It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

How to kill a game with one patch

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

isgFaceless

Re: How to kill a game with one patch

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Hod wrote:I am glad to hear the invisible walls are not a permanent fixture. As the the deployment zone, I haven't played all the matches yet, but if as long as there are certain deployment zones that you know the enemy will not be in contact with, then it's find (i.e. if you put your units in a deployment zone in the center of the map, you shouldn't be surprised if the enemy units are there to. But if you deploy your units at the back of the map, then the enemy shouldn't be able to be right there next to you).

This. I also found that most maps allow both players to place their units in or near the center of the map, but there are also deployment zones near the back of the maps as well. If you don't wish to engage first, place units in back. I usually place a tank or 2 in the center so get some enemy units engaged while I fire with bowmen from the back. There are all sorts of strategies and tactics, you just have to play around to find them instead of following the meta.
"I drink the bottle marked POISON on the off-chance that it's the extra-healing potion."

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm

im really curious how far from enemy you can start on map made from center old king of the hill ;P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

isgFaceless

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:im really curious how far from enemy you can start on map made from center old king of the hill ;P

I haven't played King of the Hill since the patch so I have no input here :P
"I drink the bottle marked POISON on the off-chance that it's the extra-healing potion."

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 5:36 pm

it was deatchmatch but on old KotH map
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Ok I can't comment much because I'm away from office since the beginning of the week, but I just wanted to remind something important (until the next patch) : all maps in your games are symetrical as of right now.

We had a lot of asymetrical maps but we chose not to put them in the game because of that feedback problem.

Anyway... what it means it that you can "see" where the opponent will be, because it's the exact opposite of where you can deploy.
For example, if you can put one unit behind the enemy lines, it means that they can do that, too, behind yours.

I hope this advice will help make things easier and less "random" for you until the opponents' deployment zones are displayed correctly.
Dogs of War Online - Game Designer

Dragon_Warrior

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 6:53 pm

I hope this advice will help make things easier and less "random" for you until the opponents' deployment zones are displayed correctly.

But its not random because i totally don't knew where he is able to place units...

its random in term - he can put his units (in charge range) on left or right - same as me... before starting point was only opening for longer tactic with option to reorganize whole company against enemy opening.

Hod

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 7:08 pm

I had no idea asymmetrical deployment zones was an issue. It never bothered me. I knew they weren't the same, but we both had around the same options: back corners, behind cover, out in the open. Personally I wouldn't bend over backwards for symmetry when it comes to deployment zones, just equal and fair.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Almanro

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 12:03 am

Hi all!

I finally had the time to play a bit today and my opinion is more positive respect to the other ones you may find in this discussion. I think that there have been some improvements respect to previous versions and I especially like the new idea of a deployment not so static as before, however the invisible walls and the very tiny maps must be completely eliminated, but it seems also the developers agree on this point (i.e., I have played with and against Lions, Ram and Wolfen and I noticed that many compositions now are with a lot of base units (especially Lion or Ram archers) so that they can block the paths in the tiny maps and then make waste from behind the obstacles. It's the apotheosis of the Turtle Formations since you can see/attack the enemy from your starting positions!!! :) )

Regarding the AP cost of the various units, I still think the Sparklings were nerfed too much (I would change back one of the nerf, e.g. the AP cost or the possibility to heal other Sparklings), while the Golem should be about 10-20 AP higher and the PoB another 10-15 AP lower, but this is just a first impression (about 10 matches). I didn't have the opportunity to play against the Worg and the Chimera, so I can't say anything on them.

In general, it has been however very difficult to properly evaluate this patch, since the "Invisible Walls" and "Tiny Maps" problems caused more than half of the matches to be concluded like the "Old Battle Field" map: a rush against the enemy Turtle Formation! It will be always better in the future to avoid to implement maps so tiny that the troop dispositions can allow to target and kill your enemy before it can even move.

Finally, I continue to highlight that an item to reset the unit abilities would be very helpful to try different abilities and that the correct way to solve the problem of units running around the map for a Draw is not implementing "Invisible Walls" or "Tiny Maps", but more adding a "Draw" buttons for both players to ask for a draw or evaluating the AP remaining at the end of the match (scaled with the units remaining HPs)

Have a nice evening,

Almanro
Previous

Return to General Forum