It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 am

How to kill a game with one patch

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Lima

How to kill a game with one patch

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 pm

I can only speak for lion but this is how:

1- You turn the game from a strategy based game where players position their pieces in anticipation of the match to a game where all the units start next to each other and important units can be taken out in one turn before they are even activated.

2- You take the faction whose strengths are healing and going first most of the times, and you rob both of those advantages from them (no point going first if you cant position your pieces before the enemy can sprint to you and throw your plans down the drain).

3- You take the most powerful unit in the game (golem) and you give it a 50% chance to resist all spells for much less than 300AP. And you remove any chance of killing him by nerfing the only skill that could take him down (seal of dellar)

4- You biasely kill off a facet of the game instead of nerfing it (mega mage setup with sparks not really based on chance but on positioning)to encourage another type of play method which is chance based (archers).

Please carry on...

This was a fun game, a game that required intelligence, calmness, and strategy and you turned it into a idiots haven where now luck is what determines victory most of the time. If I cant set up my game how the hell am I supposed to do better than a gung ho moron that sprints all his pieces towards me?

That King of the hill map has the most ridiculous deploying I could've imagined. Did you actually test this before putting it up because if so someone needs to lose his job.

The only thing left to ask is when is the next patch due so that I can then return to DoW the turn based STRATEGY game.

Hod

Re: How to kill a game with one patch

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm

I haven't played the new patch yet, but loosing a unit before you even activate him once his pretty tough. I agree that deployment zones too close to each other sounds like it would take away some of the fun of it all.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 pm

Maps are definitely the worst idea... its terrible so much terrible that makes game unplayable and blocks any reasonable tests and comparasment.
Not only because of distances but also because invisible walls all over the map making them the size of ancient battlefield.

ubernerf of mage and sparklings is also bad but not such terrible... simply wrong... same as Valkyrie nerf without making her much cheaper.

and making golem so much chaper is also wrong as hell...

only interesting part is new swordsman skill buts its hell weird... thre was many options to make them even more usefull without something such weird.

as for wolfens - new crossbowman price will only replace them with lonewolfs with rage... lonewolfs that they are best healers ingame now.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deathalus

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 am

isn't it a little too early to judge?

I mean, ok, being close is bad if you have a fragile lineup, but it also has a positive impact because now the "19270 crossbow catch me if you can before being already dead" strategy is gonna be hurt as well and that was a comp that a lot of people were complaining about. and maybe there are other things that eventually happen to have a good impact under certain point of view. Nobody ever likes nerfs anyways XD

I think we should try out the new patch with new strategies for a few days and then give a proper feedback with more data. :)

Dragon_Warrior

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 12:44 am

isn't it a little too early to judge?

but after just few games I really don't want to go deeper into current 'meta' and game style...
before it was better or worse but i had motivation to play and test... now i'm thrown away.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Zeveross

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 am

Deathalus wrote:isn't it a little too early to judge?

No, it's not. The deployment changes were completely idiotic and really do destroy a whole style of play. I understand that they wanted to speed gameplay up but this is NOT the solution.

Guitarx

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 am

I agree with OP. What the hell is this? The bottleneck, invisible walls maps shove all the strategy down the tube. Arrows scatter into six guys because there is nowhere to deploy. If you want to cut down on the flee-to-draw meta, this is not the way. Draw should go to team with more living AP. Can't see another reason for this crap. I also feel this game's balance is slipping completely out of whack with more Lion nerfs. First release felt most balanced imho.

I will be back to this game when there are real changes. Until then, you can have all your cyans and ducats back.

p122ab0y

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 3:29 am

I was a Lion player and I agree. I think the patch is a big step backwards. In my opnion the game prior to the patch felt more balanced.

p122ab0y

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 4:02 am

I also want to add in regards to healing. As Lima pointed out healing was lion's greatest strength. But now it's so garbage there's really no point to utilizing heals. Nerfs to Sparkling is self explanatory (I probably wouldnt argue with reducing heal value but to remove the ability to heal eachother also greatly undermine sparkling's devotion as the trade off is a permanent -10 to hp).

Also regarding the valkary's regen skill. Not only does it no longer provide immediate benefit of +5hp, it now only heals for a total of +10hp. The text says target unit gains regeneration for 3 turns. This is true but very misleading. Regeneration kicks in starting the next turn for two turns for a total of heal of 10.

To reiterate my personal frustration, I've invested over 100 hours playing ONLY lion. I've spent over 50 Cyan (for company slots) and over 50k ducat on my company (Purchased a chimera before the patch announcement..FML). My investment went to complete waste in one patch.

Errol Flynn

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 8:10 am

This is why I got quite angry when I saw the patch notes. For me the game was pretty balanced, they were talking about nerfing the human mega-mage build which I thought was probably fair enough. They also talked about reducing the overall harassment potential for Wolfen which I also thought was fair enough. Then I see the patch notes and went 'where the fuck did all these changes come from?' How has something I thought was pretty balanced attracted so many changes?
R.I.P: Sparklings, it was not your fault you just got blamed for what the mage did. You will always be in my heart, even if I cannot justify putting you in my company.
Open Beta Player. World Champion Coin Tosser.
Next

Return to General Forum