It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:56 pm

How are wolven doing?

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Dragon_Warrior

Re: How are wolven doing?

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 5:58 pm

First two games (win vs 4 archers and loss vs HB skellys and a Crane) with wolfens:

Major Conclusion No.1
Disfuigured on skellys is serriously wrong Vs Wolfens
Difference between FEAR 10 and 11 may be none Vs another ram and 5% against Lions but Gap for Wolfens is HUGE because Vs 10 half of their units auto-pass and Vs they mus take 55-75% test...

Minor Conclusion No.1
Grave Guardian wth ATT nerfed to 10 makes him really werid elite. First wound or two enemies and he can miss even Skelly.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:First two games with wolfens:

Major Conclusion No.1
Disfuigured on skellys is serriously wrong Vs Wolfens
Difference between FEAR 10 and 11 may be none Vs another ram and 5% against Lions but Gap for Wolfens is HUGE because Vs 10 half of their units auto-pass and Vs they mus take 55-75% test...

Minor Conclusion No.1
Grave Guardian wth ATT nerfed to 10 makes him really werid elite. First wound or two enemies and he can miss even Skelly.

GG DAM 10 is really a big hit. At 11 it was really a different world as it could bi-shot (or quad-shot actually) basic /assault units while now they survive 1 more turn. Pro-tip: use at least two GG, one with scourge-undead one without (or ruthless) and change them depending on the opponent. Vs ram scourge undead becomes really good. Also i still believe that beside few AP difference and nerfs GG > PoB simply because a dead PoB deals 0 damage. PoB is threatened even by 2 morbid puppets which have a nice chance to hit it...a black paladin with the +3 fear buffs just humiliates it. GG has sinergy with all wolven (especially the rune guardian with Ylia's love...that +2 PAR and regen is really yummy) while the PoB? just a silly glass cannon with no real sinergy. Both however suffer the same issue: they sucks after lvl 3. Plus some talents are really weird.

for example:

-lvl 3 GG --> martyr = 10 AP. Please find me one player who loves to self-inflict pain on his 130+ AP elite while the only faithful requires max 2 faith.

-lvl 4 GG--> 26 AP survival instinct (for all the RNG lovers) or 8 AP implacable (being the obvious choice...but even then...on a DAM 10 unit is it that useful?). You are stuck with 2 not-so good talents if you want to reach lvl 5 which offers nice talents but at a very high price.

-lvl 3 PoB--> master strike is the obvious choice. I really love taunt but on PoB is performing poorly most of the time. Why? because it is usually the nr1 target of the enemy so it is less likely that they will suffer the taunt malus, making it much less useful than on a hard to hit unit (GG, KOTL) or a basic unit (swordsman).

lvl 5 PoB --> if you reached this level with your PoB you are probably having a 4 team wolven (or even 3 lol) group and you will suffer lot of humiliations (2 arrows at the start of the game are enough to make you cry). War fury is awesome but you can't really go berserker with a so expensive unit. A worg or GG can afford it because they will either inflict tremendous damage (3 units killled) or have a natural high PAR/DOD to reduce the malus.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 6:52 pm

n. Pro-tip: use at least two GG

all Scourge undeads are obvious sideboards
and Better GG with Implacable than a Knight with same skill :P
nevertheless his DAM of 10 is nothing briliant but (with Born Killer) ok ... while ACC 11 looks terrible on wolfen elite ;)

while the PoB? just a silly glass cannon with no real sinergy.

He cant have Sinergy with Fangs becouse they also glass cannons - but smaller and cheaper
while sinergy with taunting GG is imposible becouse of their costs... so only Lonewolf with healing stays ;)

I started playing with:
2 Fangs
GG
2 Rune Guardians Love/Hymn
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
n. Pro-tip: use at least two GG

all Scourge undeads are obvious sideboards
and Better GG with Implacable than a Knight with same skill :P
nevertheless his DAM of 10 is nothing briliant but (with Born Killer) ok ... while ACC 11 looks terrible on wolfen elite ;)

while the PoB? just a silly glass cannon with no real sinergy.

He cant have Sinergy with Fangs becouse they also glass cannons - but smaller and cheaper
while sinergy with taunting GG is imposible becouse of their costs... so only Lonewolf with healing stays ;)

I started playing with:
2 Fangs
GG
2 Rune Guardians Love/Hymn

yeah as i posted on the strategy forum i found the PoB viable only with 2x lonewolves with ring of ice + mist.

