It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

Matchmaking

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Malice

Matchmaking

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 8:44 am

I can almost never get games on my account anymore, it comes up with the notification that a game has been found. I then select okay, but then blue lettering in the top left of the screen comes up saying: 'Your Opponent has refused the game. Priority returned to matchmaking.' Does anyone else have this problem ,it is getting to be a very common occurrence for me. :cry:

Jigoku

Site Admin

Re: Matchmaking

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 am

We never heard of that before.

It is a strange behaviour - since most players are in the queue to play, and they don't know anything about their opponent at that time (when they click "no").

One lead could be solo players waiting in queue, then changing their mind about multi because their solo game is almost over. But it seems rather odd for that matter.

Could you please give us more precise feedback? What does "a very common occurrence" mean to you ?
1 game out of 10? 5? less?

While we investigate, the next patch will help people waiting for too long find opponents much faster, so when it is live, please tell us if you still experience this problem or if it becomes a minor nuisance.
Dogs of War Online - Game Designer

geArz

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Same thing happened to me last night. It was about six refusals in a row after about the fourth one the red lettering came up and said the constraints have been removed, the same message that appears after 3 minutes of waiting.

I think it is from players knowing how the matchmaking works. If an opponent is found under one minute chances are the opponent is matched on ELO.

I would like to add that the alt f4 is getting out of hand. I'll admit two weeks ago I did it a few times out of frustration when I was losing a game. I know for a fact three players high ranked used alt f4 against me to avoid the match. Happened more than once so I know it was intentional.

One way to fix this is to implement a cool down on disconnects. This is unfair to people who have genuine disconnects but it would prevent the alt f4 spamming if someone has to wait 20 minutes till they can play again.

Malice

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

It happens very regularly only this morning, I had about 8-10 instances of this in a row.

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 2:27 pm

geArz wrote:One way to fix this is to implement a cool down on disconnects. This is unfair to people who have genuine disconnects but it would prevent the alt f4 spamming if someone has to wait 20 minutes till they can play again.

Well, F4 is a good way to fall into the bottoms of the "leaver" bracket (though it can be recovered with time).
As for the 20 mn wait... the next patch should make sure it won't happen again (except for extreme cases, for example timezones with very little population playing the game itself).

p122ab0y

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 pm

This doesn't specifically pertain to the issue discussed but does pertain to matchmaking. This happened last night during a match with Malice last night actually. Malice dropped at the beginning of the match which resulted in a win for me and a game interrupt for him. The problem I observed is that the win resulted in 1 point gain (rather than the usual 2). This is the only case I've experienced so Im not sure if dropping at the beginning of a match has yo do with it. While dropping still result in -1 point this could result in players intentionally sabotage a winning ranked opponent from gaining 2 points.

On another matchmaking issue, I've been hearing alot of complaints about players who unknowing get placed in a VIP or KOH match modes when they never intended to play these modes. Im aware that filters for matchmaking is removed after sometime but I think 1) a player should be made aware before accepting a match what mode it is or 2) remove algorithm of matchmaking that result in a mode not selected by the player

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 5:34 pm

p122ab0y wrote:This doesn't specifically pertain to the issue discussed but does pertain to matchmaking. This happened last night during a match with Malice last night actually. Malice dropped at the beginning of the match which resulted in a win for me and a game interrupt for him. The problem I observed is that the win resulted in 1 point gain (rather than the usual 2). This is the only case I've experienced so Im not sure if dropping at the beginning of a match has yo do with it. While dropping still result in -1 point this could result in players intentionally sabotage a winning ranked opponent from gaining 2 points.

I'm sorry but I did not quite understand, so I have some questions:
- When you are speaking about "points", are you speaking about the "Score" points in the Ladder system for the 400 AP bracket ?
If so, dropping at the beginning should not change anything about the score.
However, that score is heavily based on your W/L ratio (the whole score is multiplied by it, actually), so a 2-points Victory for a player with a (more or less) 0.5 WL Ratio should result in a +1 score in this case.
- I did not quite get the sabotage part. Could you elaborate a little bit?
A player wants you to get down in ranks with him, so he leaves and gets penalties for it, in the hopes you will have penalties too ?
Since I'm not sure which penalties we are speaking about, I'm not sure about that part.

