It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am

Pre-Patch and Now

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Zendabo82

Re: Pre-Patch and Now

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Deep Blue wrote:i think skeleton warriors with hardboiled are ok...you are paying the right price for a unit that NEVER parries or dodges unless very lucky. It just soaks damage and the damage can be ignored by non-basic units. Ram needs "fat" meat walls.

I still laugh at the irony of my skeleies being "Meat" Walls. Real nice "Meat" Shield if you ask me.

skydancer

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Imo the big problem of this game is the lack of "deep strategy involved".
Everything is soo streamlined and soo simple. I would like a more complex and deep game, like aarklash legacy with more skill aviable etc...

It's just a kid game right now, you just had to employ the death list of the moment and nothing more as discover the unbalance is soo simple and soo boring to use. After many hours on this game i think i'll come back in 3-6 months to see if this game change into something more intresting.
~ work in progress ~

Almanro

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 4:14 am

Zendabo82 wrote:I can't say whether the Lion or Wolf are balanced right now, all I can say is that Ram is balanced.

You can't say that one army is "balanced" without considering the other two! Since you're going to play against them, the fact you found different compositions of a single army that always works against other armies is more a sign that the balance is not present than the opposite! Moreover:

Zendabo82 wrote:I do not believe that Skeletons are too strong. They cannot dodge most shots, they will NEVER parry an attack from even an average ACC unit, and they have just as bad of accuracy as the archers. Their only real purpose is as a wall, and if that is taken away, you might as well remove them. Yes they are cheap, but that is a key feature, because otherwise it would be a no brainer between a Skull or several Skeleton. Currently, you can either get 3 hardboiled skeletons or 1 lvl 1 skull warrior. The skull can't wall as well but can do many times more damage. If the prices were increased, it would be hard to justify 2 hardboiled skeletons for 1 skull. The Skull would be able to do everything the skeletons can but also able to damage. As I said when outlining my thoughts on the Ram balance (and only Ram, since I don't have experience using the other faction), it is a choice between having a bigger wall or dealing more damage.

Why then I always see about 4-5 Skeleton warriors and almost never a Skull in all the top players armies? That's because a single Skull warrior lvl1 can't be a good wall (you can go easily around him), you can sourround an enemy unit with the 3 Skeleton obtaining good bonuses to hit&dodge, you can do 3 attacks x 8 dam each (total 24, considering one miss is still 16) against a single attack of 15 dam, the total hit points of the Skull are 40 instead of 120 WITH THE SAME RES! To me they don't seem so balanced atm...

In general, you can see if one army after a patch got a big advantage simply looking at the top ladder: in the top 16 players atm there are 11 Ram players, 5 Wolfen and 1 Lion and if you look at the win/loss rates, you'll see that the Acheron as a big advantage respect to all its competitors (and probably the majority of the defeats of the acheron players are from games against other Acheron players!)

My point is not to discuss the ability of the players that got in the top ladder (I can only say congratulation to them to be able to get to the top! :) ), more to highlight the fact that almost all of them are playing Acheron atm and this should help to notice that the general game balance is still not there.

Deep Blue

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 9:12 am

skeleton warrios being the reason for ram's topping the ladder is a bit harsh. You cannot really compare 3 skel warriors vs 1 skull (lvl 1 is rubbish and should have lower AP so here i agree).

the difference is that skeleton warriors in general do not require a specific build to fit in (beside martyr) which makes them good as filler role for any army (with or without a specific tactic). Skull warriors are more of a "build around me" unit as they need support. Is like measuring the mage's power without considering the 3 sparklings that back him up.

oh and if i've to choose instead of skull/skeleton warriors i would always pick the gargoyle :)
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/
Previous

Return to General Forum