It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

Wolfen So OP

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

StratRat

Wolfen So OP

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 am

Im an undead player and no matter what I choose to bring in games the wolfen just run over all my guys so easily. I have played game after game and tried all sorts of diff units nothing works. The wolfen units just do so much damage, move way to far, and have good defense for the cost.

The necromancer is completely useless if a wolfen mage uses the lvl 3 spell that stops all spells in 8 hexs

The gargoyle can be slain in 1 turn by one guy and dies for sure by turn 2 every time.

The priest is just completely useless with useless abilities, almost never want to teleport a wolfen in the middle of your horde cause he can actually fight his way out and get to your more squishy guys your protecting. Not to mention to bring level up the priest so he gets some useful spells hes got to be near maxed and costs way to much.

The regular bone soldiers rarely can even land a hit on any wolfen as they parry everything. If you put guys near a mage or archer or anything to keep them from just running at your squishys it doesn't work because they almost never land a hit when the enemy leaves engagement.

Black paladins are about the only thing that even has a chance to fight one with out dying in 2 turns or 1 turn and they cost so much its not fair.

All I see the higher AP battles I go is more and more Wolfen players and less and less anything else the more wolfen you get out on the field the more ridiculous and evident their OPness becomes.

Vahire

Re: Wolfen So OP

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 11:58 am

Yeah but dont worry,they will nerf the black paladin :lol:

Deep Blue

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

Wolven right now are indeed strong and will be handled by the devs...other than that i can give you some tips as a long time ram player that can help you fight them.

- Overwhelm them with the skeleton warriors/puppets: undeads win by encircling them. Any wolven surrounded by 3+ units is dead meat.
- Use 3+ skeleton archers lvl 1. Not need to level them as they do enough damage vs any commonly used wolven.
- Protect your necros, especially if nukers with death wave by surrounding them with your units / blocking chocke points
- Gargoyles are very effective as they deal lot of damage + usually fear them. Attack with a gargoyle ONLY when the wolven is surrounded so that hitting the gargoyle becomes MUCH harder. Sneak attack is also very good from my experience.
- Avoid to use skull warrios as in the end you might be overwhelmed by the wolven instead. Right now they are not worth the AP
- The priest is good but only at lvl 4-5 and with a RIGHT setup (martyr / loyal paladins). If you dont plan to use them, avoid it. Again, a priest with 6 faith + 3 dam bonus can oneshot almost any wolven everyturn.
- Black paladins are a pain in the ass -> occult erosion blocks the lonewolf's base attack + it has a nice fear value (especially with the honor of the black paladin). Exausting touch and Somatic transfer are both good to deal with wolven. The choice imo is between a pala lvl 2 and 1 lvl 4 or 5.
- Skeleton warriors with hardboiled are actually very annoying for wolven.
- Flesh golem will make you win vs any melee based wolven company...or make you a draw.

as the most important tip: do not attack them every turn if you have a low hit percentage. Often passing the activation without attacking is more beneficial.

@the black paladin nerf: they won't be nerfed. They will just be put in line as every warrior-monk/mage. Occult erosion and exausting touch had to be fixed. They will still be very powerful especially as the honor of the black paladins will make a new fear roll.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 1:05 pm

:lol:

@the black paladin nerf: they won't be nerfed. They will just be put in line as every warrior-monk/mage. Occult erosion and exausting touch had to be fixed. They will still be very powerful especially as the honor of the black paladins will make a new fear roll.

but it this fix isn't nerf - than what you can call a nerf ? :P

But lets hope that proces of fixing units will be much more complex than changing paladin spells alone ;)
and mayby it will get something new or even a stat change ;)
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Dragon_Warrior wrote:

:lol:

but it this fix isn't nerf - than what you can call a nerf ? :P

But lets hope that proces of fixing units will be much more complex than changing paladin spells alone ;)
and mayby it will get something new or even a stat change ;)

first, calling it a nerf is a bit too drastic as we don't know the complete patch notes. I call it "fix" as occult erosion/exausting touch are simply put in line with the other mechanics and "until the end of the game" debuffs aren't very fun. Warrior-monks/mages deserve less mobility as harassment stance needed it. At the end of the day this would be a nerf more for wolven than palas.

