It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Sigh...

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Sernior

Re: Sigh...

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 10:37 am

Dragon_Warrior wrote:if you want to play 100% non radom game

Never said it.
My point was :

Sernior wrote:yes, sometimes in this game tactic means nothing, but, thx god, just sometimes not always.

GardenOfSun

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Almanro wrote:I think that the problem may be also due to the fact that the values highlighted when you select a unit aren't omni-comprehensive of all the malus/bonus of the unit (e.g., the total damage done don't show the penalties due to HB or to be wounded, or the charge bonus, etc.)

Moreover, it makes little sense that the archers get also the hit bonus for a unit that is surrounded by other units (it is ok when the archer is one of the surrounding units)... Theoretically it would be more easy to hit your units that are in-between your unit and the enemy than the enemy itself or at least they should give a "cover" bonus, not a malus... Also it doesn't make sense that when the archer is very distant from the enemy, you just select the ones at the center of a group, so you get 1% for him and 10% for each one of the surrounding ones! In general, I think that the scatter values should be revised.

I do agree with this. Sometimes in absence of better alternatives I find myself attempting 1% shots simply because with 10% scatter to the next enemy I know that in fact I'm getting a 10% shot. That's really unrealistic (not mentioning the fact that you can actually scatter to an enemy you'd have no line of sight to).

Dragon_Warrior

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Sernior wrote:
Dragon_Warrior wrote:if you want to play 100% non radom game

Never said it.
My point was :

Sernior wrote:yes, sometimes in this game tactic means nothing, but, thx god, just sometimes not always.

DoW is still far less random than original game... when you always had 3% for one-hit ANY unit without one of two skills preventing that... and one of them was only replacing auto-killed for auto-critical wound.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 3:36 pm

GardenOfSun wrote:
Almanro wrote:I think that the problem may be also due to the fact that the values highlighted when you select a unit aren't omni-comprehensive of all the malus/bonus of the unit (e.g., the total damage done don't show the penalties due to HB or to be wounded, or the charge bonus, etc.)

Moreover, it makes little sense that the archers get also the hit bonus for a unit that is surrounded by other units (it is ok when the archer is one of the surrounding units)... Theoretically it would be more easy to hit your units that are in-between your unit and the enemy than the enemy itself or at least they should give a "cover" bonus, not a malus... Also it doesn't make sense that when the archer is very distant from the enemy, you just select the ones at the center of a group, so you get 1% for him and 10% for each one of the surrounding ones! In general, I think that the scatter values should be revised.

I do agree with this. Sometimes in absence of better alternatives I find myself attempting 1% shots simply because with 10% scatter to the next enemy I know that in fact I'm getting a 10% shot. That's really unrealistic (not mentioning the fact that you can actually scatter to an enemy you'd have no line of sight to).

i think it would be a coding nightmare to make scatter more realistic. :D
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 4:12 pm

current scatter is probably the best one i ever saw.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Legulysse

Site Admin

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 pm

We are planning a little tweak to improve scatter, if we get some time for it ;)
Dogs of War Online - Developper

GardenOfSun

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks, you guys are on the piece as always!
(Although, mind you, I do agree with the others that the system is even now pretty nice)

Dragon_Warrior

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Legulysse wrote:We are planning a little tweak to improve scatter, if we get some time for it ;)

nooo...
scatter is simple as possible and really fine.

Errol Flynn

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 12:54 am

Legulysse wrote:We are planning a little tweak to improve scatter, if we get some time for it ;)

I think the scatter is a really good system. It is not nice when a 70+ % shot hits your own guy, but these things happen in dice games. I really like that you can hit a pack of enemies at a distance, but scatter means you cannot reliably chose targets. You do rarely hit a guy who is behind hard cover with a scatter. This is not even really a problem, arrows at range are actually indirect fire weapons.
I think the missile fire in this has way better mechanics than other games of its type. Be careful what you change with scatter Legulysse. People start threads about rare bad luck just after they rage quit a game. This should not lead to patching.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 am

I think the missile fire in this has way better mechanics than other games of its type. Be careful what you change with scatter Legulysse. People start threads about rare bad luck just after they rage quit a game. This should not lead to patching.

+this
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum