It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

How are wolven doing?

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Dragon_Warrior

Re: How are wolven doing?

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 am

About maps to be thrown away - please fix Behemoth one with starting positions at the middle line.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Jigoku wrote:About the diamond shaped map, or the map that you are talking about Deep Blue, could someone please post a screen of the deployment phase of that particular map ?
There are several candidates that could fit this description and we need to check it ourselves as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance.

for the light is a cool skill and not useless at all :)

other than that, i do not have any screenshot but that map allows both teams to deploy and be protected by 3 walls (back and sides). Due to the map walls, compared to the old "all map" acheron you are left out with only 1 attack choice (frontal) through 2 chocke points that can be easily blocked 2 units. This is extremely annoying as a wolven as you are forced to be super predictable. The other lion or ram team will block those points and you are forced to stay and wait while the ranged/casters destroy your forces. Sometimes you can break through the morbid puppets/ skeleton warrior /swordsmen but by then the archers/ranged can still win. Mind you, occasionally you can win as a wolven there but i always supect i either had luck or my opponent didn't play well. I highly encourage the devs to try that map with any wolven comp vs 4 ranged (acc + double shot) + 5 swordsmen or any double necro team to see the amount of pain wolven will feel.

i done an amazing paint job on the training map just to explain better. Red lines are the "walls" and the circles the choke points.

i think there is also a second version of acheron where you can attack them from behind but you can only go through with 1 unit - which needs badly mobile/flight or else it has to go through 3-4 hexagons of difficult terrain. All in all, that map screams: turtle please.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Astralwyrm

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 pm

I wish that were the case then they would have wasted some ap but no literally 1 health left; or are you saying fierce has another effect besides the Dying attribute =o?

I think that ever since i switched to ruthless fangs instead of ruthless mighty blow fangs and swapped out my level 4 POB for various other cheaper units. The chances of enemies surviving on one health after an attack round has increased for me and when i go to attack i can't tell the difference between an enemy surviving on 1 hp and an enemy dying. ^^';; That being said i've been able to put my crossbowman to work recently. He's still not as reliable as other archers in my opinion but he can atleast distract the enemy and soften a few targets before he dies. i'm running:

2 level 2 Fangs with Ruthless.
1 level 2 Wolfen Crossbowman with Instinctive Firing.
1 level 4 Wolfen Lonewolf with Ring of Ice, Regeneration and Mortification.
1 level 2 Wolfen Lonewolf with Ring of Mist.
1 level 2 Guardian of the Runes with Hymn of destiny.
398 AP

This is the army i've been using against all my foes right now and i'm not sure there are any other units worth swapping in against certain factions especially since i haven't seen a legendary for a good few days now. The hardest fight i've had i think was against 3 Black Paladins and a Skeleton Archer. The Black Paladins huddle together and are really hard to hit not to mention they give each other fierce. I think one of my mistakes was not having ring of mist up on my mages because occult erosion really hurts and i didn't realise quite how long range it was.

Edit: Wait... thats the diamond shaped map? thats not the map i was talking about ^^';; I've been talking about the Lanevar map where the deployment allows lions to deploy with the stones on either side of them. They use this map with impunity because they can fire from the starting position to opposing starting position on turn one while anyone elses units are unable to get a usable accuracy rating with all that cover in the way. It's also easy to defend because all they need is two or 3 units to block off whichever side the enemy moves towards. The only time theres trouble is if a group of ram like the one you have deploys as close as they can and pushes forward as fast as possible. Basically theres no way to remove the lion archers without butting heads with the main force, any gargoyle, hunter or lion crazy enough to attempt to get in from behind is either going to waste turns trying to stay behind full cover or get completely blitzed by the archers. Where as the same map turned on it's side is alot more fair. I'll try to get an image of the map i'm talking about...
Last edited by Astralwyrm on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deep Blue

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Astralwyrm wrote:
2 level 2 Fangs with Ruthless.
1 level 2 Wolfen Crossbowman with Instinctive Firing.
1 level 4 Wolfen Lonewolf with Ring of Ice, Regeneration and Mortification.
1 level 2 Wolfen Lonewolf with Ring of Mist.
1 level 2 Guardian of the Runes with Hymn of destiny.
398 AP

go like this instead:

2x fang lvl 1
1x lvl 2 crossbowman
2x lonewolf lvl 3 with ice/mist + regen
1x rune guardian with hymn

you dont need mortification as all your units aren't worth the extra HP sacrifice in my opinion but having 2 lonewolves with regen improves them a lot beccause if you do not cast anything for the first turn you will have enough mana to use the primal attack more often. Also... i ran this similar build:

2x Rune guardian with hymn
1x lonewolf ice ring+ regen
1x crossbowman lvl 3 harassment instinctive
2x fang ruthless

at the end of the day you pressure more as you can cast hymn everyturn if you position well and you have access to harassment, which is A LOT.

Please also notice one thing, as of now i can't think of a valid wolven comp if i've to consider : wolven hunter, PoB or GG. I'm testing now another PoB list that switches to GG vs ram. I guess i'll go bananas and go for a 2x PoB 1x Lonewolf list with a switch to 2 GG vs ram :D

Useful links:

Astralwyrm

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 12:55 pm

I need to practice with the Herassment Crossbowman, i tend to underutilise the potential of Herassment i think i miss alot of opportunities to make use of it. edit: Can't have ruthless on the fangs goes over the limit by 4 points.

skydancer

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 2:08 pm

2x fang lvl 1
1x lvl 2 crossbowman

I exactly plan to play this army in the next week :)
~ work in progress ~

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 2:18 pm

tried that at the end of last week - after loosing twice with other wolfens i ended with this action for now ;)
but i agree that this may be nice against some armies without healing.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Astralwyrm

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm liking rolling 2 Guardian of the Runes so far, for the two lonewolf setup it can be hard. Because the opponent will try to wipe them out rather than your crossbowman and they aren't as tough as Guardian of the Runes. Plus with two guardian of the runes you stifle any necromancer attempts to get in your way >=D. Maybe it's my own mistake that my lonewolfs tend to die but it's hard to balance taking damage and not taking damage ^^';; I really want my opponent to be trying to take out my crossbowman because he's going to use up most of his usefullness once he's used up offensive stance and sometimes it gives me the opportunity to encircle would be attackers.

Also the Guardian of the runes can get to work on pesky paladins with hymn to destiny each turn making them much easier to take down. It doesn't help that i keep getting the archeron maps, but i've only used herassment once out 3 games and even then i don't think it actually helped me at all. I'm going to keep on playing around but i might swap around my crossbowman for one without herassment and swap the fangs for ruthless ones. That would leave me with 6 ap to fill... which would lead me back to mortification. -.- That or giving one of my fangs mighty blow...
Last edited by Astralwyrm on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deep Blue

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

skydancer wrote:
2x fang lvl 1
1x lvl 2 crossbowman

I exactly plan to play this army in the next week :)

real men use PoB 8-)

Useful links:

Astralwyrm

PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Come on deep blue you know full well that real men zerg with hunters :lol: edit: Honestly someone gave me a run for my money the other day running 3 level 2 POB, i still won but it was close.
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum