It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 pm

Fightclubbing.

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Sernior

Re: Fightclubbing.

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 1:16 am

p122ab0y wrote:Boom.

It is pvp based, It has queue system, it is in beta and is actually having a good amount of followers... what am I talking about? smite.
LoL the most played game in the world has queue system and is pvp based. spectator mode? yes.
Many new generation RTS-O have spactator even if friend based.
So yes, I am not like pretending it now but spectator mode is 100% one of the feature this game has to have before the release, I supposed this was like a no doubt to everyone, i mean you just have to look around other similar games and this is like the one feature they ALL have in common, I mean critics are fine but you cant really argue against something that is already so well fitted and proved for these kind of games.
About impact on the comunity well let's just see the games I named you... spectator mode increased a lot the interest in the game because allowed the game to become more than a game, it became a sport (like league of legends) that players can watch even if they are tired of playing.

Now, you could counter argue by saying that this is a different game, but before you do please remember that your argumentations to discredit spectator mode were not this game specific (but mostly anthropological I'd say, lol, and apply to every game) so if you try to go this way you would make a logical mistake.

SoulCollector

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 2:25 am

Sernior wrote:

It is pvp based, It has queue system, it is in beta and is actually having a good amount of followers... what am I talking about? smite.
LoL the most played game in the world has queue system and is pvp based. spectator mode? yes.
So yes, I am not like pretending it now but spectator mode is 100% one of the feature this game has to have before the release, I supposed this was like a no doubt to everyone, i mean you just have to look around other similar games and this is like the one feature they ALL have in common, I mean critics are fine but you cant really argue against something that is already so well fitted and proved for these kind of games.
About impact on the comunity well let's just see the games I named you... spectator mode increased a lot the interest in the game because allowed the game to become more than a game, it became a sport (like league of legends) that players can watch even if they are tired of playing.

Now, you could counter argue by saying that this is a different game, but before you do please remember that your argumentations to discredit spectator mode were not this game specific (but mostly anthropological I'd say, lol, and apply to every game) so if you try to go this way you would make a logical mistake.

I think the point he was trying to make was that spectator mode is not just something the devs click on a button that say "spectator mode enable" and it's done, it would need a hell of a lot more work than that. This is not LoL, neither is it anything remotly similar and I don't mean the game style or what ever, I mean the amount of players playing it, LoL was based on a huge boom that was the mod called DoTA and attracted that huge player base to their game.
That won't ever happen to this game (i hate to say it) but i believe that is the truth, not on that massive scale at least, this is a game based on a Table Top that is more like a niche product.

If you want the suppose exploit to be fixed as soon as this year, what they need to do, is just some modifications to the code they already have.

For now there are other things this game need implemented first like other races or more units, or a 2 vs 2 PvP system or more Items, or a more serious story mode for people that want to play more single mode instaed of just PvP, or more maps.

Spectator mode is great and we all love it and I'm sure eventually we will have it in the game but is not the right time for it at this moment (at least in my opinion).

p122ab0y

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 3:06 am

Sernior wrote:

Where do I even begin.... First of all the two games you just mentioned are NOT the same genre as this game. DoW is a turn-based mmorts. LoL and Smite is nothing like DoW. Second, you said that "many new generation RTS-O" have spectator made. Can you name me a few? If theres so many im sure you can easily name TONS. Lastly, I've never actually played LoL or Smite but like I mentioned before, many sites offer streamers who essentially have thousands of spectators (viewers) watching their channels live. Why waste the time to build an in-game rigid spectator mode (mandatory) when there are already available and free options on the web.

Sernior

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 10:14 am

p122ab0y wrote:spectator made. Can you name me a few?

Starcraft 2, also total war games since empire... (thats how many? 6-5? I am not even counting anymore how many total wars there are).
p122ab0y wrote:Where do I even begin.... First of all the two games you just mentioned are NOT the same genre as this game.

Sernior wrote:

p122ab0y wrote:Consider also the impact your proposal has on the players. While some may like it, I venture to people in general prefer to more freedom to choose whether or not they wish to have their games broadcasted. By making it mandatory, you might risk pushing players away.

You see the reasons you gave have nothing to do with this game in particular.

SoulCollector wrote:Spectator mode is great and we all love it and I'm sure eventually we will have it in the game but is not the right time for it at this moment (at least in my opinion).

I agree:
Sernior wrote:So yes, I am not like pretending it now but spectator mode is 100% one of the feature this game has to have before the release.

Plus would resolve the fightclubbing problem.

p122ab0y wrote:LoL and Smite is nothing like DoW.

???!?
PVP based on a queue system... nothing like? It is the same basic Idea applyed to another kind of game. Am I the only one to see that?
p122ab0y wrote:Why waste the time to build an in-game rigid spectator mode (mandatory) when there are already available and free options on the web.

Do you remember why I proposed this feature?

yossimte

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Why would you even need a friend? Its free to play so you could theoretically just play against yourself. :lol:

Saying that, i think a lot of the inflated scores are just down to people seeing golem and quitting, only to get the same guy again 5 minutes later.

Almanro

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 7:28 pm

yossimte wrote:Saying that, i think a lot of the inflated scores are just down to people seeing golem and quitting, only to get the same guy again 5 minutes later.

That is a possibility. I remember that two weeks ago when I was playing the Golem I got 3 "wins" in like 5 minutes because I met three times the same enemy that conceded all three times without even finishing to deploy the troops!

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 11:15 am

Hello,

a quick answer to some of your concerns: while we think spectator mode is a very valid feature that we want in the game at some point, it is not in our top priority list right now.
Spectator mode is indeed a heavy task which needs a lot of work, and unfortunately there are far more important things to do for the moment. Which doesn't mean we do not think about it - but you will have to settle for Twitch or other online broadcasting methods until we work on the tools to make that happen ingame.

Also, we do not believe the spectator mode will fix the problem at hand.
If ouf investigation reveals that "Fightclubbing" is a serious issue, we feel that it could be fixed by many other (smaller) ways that we will use against such practices.
Dogs of War Online - Game Designer
Previous

Return to General Forum