p122ab0y wrote:On another matchmaking issue, I've been hearing alot of complaints about players who unknowing get placed in a VIP or KOH match modes when they never intended to play these modes. Im aware that filters for matchmaking is removed after sometime but I think 1) a player should be made aware before accepting a match what mode it is or 2) remove algorithm of matchmaking that result in a mode not selected by the player

Well, that's because we have a lot of trouble with the feedback of these "preferences" in the Play page.
We actually never intended to hint that you had an exclusive choice regarding the mode.
When we wrote "Game Preference", it does not mean that you can really pick one mode exclusively, just that you can indicate which one you prefer, and if we find someone who's like you, we will match you with him.
Most of the time, the system will take your preference into account, but from a theoretical point of view, you could select only "Deathmatch" mode, and find a KOTH game 3s after you queued.

The reason is that we do not want to divide the playerbase. Each queue is in fact a queue for every mode, where your choice weighs quite a bit (but not as much as just NOT playing one mode).

And yes, we know it's awful in its presentation, and sends a false message all over.
And that people, for some reason, hate some modes.

But that will change - hopefully really soon (not the next patch, but maybe the one after... or the second one after :P ).

p122ab0y

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Jigoku wrote:
p122ab0y wrote:This doesn't specifically pertain to the issue discussed but does pertain to matchmaking. This happened last night during a match with Malice last night actually. Malice dropped at the beginning of the match which resulted in a win for me and a game interrupt for him. The problem I observed is that the win resulted in 1 point gain (rather than the usual 2). This is the only case I've experienced so Im not sure if dropping at the beginning of a match has yo do with it. While dropping still result in -1 point this could result in players intentionally sabotage a winning ranked opponent from gaining 2 points.

I'm sorry but I did not quite understand, so I have some questions:
- When you are speaking about "points", are you speaking about the "Score" points in the Ladder system for the 400 AP bracket ?
Yes
If so, dropping at the beginning should not change anything about the score.
However, that score is heavily based on your W/L ratio (the whole score is multiplied by it, actually), so a 2-points Victory for a player with a (more or less) 0.5 WL Ratio should result in a +1 score in this case.
- I did not quite get the sabotage part. Could you elaborate a little bit?
I think I misunderstood the point system. I was under the impression that win=2 points, loss = -1 points, draw= 0 points.
A player wants you to get down in ranks with him, so he leaves and gets penalties for it, in the hopes you will have penalties too ?
Yes, I thought that by disconnecting you can potentially rob the winner of 1 point.
Since I'm not sure which penalties we are speaking about, I'm not sure about that part.

p122ab0y wrote:On another matchmaking issue, I've been hearing alot of complaints about players who unknowing get placed in a VIP or KOH match modes when they never intended to play these modes. Im aware that filters for matchmaking is removed after sometime but I think 1) a player should be made aware before accepting a match what mode it is or 2) remove algorithm of matchmaking that result in a mode not selected by the player

Well, that's because we have a lot of trouble with the feedback of these "preferences" in the Play page.
We actually never intended to hint that you had an exclusive choice regarding the mode.
When we wrote "Game Preference", it does not mean that you can really pick one mode exclusively, just that you can indicate which one you prefer, and if we find someone who's like you, we will match you with him.
Most of the time, the system will take your preference into account, but from a theoretical point of view, you could select only "Deathmatch" mode, and find a KOTH game 3s after you queued.

The reason is that we do not want to divide the playerbase. Each queue is in fact a queue for every mode, where your choice weighs quite a bit (but not as much as just NOT playing one mode).

And yes, we know it's awful in its presentation, and sends a false message all over.
And that people, for some reason, hate some modes.

But that will change - hopefully really soon (not the next patch, but maybe the one after... or the second one after :P ).

Bousk

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 am

Hi,

I think I misunderstood the point system. I was under the impression that win=2 points, loss = -1 points, draw= 0 points.

Those are the base points, available since the previous patch (and given in the corresponding patch note).
This score is also multiplied by the player Win/Loose/Draw/Leave ratio.
Dogs of War Online - Dev Team

yossimte

PostMon Mar 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Malice wrote:I can almost never get games on my account anymore, it comes up with the notification that a game has been found. I then select okay, but then blue lettering in the top left of the screen comes up saying: 'Your Opponent has refused the game. Priority returned to matchmaking.' Does anyone else have this problem ,it is getting to be a very common occurrence for me. :cry:

Haha i think this is less of a bug and more that people are just refusing to play against you. :lol:
Next

Return to General Forum