It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

Queue system

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

SoulCollector

Queue system

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 6:33 am

I'm here to talk about the Queue system, after this patch the games were suppose to be launched 2 times faster but im not seeing it, so far today i have wasted 100 minutes of my day just waiting for games, 2 x 10 minutes queue that ended with a game, 3 x 20 minutes queue that ended with no games and 2 x 10 minutes that ended with no games.

Maybe is because I'm leveling units and only playing on the 250 AP bracket (bracket that I love because of the fast games) but to be honest this is getting out of hand, i saw another guy (Other) that had a 120 minutes queue yesterday at 400 AP, hopefully he can post a screenshot of it but this problem have been going for a while now, if the game was massively succesful we probably wouldnt have this problem due to the amount of players but we dont have that amount of players on the open beta yet (hopefully we will have more in the future), my question is: Do we really need this Queue System now? Can't it be replaces with an available list of waiting games maybe? or can you guys just think of something else?

As this is an internet game we don't all come from the same country or have the same time zone, some times zones have a higher amount of players than others. This just can't continue, for me at least i don't know about the rest but it's silly for a game that i want to play to not let me play it when i have the time or to make me waste 100 or more minutes of my daily life looking at a timer.

Thank you for reading this and hopefully we can get this fixed ASAP or some time zones will start to have less and less players due to the fact that they cant play!

Almanro

Re: Queue system

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 am

Noticed the same problem since the last patch was lanched: some messages of servers down and usually queues that lasted longer than before the patch (depending on the time I tried, from 5 to much more than 10 minutes before a game starts at 400AP lvl).

Hod

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 8:03 am

I'm in GMT 0 right now and haven't had to wait longer than two minutes. I'm not trying to say the problem doesn't exist, but I just haven't experienced it yet. I play 400AP games only. I have even seen Soul Collector talking in the chat while I've been on. Maybe it's because my record isn't all that great and their are more people like me around. I don't know.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Deep Blue

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 am

same here, 2 - 3 min max. I think it might be connected to you disconnecting as the server flags you as "leaver"
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

SoulCollector

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 8:36 am

Deep Blue wrote:same here, 2 - 3 min max. I think it might be connected to you disconnecting as the server flags you as "leaver"

Could be, but isn't the "leaver" system in place to prevent exactly what is does not? from people to leave a match after they see who their opponent is. In this case not even the first window telling me there is a game available and to press ok shows up, nothings shows up, just the clock running. Also if a disconnection is the reason for such a thing , shouldn't the system be a little more forgiving to those of us who share an internet connection with other people? for sure im not the only one seeing this kind of problems with launching games i can think of 8-10 people that have told me they have the same problem in chat, and those are the people that actually stay and keep trying, god knows how many people would just stop trying and wont come back.

You may be right thought, i have seen people around me getting games when im just watching the timer and getting nothing.

Hopefully this is just something that can be easily fixed, because like i said this is the only game i have seen (that has no "energy" bs) that prevents me from playing it.

Deep Blue

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 9:04 am

SoulCollector wrote:
Deep Blue wrote:same here, 2 - 3 min max. I think it might be connected to you disconnecting as the server flags you as "leaver"

Could be, but isn't the "leaver" system in place to prevent exactly what is does not? from people to leave a match after they see who their opponent is. In this case not even the first window telling me there is a game available and to press ok shows up, nothings shows up, just the clock running. Also if a disconnection is the reason for such a thing , shouldn't the system be a little more forgiving to those of us who share an internet connection with other people? for sure im not the only one seeing this kind of problems with launching games i can think of 8-10 people that have told me they have the same problem in chat, and those are the people that actually stay and keep trying, god knows how many people would just stop trying and wont come back.

You may be right thought, i have seen people around me getting games when im just watching the timer and getting nothing.

Hopefully this is just something that can be easily fixed, because like i said this is the only game i have seen (that has no "energy" bs) that prevents me from playing it.

i had a similar issue pre-patch where my ELO was too high to find a game within a reasonable time. I think the leaver "debuff" appears when you disconnect from a match, regardless of the time it happens. I'm not sure if now disconnecting from a match provides a loss to the player who did it (pre-patch it wasn't the case).
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Bousk

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 am

Hi,

depending on your timezone and your playtime, and your player statistics (guild level, ...), there can be no matching opponent, especially in 250AP bracket.
It's not about preventing you to play, it's just impossible to create an opponent which does not exist.
There are hundreds of players simultaneously connected all day long, mostly from USA and western Europe, thousands of games a day, and you should find more games with the 400AP bracket, as the 250AP bracket is mainly played by new players, much lower level than yours. So they match each other faster than they could match you.

