It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

How are wolven doing?

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Errol Flynn

Re: How are wolven doing?

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 12:50 am

Deep Blue wrote:@Errol: i would say as well that the first build is better. I do not like too much that 2 rune guardians = 1 ylia's wrath buff active as it always feels one is a bit wasted but i agree that they are a very nice unit.

EDIT: how you actually can have the first company? it is over 400 AP, even by removing 2x ruthless. I was curious to test it because it looked good on paper but it is unfeasible unless you remove harassment , but then the crossbowman is meh

Sorry Deep Blue, you are right Comp 1 is 400 AP w/ a level 2 crossbow. 1 Yila's Wrath is great on the Crossbow. The 2 GotR and the X-bow provide 2 faith if they are close enough. I found the ability to concentrate your spells on tough targets while using melee to deal with weaker units made for a pretty effective comp.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

Deep Blue

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 10:39 am

you know wolven are doing bad when...1 GG that costs 120+ AP has troubles to hit 2 swordsmen (60+ AP in total) surrounding him.

also...wolven are always hard countered by fear. I would love to have a fear immunity talent, especially for fangs which gets rolled by any paladin/SW/gargoyle ... or increase a little their ACC...i mean they will be always outnumbered and surrounded. The worst situation is when 50+ AP can't even strike a hit.
Last edited by Deep Blue on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am

Deep Blue wrote:you know wolven are doing bad when...1 GG that costs 120+ AP has troubles to hit 2 swordsmen (60+ AP in total) surrounding him.

at least you deal resonable Damage to them if you hit
in case of RAM before lev 3 its much worse :P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 10:51 am

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
Deep Blue wrote:you know wolven are doing bad when...1 GG that costs 120+ AP has troubles to hit 2 swordsmen (60+ AP in total) surrounding him.

at least you deal resonable Damage to them if you hit
in case of RAM before lev 3 its much worse :P

well yeah but i dislike when i need to be lucky to do what i want. Also...another reason might be related to certain maps. There is one acheron maps that screams: PLEASE TURTLE to any ranged team.

I'm referring to the map where the only way to attack one team is simply to attack frontally...through 2 choke points. Any melee based wolven company auto loses there. The turtling team is not only protected by the chocke points but also by 3 damn walls.

Useful links:

Deep Blue

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm

The week is almost over and it is time for a new round of statistics!

Once again i will pick the best 10 teams of each faction, remove the best and worst 2 win percentages and calculate the average value out of the remaining 6 values. The values were taken on 19.4.2014

Lion: 69%, 79%, 61%, 63%, 71%, 77%, 83%, 60%, 93%, 65% = 71% average excluding best and worst 2

Ram: 82%, 69%, 71%, 76%, 60%, 68%, 67%, 75%, 61%, 100% = 71%

Wolf: 68%, 49%, 61%, 56%, 90%, 67%, 81%, 83%, 100%, 63% = 71%

WOW perfect balance! (some roundings were done)

NOPE. Wolven win percentages , especially the last 4-5 have very few games compared to the other and therefore this shouldn't be taken as "the perfect balance". I guess a weighted average would be better taking into consideration also the rank.

If we look at the top 10 :

Lion: 5 teams
Ram: 2 teams
Wolf: 3 teams (with an average win ratio of 59%...)

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Im really curious about P122 team
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 3:03 pm

sometimes i've the feeling that wolven are having a hard time because of two reasons:

-fear which makes base units very very less performing (and since they cost almost twice as the other basic units, yes this is an issue)
-lion archers...which i realized can deal more damage than a mage (11x2 damage vs fang with double shot or 9x2 vs rune guardian which has TOU 13 ugh ). It can even happen a nice 11x3 with an offensive + double shot. This is why GG and PoB shouldn't be used too much as they are too easily countered by them. I think the issue is more on the lion's side than on the wolven's elites.

other than that, after several pitiful tries, i managed to have a decent wolven setup although i need more games to really test its effectiveness. For the records it is a bit similar to Errol Flynn's build and yes it uses 6 wolven or else those lion archers can focus on few targets and you need to keep em busy.

Useful links:

Astralwyrm

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Been having some trouble with vip lately when going up against 3 swordsman 1 mage 2 archers 1 valkyrie setups, using deep blues suggestion for my team =P I've resigned myself that going on the offensive with them turtling isn't going to work in the diamond shaped map. They will just move the notable away from where ever i have my wolfen move towards and use the swordsmen to completely block my advance while they pew pew my units down. At the moment i would have to rely on them making mistakes or freak luck because my wolfen are just not capable of applying the amount of pressure needed to break through their lines and ko the notable. Maybe if i was using my level 4 POB he could... but then he's a big target for their archers to shoot at. Also i'm increasingly finding enemy lions surviving on 1 health and it's seriously hampering my ability to stick it to my opponent =(

edit: going to try swapping out my POB for a level 2 guardian of the runes with hymn of destiny and a level 2 crossbowman with instinctive firing.
Last edited by Astralwyrm on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deep Blue

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Astralwyrm wrote: I've resigned myself that going on the offensive with them turtling isn't going to work in the diamond shaped map.

that map screws you so much... and im my opinion it should be removed because it favors too much turtling. Wolven are even more at disadvantage there...and yes lion archers can obliterate high AP wolven unit relatively fast.

Useful links:

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 am

Astralwyrm wrote:Also i'm increasingly finding enemy lions surviving on 1 health and it's seriously hampering my ability to stick it to my opponent =(

It may be related to them having the "Fierce" ability that allows them to outlive a situation where they should have died and allowed you a pursuit movement.

...so, it looks like the "For the Light!" skill isn't totally useless, after all.

About the diamond shaped map, or the map that you are talking about Deep Blue, could someone please post a screen of the deployment phase of that particular map ?
There are several candidates that could fit this description and we need to check it ourselves as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance.
Dogs of War Online - Game Designer
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum