It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

Useless skills and abilities - volume 2

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Deep Blue

Useless skills and abilities - volume 2

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Back in the closed i did a similar post showcasing all the useless skills and abilities of the game. This helped a lot the developers and thanks to that they changed MANY of them and made the game much more interesting as the "best" build wasn't so obvious anymore and every tree was somehow unique.

Right now this is much better but still more can be done. Please list all the talents/skills you will never ever consider. Notice that a talent can be good in a vacuum but you should consider also the other option you can choose.

I will start (im not going to repeat certain skills if there are in multiple units):

Ram:

- Skeleton warrior -> Possessed. I like this talent i really do but it has no reason to exist next to ferocious or hardboiled, the real choice there. I can't think of one reason to go for possessed instead of ferocious or hardboiled. Also, 7 AP is quite a lot of it, it might interesting if it is a filler talent costing 2-3 AP or if it is merged with ferocious (leaving the choice between HB and ferocious+possessed). This would make ferocious talent a good overall ability that is always useful regardless of the enemy.

- Skeleton archer -> possessed here is marginally more important but the real choice is always between ferocious and fierce.
- Skeleton archer -> double shot. It works on lion archer but NOT on the skeleton one. No divine favor and a lower ACC makes it worthless even point blank.

-Necromancer -> coscience (all units). Still too many AP for what it does. The fact that the maps are smaller it doesn't help this talent to shine either. I would reduce it to a cost of 15-12 AP as focus is always the most obvious choice here.

- Priest of saluel -> occult erosion. Amazing skill but a bit worthless on the priest as if you want a good mage counter a paladin is so much better for the same price more or less (and can be lvl 2 only!). Too many points spent for a unit who is effective only sometimes is quite bad. Add another skill, bitte.
- Priest of saluel -> Aura of crepuscular princes , still have to see it once played. I guess it is nice on paper but transfer is so awesome and necessary i will never ever consider it.

Gargoyle -> Assassin. I would like my suggestion implemented (100% crit if more than a 100 or 120% hit chance). Too random imo and an assault unit shouldn't be too expensive and hope for the RNG.

-Flesh golem -> fierce. Who would go for that when HB is super good on the golem? the difference between a unit doing 4 damage or 1 is so important in this game that nobody would go for fierce.

Wolf:

-Fang/hunter -> assault strike. That skill is rubbish. It backfires so much is not even funny (attack of opportunity when disengaging + malus for the whole turn!). Also if you kill the enemy with that, you will pursuit normally (3 hexagons) making the skill useless. It is even more useless on the hunter without the Elusive talent and we all know how much it sucks to have your assault units hit even more reliably!!
Solution -> keept the malus but if the unit is killed with the assault strike the pursuit movement will be equal to the MOV of the unit

- Wolven lonewolf -> semi/useless Mortification. I say this because if you don't take regeneration you will use it maybe 2 times in the game. If you take regeneration it might fail (85% success chance...full life not engaged) making it not the most reliable tool for healing. Solution -> make mortification success rate at 95% chance. Mastery for the arcana should be for the internal rage path, not for the support path!

- Rune guardian -> scourge: magicians. 9 ap for something so specific? 4 AP for scourge: living dead is SO Much better and costs less (plus you can use it effectively as you would swap to your GG with scourge undeads only when you face ram so it will be always used the buff...while you never know if the enemy will have some mages!)

- Grave guardian -> Martyr. I love that skill but for TEN AP? i will always go for taunt, especially when the only faithful needs maximum 3 faith.
-Grave guardian -> survival instinct. Too random for its price. Keep the same price but make it so the unit doesn't get the surrounded malus or that the malus is reduced to 5% per unit.

i will let the lion experts comment on them :-)

Lion
- Sparkling - Elusive (not for 4ap... its 20% of units price), Parry is better but 8 + 2 still makes no difference mostly. (dragonwarrior)
- Swordsman - Fencer and Vivacity... first is +10% or not... and Vivacity on unit woth DoD 8? no way...(dragonwarrior + Deuzerre)
For The Light needs fix and Taunt would be nice to work as all other stances. (dragonwarrior)
- Bowman - Sharpshoter - high cost and ocasional - something new would be nicer. (dragonwarrior + Deuzerre + Deep Blue)
- Lion - Survival (to random) and Flurry of blows (-6 Dam both for attacks and counterattacks is terrible)(dragonwarrior)
- Knight - Implacable and Righeous (bravery test its only chance for knight for small STR buff) also taunt could work as all stances.(dragonwarrior + Deuzerre)
- Chimera - Righteous (build in or out - with hyperian and bravery she is far from needing it) + Guardian angel needs a buff and SoV some fixes + consciousnes for 40 is hell but it would be nice on such unit.(dragonwarrior)
Last edited by Deep Blue on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

Re: Useless skills and abilities - volume 2

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm

- Wolven lonewolf -> semi/useless Mortification.

i can't agree on that but rest is more or less true.

as for possesed it simply should be cheaper on skeletons and would be realy a worthy option.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
- Wolven lonewolf -> semi/useless Mortification.

i can't agree on that but rest is more or less true.

as for possesed it simply should be cheaper on skeletons and would be realy a worthy option.

i should have written that i do play a lonewolf with mortification quite regularly. The issue is that regeneration is really mandatory because mastery of the arcana while making it 100% effective is REALLY bad as you are just transferring the hp...and since your lonewolf cost 80+ AP.. im expecting to do it a bit better. Add the fact that casting a mortification makes you less likely to suceed as you have the WIL penalty because of your (Self inflicted) wounds and you have a very tough life suddenly to cast it when you are at half life without mastery. You cannot also realistically park the lonewolf behind your army as you are making 80+ AP not used at their full potential...

