It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm

Brainstorm: less randomization

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Errol Flynn

Re: Brainstorm: less randomization

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Sernior wrote:PS ok maybe I found a way to explain it:
Suppose you are in a wood in real life and in this wood you know there is a guy who wants to fight you to death, now you both have swords but during the fight at one point a tree fall on your opponent and kill him, that was lucky, but you also were good to remain alive and actually could have happened that he killed you if before the lucky event he got you off guard with his sword.
Another thing is that, with (or against) the same guy you started to play russian roulette if you have the first try and the bullet is in the second shot you will survive and he will die even if you repeat the game infinite times, another matter is the first situation that could evolve in different ways (not every time the tree will fall on your opponent but it depends on the fight you set up against him before the event!) and the roll factor have a much less importance and is not the centre of the fight.

You have to understand that rolls must be logically dependant (as mathematicians would say) on your tactic and what happened before the roll and never be independant.

I re-read that. I think you should to. It does not serve your argument at all.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.

Deep Blue

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 1:12 pm

Errol Flynn wrote:
Sernior wrote:
Errol Flynn wrote:What I am saying is if you are looking to remove random elements it will have to go deeper than the handful of skills shown here.

But that's not what he is trying to do.
The random aspect of the game is something you cant take away from a game like this, but there is random and Random like I tryed to explain you... the first random is logically dependant by past events, the second Random is indepentant by everything and it s just a coin toss you have to face at some point.

Your explanation was pretty silly actually. Explain how I can influence the discipline roll? If I cannot it falls into the category that you and deep blue are talking about. Not able to be influenced. This game had a lot more right than wrong when I started playing. You are looking to change things that are really not that big a deal, and for me they are fine. Trying to look smart with your absolutely irrelevant analogy does nothing to change my opinion of that.

they are not a big deal because:

-nobody uses survival instinct and assassin
- you are probably fine with coin tossing or you haven't experienced the frustration of having your mage dealing 0 damages with 3-4 spells (or the opposite if you have ring of mist/insensitive and a mage is wrecking you). i mean it comes down to what you like to see in a game and i respect what you like but is just not my taste (and maybe im not alone). Remember that often you have no choice about what to target.

i'm sorry for quoting myself but maybe you didn't read my edited suggestion as i believe it explains what i want: interaction between players and expected results.

Ring of ice -> Same as insensitive with reduced damage from arrows or a -ACC penalty for ranged attacks (notice that having a -ACC from ranged attacks , while still random it can be played around by the player/opponent! a point blank shot will probably hit regardless! this is the interaction i want!). Dispelled if the caster dies.

you are right when you say you cannot influence discipline roll BUT you can make a strategy out of it which often is reliable. If i'm playing lion vs ram i expect to start first which might lead me to make my mage sprint in the direction of that ugly skull warrior so that in the next turn i can finish it off (as i will move first, instead of having the skull charging the mage on offensive). Well sometimes this strategy can go terribly wrong but the odds are on my side and is a calculated risk. I wouldn't dare it probably vs wolven but there might be the case where it is needed. Once again...this ok for me. Let's not change the topic as i was referring to the 4 RNG skills/talents this game has and not on other elements which i like.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Deuzerre

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm

As I put in an other thread, I'd like Ring of mist/ice to work on the same idea as hard boiled: a damage reduction of 3 for a specific type of attack.

This way, hard boiled does -3 physical damage, mist does -3 magical damage and Ice does -3 ranged damage.

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 7:35 pm

This way, hard boiled does -3 physical damage, mist does -3 magical damage and Ice does -3 ranged damage.

Hard boiled does -3 any damage :P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deuzerre

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:

Hard boiled does -3 any damage :P

It's the point: Nerfing Hard boiled so it's cheaper, and they can complement each other.

Deep Blue

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Deuzerre wrote:As I put in an other thread, I'd like Ring of mist/ice to work on the same idea as hard boiled: a damage reduction of 3 for a specific type of attack.

i'd say hardboiled has to work as it is now. I mean i see your point but that would highly impacts on elite units. A poB vulnerable to arrows will make it much easier to handle.

a golem with insensitive would have a flat -6 damage spell reduction. Truth to be told any lvl 5 mage will have focus which basically negates the insensitive. Obviously you can't expect to kill a golem easily with primal attacks :)

ring of ice probably should give a flat reduction of 2 instead of 3 while mist is ok at 3 imo.

Since the only units in the lonewolf army that have access to hardboiled are the PoB and the Worg, lets see how it would affect if the ice ring+HB stacks:

- Lion archer Vs PoB with ring of ice: 6 damage with accuracy 3 damage without. To me is ok.
- Skeleton archer vs PoB : they have access to ferocious
- wolven crossbowmen : they have access to ferocious

Worg wit the higher TOU might be a bit more problematic with ring of ice as you would have lion archers dealing 3 damage with accuracy and 1 without (golem style). Keep in mind that i tried building an army with these ideas in mind and point wise you can only make worg (HB+Ruth) + 2 lonewolves lvl 2 with the 2 rings, so no heal for the worg nor regeneration which means that a company that doesn't rely uniquely on archers+mages can probably still win.

Useful links:

Deuzerre

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Don't forget that they're pretty much denied by the "6 DAM whatever happens" that archers or foot soldiers can get.

I find that a damage reduction for all damage is too... How could you say... easy?

Errol Flynn

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 9:16 pm

These spells/abilities are very powerful, but you cannot guarantee the result. If it does something reliable it will not be an equivalent, it will need to be made much weaker than you guys are saying. An elite/legend that can reliably shrug off spells and arrows is much more powerful than a 50% chance. Too powerful in my opinion. To me an essential part of a spell or ability that is this powerful and easy to use is that it needs to have a chance to fail, a big chance. I am a Lion player never used heal sparks, but knew and said that the heal was too powerful to be guaranteed.

You are trying to paint yourself as a strategist and my opinions as those of a 'lucker'. That is not the case. I actually think the 50% fail is an absolutely necessary balance to something that is that powerful and easy to gain unreasonable advantage from.

Deep Blue

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Deuzerre wrote:Don't forget that they're pretty much denied by the "6 DAM whatever happens" that archers or foot soldiers can get.

I find that a damage reduction for all damage is too... How could you say... easy?

Do you refer to hardboiled as "easy"?

the other alternative i suggested which might make even Errol Flynn happy (maybe im asking too much here) is that ring of ice guarantees a -ACC penalty to all ranged units targetting the buffed unit so that there is the RNG factor + the possibility to interact with it (coding wise they could make it as if they are buffed with vivacity). About ring of the mist/insensitive here is a bit trickier because there is no way for the other player to increase the WIL altough talents such as mastery of the arcana can influence it

Useful links:

Errol Flynn

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Not familiar with the Confrontation universe, but I assume other (new) factions will have high powered low chance abilities. It is pretty standard issue for Goblin teams/armies in most fantasy games to have such units. It is also standard issue for artillery type units which I am sure some people will get access to. I usually don't go those things as my main force, but they are a lot of fun to play with or against. I think you are judging these things on a 1 game or single spell/shot basis. Overall they work as intended, with the odd run of bad or good luck making them worse or better than expected. Perfectly fine and realistic in my opinion.
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum