It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

The injury system today

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Deathalus

Re: The injury system today

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 3:05 am

to be honest I thnk that injuries could and should be used in a diffedent way to give extra coolnes to the game or the the singe mercenary:

lets say that the injury is just temporary, it lasts 24 h unles it is critical/coma. when the healing time is done, the unit is gonna have a "scar" or something like s "scar point: get 10 points, get a scar". that scar might give to the unit a slight advantage. nothing major. something lke +3% fear chance or something similar. It has to be REALLY SLIGHT and LiMITED IN NUMBER bu it might have some interesting sides.
Having an injuried mercenary can, now, be treated in 2 ways: 1 heal him with and getting rid of the negative stats, waiting for him to recover naturally loosing time (or laying with some maluses) but gaining those slight advantages later that can eventually give a a lot of charm to the character himself (an angry skull warrior with a scar on his eye sounds really cool to me).
And here comes a strange idea: what if we make healing cards delete all/some of the previous scars and their bonuses? we now have some experienced mercenaries with tones of scars that actually will not want to heal to keep teyr stats high and in this way having a defeat comes with the wounds that I think is cool for a warrior to show but this is not too punishing because it actually is only a temporary damage or malus.

since now you are not forced to heal anybody, it should no longer feel like a total annoyance but a choice you make!

tl;dr : give injuries a heal time (24H) and if the player choose to wait reward him with slight bonuses on the wounded characters: It should feel less punishing and more like a choice and a good chance to gain some extra coolnes/power

Thecyclone

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 4:10 am

So I'm new to this game and I completely understand that the dev's need to make money, and completely love the fact that this game isn't P2W but is instead just helps to pay.

With that said I fear that the injury system is something that could be annoying, I got my first one on a character today and all that is wrong with him is a crushed hand, which I'm like fine I'll spend a heal card and fix that right up, but NOPE they want 4 stupid heal cards to fix a stupid crushed hand.

Anyways I hope something is addressed with that, otherwise love this game, keep up the good work team.

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 12:07 pm

With that said I fear that the injury system is something that could be annoying, I got my first one on a character today and all that is wrong with him is a crushed hand, which I'm like fine I'll spend a heal card and fix that right up, but NOPE they want 4 stupid heal cards to fix a stupid crushed hand.

But you must knew that 4 healing cards is really not much - especialy in mid or latter game (a weak after starting a game can be called mid i think). Considering the fact that you can surrender in already lost games (without risk of more units having chance to get injured), fact that low lev units are mostly healed by 1-2 cards and fact that you can get 500+ from victory and 200+ from each mission (and sometimes much more) - you can really both gather ducats and still keep your company without negative wounds.

So IMO the two main reasons to keep wounds are:

- Motivation for surrender in already lost games - that makes many games faster
- They are something that let player have small 'connection' to his company... Really small element that reminds a player that this is something more that simple Vs game .
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:
- Motivation for surrender in already lost games - that makes many games faster
- They are something that let player have small 'connection' to his company... Really small element that reminds a player that this is something more that simple Vs game .

well the first one marginally helps...but i believe i would concede regardless of that as both players are wasting time if the victory is clear. I guess nobody likes to see his army fall apart turn after turn and they would rather move to a new game. So imo is not a big plus for having injuries.

the second...what kind of connection you have to your company if you heal the injuries? personally i do not get that or have this feeling. The connection is made once you have:

- named your mercenaries / customized them
- have a statistic for each of them

for sure not by healing them.

if they want to make money there are better ways...just to name a few:

- create weekly tournaments accessible only via tickets which can be obtained via cyans or money (so it is a CHOICE the player does on his own will)
-create talent reset scroll
-create re-naming scrolls for your company

as i said, my gut feeling is that the injury system is making really poor money for cyanide, affecting the game (better having low lvl units) and the players (getting scared of it). Injury cards are made only to harass low level players as the high level ones can heal whatever they want without caring at ALL. Remove the injury system and lower the ducats gained is the best way in my opinion. Ie: if now i obtain 2k ducats per day and i usually spend 500 of healing, just make me get 1500 ducats per day at the cost of not using any healing cards. There problem solved.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 5:36 pm

as i said, my gut feeling is that the injury system is making really poor money for cyanide,

i think its not about the money and to be honest whole mission system would be broken if the wounds dissapear.

well the first one marginally helps...but i believe i would concede regardless of that as both players are wasting time if the victory is clear.

IMO currently its all betwen beliving miacle that let win (ultra luck or enemy disconect) ale chances for wounds for units that still stands.

To be honest in 0.10 i surrender many more times than now - because of cheaper healing ;)

for sure not by healing them.

imo wounds still are part of unit personalization ;)
simply there sould be more neutral wounds (like the war scar) some of them with negative names only.
+ titles (for tournaments for example) or heads/decals/ would be also
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:i think its not about the money and to be honest whole mission system would be broken if the wounds dissapear.

why broken? i still have to get an injury out of that system and i quest more or less every day! i think the percentage of having an injury via quest is VERY low (3% or 10% are the highest, minus the suicide mission with 100% coma). So maybe is just me being super lucky or you having bad luck. I guess removing them won't affect the missions anyway...and they could always lower the ducats you earn to balance the fact you have no injuries as i said before.

Also...it is about the money because Cyanide is not a philanthropic organization and has to be supported by the customers in order to create a better game. My suggestion takes into consideration also this aspects as it would be a win-win situation getting rid of that system. Potentially they could have more players , more high level units purchases (no "extra" tax connected to high level injuries) and less zerg based metagame. As i said this might be feasible especially if their current revenue from the healing cards is almost zero so that they could get rid of this system as it is non profitable.

who of you ever bought healing cards for real cash? high renown players for sure won't. Low level renown players...maybe unless they get angry or grind their way to obtain them.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

A-r-c-h-o-n

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:15 am

I just stop by to make one short comment: I don't like all the new f2p-Buisness model. But i tried this game here and think its very promising. IF they would have decided to sell it at (whatever 50€), it would have been an instant buy.

I thought about paying to get some units, but when i read about this injury-system - that's it. I'm out here. It's really a shame, that this f2p-bulls... ruins great games. :(

PS: This post is only to honor the game-designers (not the businesses-desicions) and the developers to say that they did a great job and it was their managers who will probably stop this game from being successful.

Hod

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 am

My personal opinion on many of the aspects of this game that get discussed a lot are that the Devs should follow the model or real table top games. I don't know of a single one where injuries from one match go into the next match.

I know this isn't a physical table top game (and is going to have to change some things), but it's following that model much more than most video games. Table top games have had many years to prefect the system, so why not follow it as closely as they can.
Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Useful links:
Mirror 1 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.co.nf/
Mirror 2 AP army calculator (by Hod): http://www.dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 am

Dogs of War was a campaign mode to Confrontation

and in campaign modes - wounds and dying - sometimes are present. While i totally forgot how it worked in DoW ;)
Previous

Return to General Forum