It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm

Disconnection exploit

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Deep Blue

Disconnection exploit

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 12:26 am

I noticed more than once that certain players in order NOT to adjust their AP they disconnect from the game in the AP adjustment screen. This does NOT result in a loss for them nor a victory for the opponent. Normally without the disconnection you would be forced to play regardless of what you chose, in case the time ran out.

I understand the frustration of players when they lower their AP to an abysmal level but i think of all the times i had to revise my list and play fair and square while another opponent just uses this trick and it frustrates me as well.

My suggestion would be to either make it an automatic loss to whoever disconnects during the AP selection screen (he is exploiting and should be punished) OR create a good matchmaking system (when the game is live) that will guarantee a certain AP threshold between opponents so that players do not feel forced to cheat.

what is the general opinion?
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

skydancer

Re: Disconnection exploit

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 1:35 am

Deep Blue wrote:My suggestion would be to either make it an automatic loss to whoever disconnects during the AP selection screen (he is exploiting and should be punished) OR create a good matchmaking system (when the game is live) that will guarantee a certain AP threshold between opponents so that players do not feel forced to cheat.

I agree with both, when you accept a game you must play it and adjust your list BUT the matchmaking need to be reworked to don't allow exploitation like people using small list with 1-2 minuature etc... we need to work around good matchmaking system, good map, good mission and some rules about minimum AP, minimum number of miniature in game.

In the miniature game the confederation of the dragon rouge build a solid tournament system that work well, we could do something like that for RANKED match, and leave more freedom for unranked friendly match.
~ work in progress ~

Bousk

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 9:35 am

Hi,

disconnecting during adjustment leads to a loss of fiability.
Dogs of War Online - Dev Team

Jigoku

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 1:23 pm

In addition to this, we are working on several ways to make the matchmaking a lot more useful than it is now.

We are plainly aware that its current state is bad, and we have been working actively these past weeks on making it much better, as it was our top priority problem. And we are still working on it right now. You should see some improvements soon.

As for disconnecting... we expect that this problem should significantly be reduced in the next few patches with our changes ; but in any case, we would not advise to do it at all. Like Bousk said, a hit to your fiability can mess with the quality of your future games a great deal, and you can expect it to get worse and worse as we get closer to the day when we will have a broader audience (longer waiting time in queues, and some other unpleasant stuff we'd rather keep for ouselves right now).
If however, the problem was not contained, we still have leads on how to fix it "the hard way", though we may prefer not to. And yeah, it could involve injuries :twisted:
Dogs of War Online - Game Designer

Return to General Forum