It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

Occult erosion

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Dragon_Warrior

Re: Occult erosion

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 pm

could help avoid things like 17 AP sparklings

17ap and limited to 3 - sparklings are fine or close to fine - only 33ap sparkling with insta +10 healing are wrong.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Deep Blue

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm

the problem of creating super detailed patch notes is that...it takes lot of time i would say. Also having people judge something without having tested it...might be a terrible idea :P
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Lima

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 am

Ok Im back, I started work again recently so havent had much time.

I read the thread and mostly its the same thing but I will only respond to Flynns post because he makes some really nice points.

First of all yes I have won games simply by 2shotting a heavy unit with my mage, and as I have mentioned already in this thread this is not right AT LARGE DISTANCES. If a predator of blood or GG or SW rushes my mage (to the point where he is literally throwing the unit away, I believe I should be able to punish him for it, but i shouldmt nuke him from afar before he even made a move.

Second im not a great player(42-32 last week i think), I like my mage and using it doesnt mean easy victory unless the other player is innexperienced and puts his heavy units in a compromising position. If this does not happen then a very good game is in effect, this is because he knows that 1 mistake on his part will cost him dearly, but one mistake from my part will also end the game. In other words when I play mega mage (i like how you put that) im playing a high risk high reward game, thats how I like to play. Yes I can kill your 140AP unit with 2xcelestial scourge, but 1 wolf/garg/skullwarrior or even just a couple of archers get into a good position I will lose my mage and most likely the game.

Third: what if the other team doesnt have a 100+AP unit, like most people are doing now. My mega mage is not so "mega" after all. Because I have to gamble wether I go for celestial scourge or aoe that could determine the game right there, I mean whats 2xcelestial scourge against a horde of skellys? Not much. Sure it'll put a skelly at low health but what about the other 6 closing around? Same with fangs. Its very dificult to play with a nuke mage against zerg setups.

4th: When the above happens then seal becomes an option, but lets look at seal. Yes it does alot of damage, and used correctly it can be devastating, but it has risks. First of all it damages your own units, so unless the battlefile is open you wont be able to use it in a row without hitting your own units. Also the enemy knows its coming and can prepare for it, whether by blocking paths or simple postioning his units in a way that will force me to dmg my own units. This is difficult though expecially if sparks have seals because they can move large distances, but they are sparks and if you use them like this too soon you will regret it later on in the game, especially if they are healing sparks. I do believe seal should be worked but then I think, ok then what do I do when middleway is activated? nothing, theres no useful spell that I can do. Worked yes but not removed.

5th: Yes most of my damage is dependent on my mage and if I lose him early on I will lose the game, simple. Now what happens of I dont lose him straight away, do I have guaranteed victory? you write like I do. to put it another way its like Im playing with a Queen + pawns, do I have guaranted victory vs towers and knights? Ofc not. But if one of those knights has a skill that can destroy my queen's usefullness in exchange for its life dont you think everyone would do that? ofc they would, but does that make my setup bad or the skill just overpowered? I say its the latter, you say its the first.

Finally:
It is basically a noob strat that is far too effective unless you have an easy counter like OE or MW.
I have had amazing games vs all kinds of setups (with or without OE or MW) with this setup. Let me correct your phrase " its a strategy that will guarantee easy victories vs noobs" and for that im sorry. But people are getting better and not falling for the mega mage strategy as much and so the games are becoming like what i mentioned: high risk, high reward. All i need is to miss one disciplice role and I can lose my mage and the game right there, thats how I like to play, sue me but I think its not wrong. Zerg setups dont need MW or OE to play vs mage and if you're going into a game vs lion with 4-5 unit setup without any OE or MW then you are a noob taking that big of a risk, cause you are not protecting the few units you have which is what you should do if you have few units.

Making the OE go away when the pala dies is only natural because it stops the suicide tactic that dragon was mentioning and that I find repulsive because it takes about 2IQ to do. And yes it take 1IQ to nuke some 1 down with 2x celestial scourge, but it takes a whole lot more to keep your mage alive until you can do so, and as I have mentioned, against zergs that wont help.

