It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

A Post-Patch Ranked Lion Build That I like....

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Errol Flynn

A Post-Patch Ranked Lion Build That I like....

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 am

I had abandoned my old Lion Company out of disgust with the new patch. I have returned to it because although I like Ram and Wolf play styles they are just not the type of thing I would usually want to go in a game like this. When it comes to fantasy I am a racist, humans all the way for me.

This build is 400 AP, constructed from units I had available and I have not used it extensively. It does appear fairly solid though and close to the type of play I like. It also contains a KoTL that I have previously considered too expensive for ranked games. (Not too expensive as a unit, just too expensive for ranked games):

The Build is as follows:

1x lvl 1 KoTL
3x lvl 2 Swordsmen w/ Parry
1x lvl 3 Archer w/ Accuracy and Double Shot
1x lvl 2 Valk w/ Favourable Auspices
1x lvl 1 Valk

Total AP is 400 on the nose. So far seems solid with the Archer being the only really fragile unit. He is pretty easy to protect due to the amount of fairly tough melee units. The KoTL seems to be worth his AP in this comp, but you could get more units for his AP and be less vulnerable to ET and other things that wreck single units. This is the first Lion Build I have tried without a Lion of War and I do miss that guy. People say Lion of War is the worst assault which is true in some ways but he is also the only one who can use Divine Favour and reasonably expect to go first.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

Vahire

Re: A Post-Patch Ranked Lion Build That I like....

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 10:45 am

From a ram point of view : Lion of war > 2 swordem everyday.This unit can go out of control really fast for archers/necro and still do well against skull thanks to divine favour.

Else i dont know if keeping your valk lvl 1 is still worth it now.I could see a lvl 4 valk with incarnation of justice instead of 2 valk.

Would mean:

_1 lvl 2 lion of war for 74 ap or lvl 1 for 55 ap if you want 2 swordmen
_1 lvl 1 kotl 127 ap,could be a lvl 2.
_1 lvl 4 valk 91 ap
_1 lvl 3 archer 59 ap
_1 or 2 swordmen.
It's also about your playstyle.

Deep Blue

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 11:03 am

Lion of war is indeed very good...and not taking him to level 3 with sneak attack is a serious crime :) assault units are all about dealing damage and last as long as possible and sneak attack does exactly this. Mobile+ruthless+sneak attack makes it very annoying to deal with.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Lion of war is indeed very good...and not taking him to level 3 with sneak attack is a serious crime

sneak attack works for him a bit less effective than for gargoyle - first difference is lower STR and the second one is lower TOU that forces attack and dun strategy.
Currently i have one lev 3 lion and one lev 1 ... and to be honest im not remember if I used sneak attack once or not ;P

From a ram point of view : Lion of war > 2 swordem everyday.

not exacly - as a skeleton counter swordsman are better - still far from being effective but better. Lion Get really huge hits from regular units STR and two skelletons have really big chance to hit him that if i need to block a patch with a lion - i don't attack only wait (with defence stance it works - but there are only two such stances now - old divine provided smaller but until end of turn +2 bonus to PAR but back then lions cost was to high)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
Lion of war is indeed very good...and not taking him to level 3 with sneak attack is a serious crime

sneak attack works for him a bit less effective than for gargoyle - first difference is lower STR and the second one is lower TOU that forces attack and dun strategy.
Currently i have one lev 3 lion and one lev 1 ... and to be honest im not remember if I used sneak attack once or not ;P

dont forget the lion has ruthless thus making his DAM 14 -> 15 like the gargoyle most of the time :)
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 10:09 pm

partially yes but Gargoyle still have +1 in charge and counterattacks situations...
and as i checked right now (dame is down for me - so i chcecked in dam table) - for two hitting tou 6 charge is still needed - so ruthless lion can deal no more than 2x19 ;) ... except sparkling ;p
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Return to General Forum