It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am

100%????? Watch me scatter and miss

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

MhBlis

100%????? Watch me scatter and miss

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 am

So I've noticed this a lot lately but finally it just has to be asked. If the guide says there is a 100% chance to hit something and doesn't even list a % on a friendly how do I manage to scatter or just plain shoot my own units? I know there should always be a chance to miss but I get at least two of these a game.

Particularly noticeable with
Double Shot under Divine Guidance
double shot under Favourable Auspices
Double shot
Aim
Offensive stance.

A follow up. Tonight a Chimera under divine guidance vs seriously wounded swordsmen 100% to hit managed to wiff 2 attacks.

Anyone shine some light on what is going on here.

Almanro

Re: 100%????? Watch me scatter and miss

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 11:50 am

Regarding Double Shot, when you use it, you get a -8 penalty on your AIM value that is not reported in the percentage written above the enemy unit, so you can miss pretty easily if you use it and your archer is more than 2 exagons from the enemy.
Regarding the other cases, probably in the 100% value are not reported some others bonus/penalties that are ability linked, e.g. the Swordman Parry ability that gives him a +3 PAR before he has been activated I'm not sure if it is reported correctly in the percentage above him.

Dragon_Warrior

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 1:20 pm

in case of Vs Chimera - there can be Hyperian +1PAR or even Fear penalty after failer Will roll
For the swordsman there is Parry modifier mentioned above
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Almanro wrote:Regarding Double Shot, when you use it, you get a -8 penalty on your AIM value that is not reported in the percentage written above the enemy unit, so you can miss pretty easily if you use it and your archer is more than 2 exagons from the enemy.
Regarding the other cases, probably in the 100% value are not reported some others bonus/penalties that are ability linked, e.g. the Swordman Parry ability that gives him a +3 PAR before he has been activated I'm not sure if it is reported correctly in the percentage above him.

this. Also skills like vivacity (+2 dod vs ranged) is not considered. So yeah a 100% shot might be misleading often if you consider all the skills / talents you are using.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

MhBlis

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Ok thank you. That makes it a little clearer. But then the -8 Penalty would be would be canceled by Divine Guidance. With what everyone has said and the consistency I'm seeing misses means I need to take a bit more time in testing it before I call bug though. Just thought I would mention it in case someone else is seeing it.

The totals may need to be more clearly explain somewhere then since it is something that is off putting to new players. The whole if I can't depend on the % why have them. Taking the Chimera with Divine Guidance hitting an already activated seriously wounded swordsmen should not miss on 100%

Deep Blue

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 9:43 pm

MhBlis wrote:Ok thank you. That makes it a little clearer. But then the -8 Penalty would be would be canceled by Divine Guidance. With what everyone has said and the consistency I'm seeing misses means I need to take a bit more time in testing it before I call bug though. Just thought I would mention it in case someone else is seeing it.

The totals may need to be more clearly explain somewhere then since it is something that is off putting to new players. The whole if I can't depend on the % why have them. Taking the Chimera with Divine Guidance hitting an already activated seriously wounded swordsmen should not miss on 100%

it is an old issue that for now can't be changed so you have to live with it. It would be nice a tooltip explaining this issue (you are not the first one to point it out).
As a rule of thumb, always check the dice rolls if they are successful or not. If they are and you miss there are only few effect that make it happen (as far as i know):

-ring of ice/mist
-survival instinct
-mortal insolence

i also noticed a tendency to scatter when you use double shot. I do not know if it is intended or not.

Useful links:

MhBlis

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 am

I have no problem with misses, I mean it's a dice game there is always going to be a chance to miss. What is a bit odd though is the way you can hit your own units even when it never notes there is a chance to hit them. I've managed ot hit my own units surrounding an enemy even when it doesn't even bring up a chance to hit them. That's fine your surrounding an enemy. What is odd is when you hit a unit that isn't even between you and the enemy somewhere along the track.

Example
XS
S

M
A

X = Enemy
S = Swordsmen
M = Mage
A = Archer

I regularly hit M when only S and X have % on them.

Legulysse

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 am

Deep Blue wrote:it is an old issue that for now can't be changed so you have to live with it.

In fact I started to work on this 8-)
A first iteration should come with the next patch, so you can expect better estimations (only on normal melee hits though).
Deep Blue wrote:I also noticed a tendency to scatter when you use double shot. I do not know if it is intended or not.

It doesn't surprise me, since the "scatter" margin uses the "miss" margin (depending on the number of units of course, but the full scatter potential needs a good miss margin).
MhBlis wrote:I regularly hit M when only S and X have % on them.

The scatter effect can apply on units in contact with the target + units on the path of the arrow. All concerned units should have a % displayed over their heads, if it's not the case I will fix that.
Dogs of War Online - Developper

Deep Blue

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

Legulysse wrote:
Deep Blue wrote:it is an old issue that for now can't be changed so you have to live with it.

In fact I started to work on this 8-)
A first iteration should come with the next patch, so you can expect better estimations (only on normal melee hits though).
Deep Blue wrote:I also noticed a tendency to scatter when you use double shot. I do not know if it is intended or not.

It doesn't surprise me, since the "scatter" margin uses the "miss" margin (depending on the number of units of course, but the full scatter potential needs a good miss margin).
MhBlis wrote:I regularly hit M when only S and X have % on them.

The scatter effect can apply on units in contact with the target + units on the path of the arrow. All concerned units should have a % displayed over their heads, if it's not the case I will fix that.

great news. Since we are on the topic...is scatter influenced by DOD? i'm referring to the non-target units. For example in the example above would the mage have a higher chance to be hit (low DOD)?

Useful links:

Legulysse

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:58 am

Deep Blue wrote:Is scatter influenced by DOD? i'm referring to the non-target units. For example in the example above would the mage have a higher chance to be hit (low DOD)?

Yes, It's what makes the difference in % for the scatter between the possible targets. They all add the same value to the global scatter range, but this total is then weighted between the units depending on their DOD and if they are Gigantic.
Dogs of War Online - Developper
Next

Return to General Forum