It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

bad omen hit chance calculation?

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

p122ab0y

bad omen hit chance calculation?

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi can anyone tell me what the hit chance formula is? I casted bad omen on a lion soldier and it still had. 100% hit on my skeleton warrior.

SoulCollector

Re: bad omen hit chance calculation?

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:33 pm

I can't help you with the formula but this is something that has happened to me many times before when I was leveling the Priest. My thoughts are: Bad Omen will give -12 acc to the targeted unit for his next hit or -60% casting chance and reroll if the hit or cast is successful. I believe the tooltip doesn't show the actual hitting chance the unit have when it has the curse on, so... if the unit is surrounded by some units (let say 3 or 4), or let say the cursed unit is very hurt, the chance of hitting is decent even with the curse on. What I'm not sure and would like the devs word on it, is if the re-rolling of the action that succeeded still has the same penalties as the first roll. I mean I have seen some people hit with the curse on, not exactly on favorable conditions (no surrounding or unit not heavily hit) and I believe that was a super lucky hit but if the second roll was done with the same penalties the lucky hits would be almost impossible to get.

p122ab0y

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:39 pm

YEA what's up with that? I spent 10k and time leveling to tryout a 3x priest bad omen comp and it was a big fat fail. I guess the formula is similar to damage where 0 dam (exhausting touch) is still 6-7 damage for elites.

Legulysse

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 10:38 am

- The formula is the same for hit chance and cast chance, except for the stats/bonuses used on offense/defense (80% base chance, 5% x DIFF). The formula is based on a pure mathematical difference between the offensive score and the defensive score. It doesn't care if those values are zeroed, or even negatives.

- Bad Omen is just a big penalty, it will not make an action strictly impossible, so with enough bonuses and a good situation (surrounding units), it's possible to have reasonable chances. I suggest you to keep an eye on the log in-game (top left corner of the screen), it will display if a reroll occurred (but not the roll result) and the final roll used, with the exact values (that's why % chances can be > 100%).

- Concerning the application of the penalty on the second roll, it should be applied but I will have a look, I wouldn't be surprised if the first roll purges the penalties before the second. In this case, it's a bug and will be fixed.

- When a stat is down to 0, it doesn't have more meaning than 1, it will not become something like an auto fail. Stats can even become negative during a formula computation if enough penalties are applied. We only apply a hard minimum of 0 for the base stat itself to avoid horribly negative values.

EDIT: Bug confirmed for the early purge, hopefully it will be fixed for the next patch. And in case of a reroll, both rolls are displayed in the log, so you can check the numbers.
Dogs of War Online - Developper

SoulCollector

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks a lot for the clarification and glad to be of help,I thought something was going on there for all those "super lucky" rolls XD.

p122ab0y

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi Legulyss thanks for that explanation, the hit chance formula seems to work like you said. Can I make a suggestion though, I feel like bad omen could could still be a little more powerful (in the case that it is used against a melee unit). The reaosn being that ram units tend t o have low PAR especially the ones you'd want to protect anyway such as necro, priest, archers (These are also the units targeted first). Not to mention also that you get an additional roll if the first roll fails. Also, wolves have 2 attacks, so against a wolf melee unit, bad omen's effectiveness is further diminished (and lions have divine favor)

Here's practical example: I cast bad omen on enemy swordsman with the intent of possibly parrying a melee attack against my skeleton archer. so based on the formula, the swordsman's hit chance is 80+(0-4)x5 = 60%. Ignoring the 2nd roll thats already a 60% chance to hit. I think bad omen should at least be equally effective against melee as spells (bad omen gives a -60% chance against spells).

Legulysse

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 10:19 am

p122ab0y wrote:Here's practical example: I cast bad omen on enemy swordsman with the intent of possibly parrying a melee attack against my skeleton archer. so based on the formula, the swordsman's hit chance is 80+(0-4)x5 = 60%. Ignoring the 2nd roll thats already a 60% chance to hit. I think bad omen should at least be equally effective against melee as spells (bad omen gives a -60% chance against spells).

Without Bad Omen, the swordsman would have 80+(10-4)x5 = 110% chance to hit, so you inflict a -50% here. I think part of your troubles is the fact that the swordsman penalty doesn't go below 0, which protects him from an additional -10%, and that's a valid argument. We will look into this situation.
Dogs of War Online - Developper

Return to General Forum