Edit: Sry I got carried away a wrote a lot.

Vahire

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 am

Lima wrote:Third: what if the other team doesnt have a 100+AP unit, like most people are doing now. My mega mage is not so "mega" after all. Because I have to gamble wether I go for celestial scourge or aoe that could determine the game right there, I mean whats 2xcelestial scourge against a horde of skellys? Not much. Sure it'll put a skelly at low health but what about the other 6 closing around? Same with fangs. Its very dificult to play with a nuke mage against zerg setups.

We all know that lion mage can nuke with both celestial and his first skill twice turn 2 or 3 cuz he has 12 mana.You can put 3 target half or low hp in 1 turn,effective even against zergs.

Deep Blue

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 10:43 am

Vahire wrote:
Lima wrote:Third: what if the other team doesnt have a 100+AP unit, like most people are doing now. My mega mage is not so "mega" after all. Because I have to gamble wether I go for celestial scourge or aoe that could determine the game right there, I mean whats 2xcelestial scourge against a horde of skellys? Not much. Sure it'll put a skelly at low health but what about the other 6 closing around? Same with fangs. Its very dificult to play with a nuke mage against zerg setups.

We all know that lion mage can nuke with both celestial and his first skill twice turn 2 or 3 cuz he has 12 mana.You can put 3 target half or low hp in 1 turn,effective even against zergs.

this :) assuming he puts 3 fangs at low life it kind of repays itself. I add that you have access to 3x healing sparklings and valks...so unless it is a big angry elite/legendary it can't be oneshotted. Also you can disengage with the mage without getting hit with divine favor (+10 DOD! and +10WIL to cast easily whatever you need!) -> run further away. Keep in mind that it moves 8 so any wolven won't be able to re-attack it on that turn.
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Dragon_Warrior

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 am

Also you can disengage with the mage without getting hit with divine favor (+10 DOD! and +10WIL to cast easily whatever you need!)

with Mage Parry - even with Divene - disengagement can be risky.

But once again we talk about wolfens instead of Paladins ;)
in case of lonewolf - they don't even need to engage ;P
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Lima

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 pm

If my first skill has 3 units in range (which is not large) then one of three things is happening. One: my mage defence is still well and you are an innexperienced player zerging so many units into their death. Two: My defence is compromised and my mage wont live another turn. Three: You are a great player an you have just forced my mage to use his mana and now your hunter/garg/lion/archer has now a window to come in and do his job.

I add that you have access to 3x healing sparklings and valks...so unless it is a big angry elite/legendary it can't be oneshotted

3 healing sparks, valks... thats some nice meatshield there. I like playing high risk high reward not gung ho mage. Swordman? ok now im really counting on the mage for damage which means I have one unit which is the one who can lay down punishment, a unit that I have to activate first usually because I have to get him out of harms way, which means that for the rest of the turn the other team can position his entire team for the next turn.

Also if I cast a spell I cant move after, so im commited and the first spells range is not large so believe me, its alot of dmg to hit 3 guys with first spell, but its a massive commitment. Mage is a glass cannon, if you attack a glass cannon head on its not my fault its yours. It requires strategy to take down a mage setup yes (unless you have OE then you just rush your pala to his death to cast it), it also requires strategy to keep him alive.

Vahire

PostFri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Lima wrote:

If my first skill has 3 units in range (which is not large) then one of three things is happening. One: my mage defence is still well and you are an innexperienced player zerging so many units into their death. Two: My defence is compromised and my mage wont live another turn. Three: You are a great player an you have just forced my mage to use his mana and now your hunter/garg/lion/archer has now a window to come in and do his job.

If you protect your mage well,your ennemy (assuming he plays the zergs meta) must sacrifice some of his zerg to have a chance to kill your mage.If he doesnt play zerg,he has to give up on a big unit to tank your mage damages and let an assassin do his job.Con

OE is a great skill but if you dont have zergs around to tank the damages from the nuke,mages still destroy your big units before the will debuff become a real issue to him.
Previous

Return to General Forum