Fiability is decreased when you disconnect from a game. Mainly in case of connection issue or Alt-F4. Game is considered launched for the fiability system as soon as you're in the adjustment screen.
In that case, you're flagged as a "Leaver", which rewards as much as "Looser" status, and your opponent is "Winner".
Fiability is not decreased if you concede the game btw.
Dogs of War Online - Dev Team

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 11:17 am

EDIT : Ninja'd by Bousk. But we're on the same page :)

Your fiability score shouldn't prevent games to be found more than a mere minutes. Certainly not hours.
Fiability is here mostly to match "leavers" with other "leavers", in order to spare detrimental experiences for the others players.
Of course, "Conceding" a game with the menu option will never hit your fiability (killing the game with alt-F4 or killing the process, will, however).

And because we are looking into this right now, I can tell you that your fiability is perfectly fine (in fact, you're in the higher bracket, so it does not matter here).

So, I fear that maybe you might fall in many (or most) of those categories :
- You are playing in the "beginner" bracket
- You might have a high Guild Rank
- You might have a high ELO score
> For those last 2 points... well, of course we know exactly what your Guild Rank and ELO numbers are, but I will not display them here for all to see. But I think you too have a rough idea of where you are, compared to a newcomer.
- Because you are searching in the lowest bracket, other players like newcomers might be finding someone more appropriate to play with before you can match them, most of the time. To be honest, that is pretty fair - a newcomer matched against you would stand no chance. What is not fair, is that you do not find any game.
We are currently working on something in the matchmaking formula that might fix this for good, but it won't be "easy"; and maybe not even hit the next patch, depending of the amount of work it might involve.
- Timezone problem. I don't know where you live, but this could have a huge impact on your success to find opponents.
Based on the times I saw you chatting in the lobby, I can safely say that if I was a "simple" DOWO player and not a dev of the game, we would never meet, because I usually play much later in the day than you.
And I'm living in the GMT+1 zone (as maybe you might have guessed).
If you happen to fall in-between the european and the US "busy hours", it might be detrimental in your ability to find people. But then again, we are working on something to fix this very problem.

I will add that Steam users experienced some issues recently, as it was not possible to connect to it (yesterday was the worst).
We also found some discrepancies between our "searches without opponent" and "found games" numbers in the last few days, and we are looking into it. This might be caused by many factors. A bug might be involved, though it is not likely in our opinion.

In the meantime, might I suggest that you try to play some 400 AP games?
I have the feeling that you might find many more opponents, much faster than with the 250 AP bracket.
Dogs of War Online - Game Designer

SoulCollector

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for the answers guys. OK, i will try the 400 AP but let me say a few things why i dont like the 400 AP bracket much.

When i started the game I and pretty much everyone were playing on the 200 AP bracket, is not about fighting new players is about the speed of the matchs, some matchs can last 15 minutes or less I just honestly love this games, they are also not really recorded so I don't really care if I win or lose, I don't know, call it a personal thing maybe. I know I'm around the game a lot but if you look at my numbers I'm not playing as much as I'm chatting the reason for this is that I seriously can't be glued to the screen of the comp for 35-45 minutes some times even 1 hour without having to step up and have to do something else for a few minutes. With the 200 AP games I hardly ever see an interruption from my life into my turns, on the 400 AP game I almost always lose a turn or two due to me having to do something in the middle of the match, usually those lost turns will cost me the match.

If there was some sort of system in place where i can ask for a pause to the other player or something to wait me for some minutes, i don't know, on table top games like this one you have the guy in front of you and if the phone is ringing you just ask him to wait a minute and then continue the match.

The other thing is, for how long a player is considere a new player in this game, i sure as hell wasn't a new player anymore after the 2nd day, I'm not using impposible high level units or legendaries to play in 250 bracket due to the fact that i dont want to scare new players, maybe new players need a specific bracket for them only where they can play the first few days, for me the 250 AP bracket is the one i like best for the fast matchs that is all, and i would like to continue playing the game in a bracket such as that with the few other people that like to do the same.

again thanks a lot for reading and giving me a fast answer to my problem.

Lima

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Whoever is responsible for keeping Soul in the queue I have only one thing to say:

Thank you, chat would not be the same without him. :)
Next

Return to General Forum