It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 pm

Hate it that I can't redistribute my ability points

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

SoulCollector

Re: Hate it that I can't redistribute my ability points

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 7:13 am

Serdak wrote:Can't say much about the financing of indie video games these days. If that's the case, it doesn't change my point: I'm willing to pay $20 for the content of the game as it stands, provided I never pay again (except for new content). Give me that option.

Hey, why not charge me $15 and promise me free content in the future? Then, as you add content, raise the price tag for everyone else. Your financing is still front-loaded and you might draw in more gamers as you develop and offer a more complete product.

What i think you fail to understand is that you are in the minority of the people that is bothered by this, there is a reason why the F2P model is doing so well in general.

They can't offer you the content there is right now only to you or people that think like you for $20 because only a minority of the players will pay that and that won't be enough to make this a viable business for them to spend their time on.

You do have the option now to pay $20 and get 180 Cyans from it, 180 Cyans will buy you enough units to make yourself be one of the top 10 ranked players every week, that will give you an extra 50 free Cyans and even if you end up only on top 100 you get 10 free Cyans, if you didn't had the time to play enough matches to be able to get Cyans the rank resets every Monday for you to try again next week.

The more you play, the more Ducats you make, giving you enough Ducats to also buy what ever you want aside from small things like extra Unit slots and Company slot.

You won't have everything the first day or even the first week, this is just like anything in life, take your time and enjoy the game.

But my complaints, no doubt, fall on deaf ears. I suppose for as long as it works, developers will continue to prey on gamers' psychological foibles to make money. It just won't work on me.

Not at all, I'm pretty sure the developers read everything on this forums and they will think about what you said but developers are not preying on anyone here, you are free to stay and have fun with the rest of us or go play something that suits you better. That is the beauty of F2P model, you can play the game enough to see if you feel like the game is good enough for you to pay for it, if the game was not good enough you just leave to play something else without losing a single cent of your hard earned money, in the F2P model you don't get the usual marketing BS that sells you the "perfect game" that will only make you feel like you were robbed later on when you finish the game after 6 hours.

Serdak

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 2:27 pm

SoulCollector wrote:What i think you fail to understand is that you are in the minority of the people that is bothered by this, there is a reason why the F2P model is doing so well in general.

They can't offer you the content there is right now only to you or people that think like you for $20 because only a minority of the players will pay that and that won't be enough to make this a viable business for them to spend their time on.

I find it difficult to believe that in these days of $10 and $20 games distributed digitally via Steam and similar platforms, along with nigh-free advertising from a bevy of gaming sites, that DOW couldn't compete.

You do have the option now to pay $20 and get 180 Cyans from it, 180 Cyans will buy you enough units to make yourself be one of the top 10 ranked players every week, that will give you an extra 50 free Cyans and even if you end up only on top 100 you get 10 free Cyans, if you didn't had the time to play enough matches to be able to get Cyans the rank resets every Monday for you to try again next week.

"See? You can actually have all the fun you want, provided you play a lot and are among the best players on the server."

The more you play, the more Ducats you make, giving you enough Ducats to also buy what ever you want aside from small things like extra Unit slots and Company slot.

Irrelevant, because ...

You won't have everything the first day or even the first week, this is just like anything in life, take your time and enjoy the game.

Real life is work. Real life is paying bills and slogging through mindless boring repetitive tax papers and arguments with the insurance company. Real life is throwing away 8 hours of my life each day doing something I'd rather not so I can continue to eat. Real life is saving incrementally for retirement or vacations or a new car. Real life is getting old and broken and being limited by the laws of reality.

I play games for fun. I play games for challenge. I play games for escape. I do not play games to work. I do not want my games to simulate real life. That's exactly contrary to the point.

Don't put artificial barriers in my way.

hat is the beauty of F2P model, you can play the game enough to see if you feel like the game is good enough for you to pay for it, if the game was not good enough you just leave to play something else without losing a single cent of your hard earned money,

You mean like a free demo? Or reading reviews on any of a dozen gaming sites? I'm pretty sure games have had those for decades ...

Anyway, there's nothing preventing them from adding this kind of payment model to what they already have.

megaplini

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 2:55 pm

To be honest I think you guys are overcompicating the matter.
You are asking yourself the wrong questions. The game content and the game financing are two different things. If you guys want to have a discussion about the money, that is fine. Just make a seperate thread for it. This thread is about the Talent points and how much it sucks that you can't redistribute them. Not being able to redistribute your talent points makes it verry hard to try out new things making things less fun for everyone.

So if you want to rant about cyans, this is not the place. Feel free to make a new thread

SoulCollector

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 4:44 pm

megaplini wrote:To be honest I think you guys are overcompicating the matter.
You are asking yourself the wrong questions. The game content and the game financing are two different things. If you guys want to have a discussion about the money, that is fine. Just make a seperate thread for it. This thread is about the Talent points and how much it sucks that you can't redistribute them. Not being able to redistribute your talent points makes it verry hard to try out new things making things less fun for everyone.

So if you want to rant about cyans, this is not the place. Feel free to make a new thread

Yes. This thread went from one thing to the other too fast but there is a reason for it, devs can't just add features without giving it a serious thought, if it goes wrong they just can't take it away or the player base will go ballistic and will flood the forums with threads about it and leave and make other people leave in the process.

I know everyone would love a reset featured item, hell, I want it too and we will all also love units didn't cost anything to get and that there wasn't a unit or company limit to try new things and that there wasn't any experience needed to level up units but it just not viable in my opinion, I want this game to last, and that brings the money part of the argument, devs can't eat if they don't make money out of this game. If this feature is implemented I hope it will have a Cyans only value attached to it at least so they can limit the amount of people that uses it and they also cash on it but some people won't like this to be an only Cyans option and I understand, it won't be fun for all but at least the devs would have something else to sell for Cyans to make money out of this game.

Serdak wrote:Real life is work. Real life is paying bills and slogging through mindless boring repetitive tax papers and arguments with the insurance company. Real life is throwing away 8 hours of my life each day doing something I'd rather not so I can continue to eat. Real life is saving incrementally for retirement or vacations or a new car. Real life is getting old and broken and being limited by the laws of reality.

I play games for fun. I play games for challenge. I play games for escape. I do not play games to work. I do not want my games to simulate real life. That's exactly contrary to the point.

Don't put artificial barriers in my way.

I don't even know what to say about this. I also work 8 hours a day and I also have to to do those same boring repetitive tasks but this is not how I define life by a long shot. I actually enjoy life.

I find it difficult to believe that in these days of $10 and $20 games distributed digitally via Steam and similar platforms, along with nigh-free advertising from a bevy of gaming sites, that DOW couldn't compete.

Most of those games you see on Steam for that $10 or $20 are mainly in discount, and it is not the same model. The devs of this game already made a decision, that is to follow the F2P model. If they feel they could charge $20 for the game for people like you to have everything with a single payment, they will eventualy do it.

You mean like a free demo? Or reading reviews on any of a dozen gaming sites? I'm pretty sure games have had those for decades ...

Anyway, there's nothing preventing them from adding this kind of payment model to what they already have.

Most games don't have Demos now days, the Demo it self is extra work for the dev team. I used to play and enjoy Demos a lot but those times are over, you will hardly find the Demo of any game out there anymore.

Anyway, I think I made my point of view very clear, so I will make this my last post in this Thread.

GardenOfSun

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 pm

I'd like to chime in just to say that I too think some kind of reset function would be really welcome. I also don't think it'd be so financially troubling: you could just sell it for cyans and - maybe - for A LOT of ducats, thus creating a potential ducat sink for the high level players.
Previous

Return to General Forum