It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 am

Opinions of Invisible Walls

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Hod

Opinions of Invisible Walls

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 1:47 pm

I just wanted to see what everyone felt about the new Invisible Walls around the maps.

My Opinion:

They got to go. I spent half of my turn trying to figure out where I could or couldn't go, since the terrain gives no indication anymore. The levels also feel tiny now, with tight little corridors to move around in (even though there's space everywhere). In my opinion, invisible walls were a tactic games used back in the day when they didn't have the memory capabilities to put enough stuff in the world to block the player from going place. Like plaid, it should have died with the 90s.

I'm assuming this was an attempt to stop the flee draw and/or the castling yourself in the corner (which it's only helped). If that is true, this is not the way to do that, don't cripple the game (visually and strategically) to stop a tactic. It may just be my opinion, but when I see invisible walls, I think unprofessional. Especially when we all know they weren't there before - or needed.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Fightdude

Re: Opinions of Invisible Walls

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 pm

I 100% agree. Coming from a tabletop minis background, I can't stress enough how a clear understanding of terrain is imperative to the players having fun. There's nothing worse than wasting an activation just because you didn't realize you were marching your unit down a dead end.

The best solution I can think of is a button to highlight open, difficult, and impassable terrain. Something like the shift key would be good for this.

Balanced strategy can only happen if both players are aware of the situation.

Return to General Forum