It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

PvP is broken and stupid...

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

deathx113

PvP is broken and stupid...

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 7:13 am

Just got into the game, maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway it was my 2 werewolves against 3 skeletons, they had 2 archers and 1 warrior.

Already I'm upset the game made it a 2v3, but w/e... I figure maybe my warrior is a little stronger than the enemy warrior skeleton.

His skeleton walks up to mine, doesn't attack me, it is now my turn. I attack him and miss, he parries and does half my health. It is now his turn, he kills my werewolf warrior, then gets a 2nd turn for killing him, walks over to my archer and does 90% of his health.

I just pass my turn and let him kill me at that point.

Idk if skeletons are just broken or if pvp is broken or what, but he literally 1v2'd me, didn't even need his 2 archers.

Someone want to shed some light on this crap? Because I'm about done with the game at this point.

ps. I didn't expect to win, but I would have liked a fair fight.

Almanro

Re: PvP is broken and stupid...

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 7:37 am

Which were your units (exact names)? How many APs did you have in total?

It seems you got a frontal with a Skull Warrior, it is the only skeleton that can do so many damages with a hit (it is the elite of the Acheron Army). Probably, when he came near your unit without attacking, he also used "Defensive Stance" which gives +4 DEF (but one attack less) and it is highlighted in the game with a blue circle around the unit. It is not wise to attack a unit that is in defensive stance: easy to miss and then be wounded by the free attack. Then he probably used the "Offensive Stance" (one more attack, DEF 0 till next activation) to do two attacks and so killing your unit.

Probably you also make some beginner mistakes (it's perfectly normal), since you put your archer too near your other unit, so that he could charge you directly after killing the first one.

Try to do (or redo) the tutorials and the train missions before doing the PvP because it seems you missed different things in the game mechanics.

PS: The battles under 400AP are not considered in the ranking and are useful to learn the game dynamics. Don't give up at the first obstacle! :)

deathx113

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 8:21 am

Thanks for the help but I'm done.

Played 2 more games and they were literally unwinable.

Went against a necromancer who blocked himself off with his other 2 units... I could either pass my turns and let him endlessly send units at me or go at him and die...

Next game I go against someone with my exact units.

Our exact same warriors are standing next to each other. I go into offense mode, hit him twice and he counter attacks once. He then goes into offensive mode, hits me 3 times and I don't counter once. I die.

I surrender because screw that.

I'm done with this game. It was neat for the minute but it's much too broken for me.

Deep Blue

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 12:31 pm

i guess you are a bit too fast with your judgements. As a general view: this is the problem of making 200 AP matches for new players. You have too few units and too little tactical impact, leaving the impresion that game is all about luck (which is not). 200 AP should be eliminated and the beginning bracket should be 300.

Other than that let me point out your mistakes, which are due to your inability to understand the mechanics of the game (but it is ok as everybody was a beginner). So let me help you.

-Offensive stance as a general rule should be used ONLY when you are VERY sure that you can deal lot of damage without the risk of getting killed the next turn. Using offensive stance without killing a unit, especially if the unit who used it is an elite (facing another elite) is DUMB. Why? because he can go back to offensive stance and hit you 3 times (i assume it was the Predator of blood or grave guardian) and it can hit you with a 100% probability without ANY counterattacks from your side. He basically hit you 4 times at 100% while you couldn't because at the moment he wasn't in offensive stance and you put him in a position of doing that.

-The necromancer...so 1 necromancer blocked himself with his puppets...ok...then how can he send them to you? if he does that then he is without the "puppet" shield. Best thing is wait for the puppets to be within your damage range so you kill them + pursuit movement on the necro. You also have 6 MOV compared to the 3 MOV of the puppets so you can kite them all day long if this is your issue. Again, your tactical mistake.

-against the skull warrior + 2 archers: wolven are supposed to be in a numerical disadvantage as they cost more AP and they lot more of damage. Skull warriors are very tough to beat as they fear and have a nice melee damage. You should have focused the archer first and then surrounded the skeleton warrior...be aware that hitting him just because you can might be silly if the success percentage is about 30-40% or lower as you might end up eating his strong attack and doing 0 damage. In this case you either could play better focusing the archers / kiting the skull warrior and then surrounding it or realize that a company should be balanced and full melee isn't always a viable option as you have a little flexibility.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

thetang22

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 4:46 pm

I agree with Deep Blue on pretty much all points. It's not a matter of "PVP is broken and stupid"....it sounds like you were using very poor strategy/tactics.

The constructive reaction to your results would be to ask yourself "why did I lose?" Deep Blue explained it very well. Games like these are built for people who like strategy. You can't always just bum-rush your opponents without considering the consequences, and then get pissed off because your strategy failed. If it failed, it likely means YOU need to change something about the way you played the match.

There are any number of variables that determine your chances of winning. Perhaps the company you have at that AP level isn't ideal for many situations. In that case, you might try a different one. Maybe the army you are using isn't ideal for your play-style. The ability to be good at this game is governed by your ability to recognize the variables, and have a well-constructed response for them.

chimeraelite

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:46 pm

It's really all about how well you can bait out enemies and take them out. You really have to be careful and pay attention to everything which is going on. Bum rushing is never a good idea. You almost never make the first move, especially with the Wolfen. I've won 3v5 fights (Predator, crossbow and regular) because I prioritize my fights. I go for that one poor bastard who was put a little out of place, and massacre him. Sometimes you're given a dilemma and you really only get the ability to differentiate between which is more important, from practice. I've won about 16 out of 28 games I've played, and usually when I lost, it was either really close, or I made a bad move and got ripped a new one because of it. You just gotta be careful and really learn the limitations of not only your units, but also those of your enemy. Try playing Lion if you want to be more defensive.

Dragon_Warrior

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 6:43 pm

i managed to deal with 3xlev3 lonewolfs + 2x rune guardians :D

they are indeed insane but Al-Qaeda Sparkling harras managed to force them to retreat and finish them of in pursuit ;D

each spark was detonated 3+ times ;D

im so happy about that ;D

but still against lion less harrasing and more fang bands are more devastating.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Return to General Forum