Useful links:

Vahire

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 4:17 pm

For me the main issue with wolfmen,other than the dumb harrass from archer and war-monk,is their stats and the fact that they have more mobility AND double attack.So ok they cost more ap but this is srsly not enought,especially for the archer.

I just played a game with 3 of them(against the current #1 of the ladder,he was 19-4) and this is just stupid how easy it is.You dont need tactic,stategy or anything,you can even afford to do mistake and still get away out,and deal your damage with a good accuracy.I dont even play wolfmen but i still manage to win cuz i had 3 lvl 2 archers and he only had 2 lvl 3.

Deep Blue

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Vahire wrote:For me the main issue with wolfmen,other than the dumb harrass from archer and war-monk,is their stats and the fact that they have more mobility AND double attack.So ok they cost more ap but this is srsly not enought,especially for the archer.

I just played a game with 3 of them(against the current #1 of the ladder,he was 19-4) and this is just stupid how easy it is.You dont need tactic,stategy or anything,you can even afford to do mistake and still get away out,and deal your damage with a good accuracy.I dont even play wolfmen but i still manage to win cuz i had 3 lvl 2 archers and he only had 2 lvl 3.

they are not really unbeatable...but their balance is quite complicated. Yesterday i faced one guy with a PoB + grave guardian + wolven hunter vs my ram (which has a total of 10 units!). I think the match ended with me losing only 1 skeleton warrior. If all wolven player would try to go for quality over quantity we would hear so many complains about ram being OP :D

Useful links:

Vahire

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 pm

i dont say their are unbeatable but the archers and war-monk are quite op.I play my ram with 9 units and do pretty good with it.Simply,after about 150 games playing ram it feel much harder to win with them than with wolfmen with which i did not even played 10 games.

I just hope they nerf the zerg meta first,balance the ap cost of elits,do something about the engagement/disengagement thing that allow you to run around an unit for free or leave the fight easily(doesnt reward at all the risk of rushing an ennemy unit),nerf the heal from lion,nerf the pala(would be too strong in a non zerg meta) and the easy harras from wolfmen archers and war-monk.

There is also some up to make with the ram priest,the wolfmen hunter and the lion.

And the king of the hill map is just bad for death match.Acheron map may provide a bit too much cover but with the 3 or 4 acher current meta it's not that bad.

Something that need to be fix too for me is the % chance to hit.I feel like there is something wrong and the numbers doest show what reeally happen.Missing a 100% hit should never ever happen,missing 2 95% hit in a row either.Thoses thing make strategys less important,cuz you can loose/kill an unit with an amazing lucky roll.

Serdak

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Vahire wrote:Something that need to be fix too for me is the % chance to hit.I feel like there is something wrong and the numbers doest show what reeally happen.Missing a 100% hit should never ever happen,missing 2 95% hit in a row either.Thoses thing make strategys less important,cuz you can loose/kill an unit with an amazing lucky roll.

There will always be amazing lucky rolls. Sometimes you will do everything right, and still lose. It happens. Fortunately games do not take long and you don't need a perfect record.

My guess is that the devs decided against Confrontation-style damage rolls specifically to limit the impact of luck.

StratRat

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 pm

well all I know is I can get a wolfen archer alone in the back of the map and stick a Gargoyle with full health right next to him and the stupid wolfen archer might still kill my gargoyle by just simply walking away and shooting me with nature buff or not using nature buff same thing.

Something needs to be done about the disengagement because right now for undead wolfen just ignore that you have them surrounded and walk through and past your units like they arnt there
Next

Return to General Forum