Useful links:

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 7:41 pm

imo regeneration + mortification is quite obvious and really strong as for 10 insta healing...
Lions as a healing faction have their healing miracle with 0 insta healing on much more fragile units :P

and its obvious that Mortification would be used to heal elites in combat mostly while lonewolf is quite safe out of it.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Almanro

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:imo regeneration + mortification is quite obvious and really strong as for 10 insta healing...
and its obvious that Mortification would be used to heal elites in combat mostly while lonewolf is quite safe out of it.

The "10 insta healing" are however lied to "10 insta damage" to the Lonewolf ALSO if the spell fails (and it fails A LOTS even when he's full HP!). You have also to remember that Wolfen unit are less numerous that other army and also that if the Lonewolf uses its ability it must be in range of the elite and after casting he can't run anymore (to solve the previous problem of the "Harassing caster"), so your Lonewolf will more or less never be effectively "safe out of it".

PS: I agree anyway that regeneration + mortification is quite obvious since the other part of the tree is not interesting at all! :)

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 pm

its not insane crazy heal - but when used on GG, PoB or Work its really usefull...
at least it was when i last played Wolfens

Deuzerre

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Wolfen lonewolf: Focus. It only has one spell that can take advantage of it. If it did increase the heal, maybe it could b better...

Run Guardian: Yllia's Love: a pathetic heal that can be broken if it takes damage again. Especially useless when you get putrefaction or a similar spell in the face. Maybe quite easier to cast would do the trick.

Wolfen Hunter: Assault strike. Doesn't suit the unit's role, since it's best used to finish off targets, not hit them then run

Grave guardian: Implacable. Not that great since it's more of a tank than a killer. Would be better with Fierce.

ALAHAN:
Fencer: Too many "If". Must not have been attacked to get an accuracy bonus... Meh. Should only be "+2 accuracy when activated".

Archer of Alahan: Sharpshooter. Both overpriced and situational.

Knight of the Lion: Implacable... Seriously, it does so little damage that it's not ever taken.

ARCHEON
Warrior. As you say, possessed kinda sucks. Replacing it with Fierce would be fun though.

Black paladin: Aura of crepuscular princes. Kinda sucks. I'd appreciate Inversion, would be absurdly awesome actually. To compensate, the activations of Inversion should go to 2 for the priest.

Golem: Scourge of the living. +3 damage is redundant with the damage it deals already.

Hod

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Deep Blue wrote:- Skeleton archer -> double shot. It works on lion archer but NOT on the skeleton one. No divine favor and a lower ACC makes it worthless even point blank.

Can definitely agree with this. The amount of double Dodges I've had with this is insane.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Alahan:

- Sparkling - Elusive (not for 4ap... its 20% of units price), Parry is better but 8 + 2 still makes no difference mostly.
- Swordsman - Fencer and Vivacity... first is +10% or not... and Vivacity on unit woth DoD 8? no way...
For The Light needs fix and Taunt would be nice to work as all other stances.
- Bowman - Sharpshoter - high cost and ocasional - something new would be nicer.
- Lion - Survival (to random) and Flurry of blows (-6 Dam both for attacks and counterattacks is terrible)
- Knight - Implacable and Righeous (bravery test its only chance for knight for small STR buff) also taunt could work as all stances.
- Chimera - Righteous (build in or out - with hyperian and bravery she is far from needing it) + Guardian angel needs a buff and SoV some fixes + consciousnes for 40 is hell but it would be nice on such unit.
Last edited by Dragon_Warrior on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deep Blue

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Almanro wrote:
Dragon_Warrior wrote:imo regeneration + mortification is quite obvious and really strong as for 10 insta healing...

The "10 insta healing" are however lied to "10 insta damage" to the Lonewolf ALSO if the spell fails (and it fails A LOTS even when he's full HP!). You have also to remember that Wolfen unit are less numerous that other army and also that if the Lonewolf uses its ability it must be in range of the elite and after casting he can't run anymore (to solve the previous problem of the "Harassing caster"), so your Lonewolf will more or less never be effectively "safe out of it".

PS: I agree anyway that regeneration + mortification is quite obvious since the other part of the tree is not interesting at all! :)

exactly this. The other part of the tree is interesting if you go for arcana mastery+internal rage (which has quite a high difficulty). Internal rage is very nice imo as it cost only 2 mana it deals lot of damage especially to casters (22 damage with focus on lion mage)

Useful links:
Next

Return to General Forum