Implacable is indeed better than on the knight (which is quite weird there) but it is something very hard to setup especially if you do not get war fury. Still better than survival instinct anyway but is kind of an obligatory choice.

Useful links:

Almanro

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 am

Deep Blue wrote:yeah as i posted on the strategy forum i found the PoB viable only with 2x lonewolves with ring of ice + mist.

Implacable is indeed better than on the knight (which is quite weird there) but it is something very hard to setup especially if you do not get war fury. Still better than survival instinct anyway but is kind of an obligatory choice.

Problem is that if your Lonewolves are low lvl they don't regen the HP they sacrify for the PoB, if you field 1/2 Lonewolves with Heal & Regen you have so few other units around that the enemy will simply kill the Lonewolves before the PoB (since they have to heal it, they should stay near to it) and if your Lonewolf is hurt or surrounded, trying to heal will only get you an automatic -10HP on the Lonewolf but rarely a + on the PoB. It is VERY difficult to play with that comp, especially against Zerg army or ranged ones.

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 am

DB - how do you see GG lev3 Vs lev5 ?
its worth additional points? Counterattack + Love + taunt looks nice on paper but even now he mostly dies last and if i go to lev 5 - second Rune Guardian will be switched to Fand (so godbye harrasing with Hymn).

Deep Blue

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 9:04 am

Dragon_Warrior wrote:DB - how do you see GG lev3 Vs lev5 ?
its worth additional points? Counterattack + Love + taunt looks nice on paper but even now he mostly dies last and if i go to lev 5 - second Rune Guardian will be switched to Fand (so godbye harrasing with Hymn).

to me lvl 5 talents of the GG are super nice on paper. Taunt + counterattack is so nice if you think about it...they either attack you and maybe get hit twice or attack another unit and get a malus. War fury is also nice if used with some brain. All in all if you go for counterattack you are forced to activate it first while war fury is often better if you activate him last- to minimize hit risks (and you probably won't use taunt that much then).

Other than that....i see no real point to go to level 5 even if the talents are nice. First because tier 4 isn't offering anything so exciting and second (the most important) is that you will be probably forced to go 5 units which won't be really what i define "quality" (3 fangs lvl 1-2?). As an example, i feel it is much stronger this build (not my idea btw):

1x GG lvl 1
1x Wolven hunter lvl 3 (mobile+sneak)
1x RG lvl 2 ylia's love
1x crossbowman lvl 3 instinctive+harassment
1x fang ruthless

it will have your same amount of units , a slightly less powerful-useful GG but i guess much more overall quality and synergy and more solutions.

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 9:54 am

I see current crossbowman so weak that i have proble with forcing myself to take even one ;)
Rune Guardian with Hymn may deal less damage but he can be resonable HtH fighter or even a tank...

Minor Conclusion No.2
Main miracle of Rune Guardian is mostly too suicidal to be usefull (except maybe casting it on himself)... maybe if there will be a option to cast it also on enemy model... but still its risky while having less units than enemy - and he can always activate last.

Deep Blue

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:20 am

Dragon_Warrior wrote:I see current crossbowman so weak that i have proble with forcing myself to take even one ;)
Rune Guardian with Hymn may deal less damage but he can be resonable HtH fighter or even a tank...

Minor Conclusion No.2
Main miracle of Rune Guardian is mostly too suicidal to be usefull (except maybe casting it on himself)... maybe if there will be a option to cast it also on enemy model... but still its risky while having less units than enemy - and he can always activate last.

crossbowmen aren't weak if you give them the good ol' harassment stance. They become weak - when you don't. With ylia's wrath you can have a very dangerous unit. Too bad that having 2 rune guardian =/= 2 active ylia's wrath (on different units).

Beside that i disegree with your conclusion. One unit i found particularly awesome with ylia's wrath, other than the obvious crssobowmen is the fang. When one of your fang is about to die, giving him ylia's wrath for a good offensive burst is amazing. Sometimes you need to strike down important units (ie: legendaries) asap and some sacrifices are in order...why not making this heroic 52 AP fang deal insane damage? :D Often it pays off. I think i won most of my matches vs worg/chimera simply by making my fang uber for 1 turn (or even 2 if im lucky).

It is good also on hunter with sneak attack and on the rune guardian itself but mostly if you have access to mortal insolence.

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 am

deal insane damage?

+3 is not exacly insane change ;)
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum