It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Do you like to know who are you going to face?

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

skydancer

Do you like to know who are you going to face?

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Actually i'm not sure if i like to know in the prematch sequence the player and the army i'm going to face. I think that this would made specific composition a bit stronger vs certain army such like Scourge of the impure, scourge living, scourge undead but not only those skills, many other skill are specific army counter like Occult erosion vs lion and undead etc...

I think that for a correct ranking game ppl doesn't had to know the opponent you're going to meet, that will bring ppl to made the best all around army list composition.

Add to this that some "famous player" use some specific build and the prematch army composition become a bit too much important imo.

What do you think? It's better like it is or add a bit of uncertain to every match?

P.s.: this also could be more problematic when new army will be added to the game. Some army list composition of some race could shut down completely an enemy race (while performing bad vs others) and balance the game could become very hard.
~ work in progress ~

Almanro

Re: Do you like to know who are you going to face?

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 pm

I personally like the fact that you know the enemy you are going to face, because it is not that only you know it, but also the enemy knows! So if the enemy is strong, as I can use a "counter" setup for his company, he also can think about how to best counter my company. This allows that the matches are a bit more balanced (e.g. both armies don't use units with completely useless abilities) and also that you can't use always the exact same company independently of the enemy you're going to face if you want to win, adding more variations and a welcomed strategical thinking also in the pre-match.

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Actually i'm not sure if i like to know in the prematch sequence the player and the army i'm going to face. I think that this would made specific composition a bit stronger vs certain army such like Scourge of the impure, scourge living, scourge undead but not only those skills, many other skill are specific army counter like Occult erosion vs lion and undead etc...

Well its makes some problem but resolves the other

Good point is that some units-trees are resonable only as a counters for specified factions... and for the time no faction counter is to hard imo. (Scourge of the Impure is mostly less usefull than seal/chatisment even if used correctly for example)

Additionaly there are some players that i already consider annoying/runners and its nice to knew if enemy will run before match starts ;)

On the other hand the problem is that Bane Living costs more than Bane Undeads - but at the time both are choosed against 100% right faction (fact that Crane is best elite balances it at the moment but when elites will be fixed this skill will be simple weaker than opposite).

Other not good aspect is paper-rock game... if i played with my next enemy before i can gues what he will take and he can try try same - so its nothing more than more complicated Paper-Rock-Scisors version when you may wait 30 minutes for the resolving your win/loose ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:48 pm

if i've to think in Cyanide's shoes, this is good and won't be changed. Why? because people will then be "pushed" to have more than one setup which potentially can mean more revenue for them.

If i think about it the only race-specific talents are the following (just what i recall, forgive me if i missed something):

Wolven:
scourge: living dead --> GG

Lion:
Scourge of the impure --> Mage
Scourge: living dead --> KOTL

Ram
Scourge: living -> SW / Paladin

I guess these talents have no reason to exist if you can't predict your opponent because often you would be better off with another talent (unless you are short on AP). So yeah once more: i doubt they will remove that or these talents will be much less useful.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Grim.Nightshade

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 1:11 am

Deep Blue, you didn't even touch on the Legendary's abilities.

Deep Blue

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 am

Grim.Nightshade wrote:Deep Blue, you didn't even touch on the Legendary's abilities.

only the golem and the chimera have these abilities but you are limited to have 1 per army meanining you cant really sideboard with them. Also...only the chimera one looks interesting for its cost.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Return to General Forum