB with the majority of players claiming it was OP, while it was perfectly easy to deal with at 400 AP.

Yes and look what happened to him, and to the rest of the Elites for that matter, if 250 is the bracket to introduce player to the game then I guess 400 is the middle way and 800 is for pros?, some people just don't understand we all don't like the same things, big part of why a lot of people play 400 is just the free Cyans. Before the ranking was introduced almost everybody played 200 and this Forums were full of post asking the devs to make the 400 AP bracket more appealing so people will leave the 200 AP bracket. For me the 250 AP bracket is just another game bracket where people start the game, where people level up units and where some other people (like me) spend most part of their gaming hours. When your internet connection is not exactly optimal you want your games to last as little as possible or else you have higher chances of the connection dropping and losing the game.

Some people like 400 AP or 800 AP the most but you don't want to alienate part of your player base on a niche game or giving your attention to the balance of the game only for 1 bracket. The game needs balance on all parts of the game specially if you think the 250 AP is to introduce new players to the game, that's where you need the most balance or people will again fill the forums with "Unbalanced Game" posts like Steam Forums and not only leave but give the game a bad image so other people don't even give it a chance.

Lima

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:19 am

Astralwyrm wrote:So someone tell me i'm a noob but i just had a match against lions... with lions and i got completely wasted on turn 3. This guy was using a level 5 mage i'm guessing? He hid him behind the big rock in the middle left(forest level) the first action he got and i took no notice of him since there wasn't really much chance of pursuing him and i'm use to mages just being a bit of a nuisance rather than a major threat. So i pick away at his group during turn one with my 2 archers 2 valks, lion and 3 swordsman. By the end of turn 2 i still had decent amount of my units and at full health. Then using the last move of the turn the mage comes out and throws out 2 chastisements of light.... and then turn 3 comes and he gets first turn and throws out another 2 x.x complete wiping out everything on my side of the field. Is this ability too powerful or am i complete noob and should of known to go against lion tactics and spread out? ^^';;

I usually just accepted double chastisements of light when it was just chipping away at my units and then i didn't see it again for the rest of the match but 2 doublecasts back to back? even if my units weren't all within the aoe radius thats some serious damage. I can't think of any unit that can manage a feat like that. edit: And this is a guy with 19 wins and 1 defeat... so clearly his tactics are working... the company is called ... for reference.

You are not a noob you were just part of my experiment. After a weeks analysis and 20-1 match stats I have come up with the following conclusion, Chastiment is OP. Mana cost should be 5 to prevent the above posters scenario. Its good otherwise and simply requires the opposing player to not group up units.

SoulCollector

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 am

Lima wrote:You are not a noob you were just part of my experiment. After a weeks analysis and 20-1 match stats I have come up with the following conclusion, Chastiment is OP. Mana cost should be 5 to prevent the above posters scenario. Its good otherwise and simply requires the opposing player to not group up units.

Actually Chastiment is pretty damn good, what I don't understand about that spell is why it doesnt hurt own units but Seal of Dellar does. Maybe making it to hurt own units will make people think very hard about using it in some situations?

Lima

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 am

SoulCollector wrote:
Deep Blue wrote:Valkyrie is still very good but i saw it much much less often. Even after the nerf it is still very good. Also...to all the lion players which love to use mages...do you realize favorable auspices gives you +40% casting chance? For god's sake it should be an auto include into any mage-based comp as you can take recovery and have 100%+ cast chance...more mana + nearly impossible to fail spells = super damage.

all spells mage casts have a 100%+ chance of hitting except chastiment which has 90%, with full health and NO mastery of the arcana. even with medium dmg say 28/40 most spells retain 100% chance of success or very close to it. To guarantee hits when your mage is engaged/feared/seriously inj you have 2x divine favor to guarantee hit. Why whould I waste another +60ap to get another meatshield with one more divine favor?
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions