It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 pm

Balance issue between newbies and veteran

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Bhordelik

Balance issue between newbies and veteran

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello.
I'm a regular player of all kins of turn based and strategic games (on computer or tabletop), even created some.

I've been testing the game for a few days and I have noticed something that could help balance the game. Currently, it's a damn steel wall preventing newbies to do any harm to veteran players.

Who strike first ? Initially you would think it's logic to enable more experienced company to strike first each turn (as it is in the game)
But then, lvl 3+ ranged units (and other high speed units) could ravage the rank of the newbies without letting him retaliate, even more with undead and their orders. So when the player with less rank get only 2 more units to close the gap in level, he lose it near instantly in the first turn. And sorcerers ... their ap cost at higher level should be at least 2 times their currents costs.

So, what to do, just set that the higher ap your untis costs, the higher the chance to concede the first strike is. Much like a higher ap unit is "heavier" than a "lighter" one. This isn't necessary in table top version due to player being able to choose higher ap units from the start. But the game don't allow new players to use lvl5 units. And the gap in effectiveness and strategic possibilities is bottomless. (this is seriously frustrating, as you could only use low-end strategy without many choices)

One example is between level 1 necromancer and lvl2 necromancer. The fisrt spam a low end unit, easily disabled, the second can place his doll near an enemy and make it detonate, causing much more damage than the doll could have done. In a 1-1 fight, the lvl 1 necromancer don't stand a chance because he don't begin first. But reverse the order and then, the lvl 2 necromancer is in a thighter spot, probably being engaged by the enemy doll.

One another solution, probably already discussed, is setting barrier between newbies and veteran in matchmaking. But this would create more problem than resolving this one.

On a sidenote, the penality for fleeing combat is not enough, a ranged unit being engaged should be locked in or loose half it's life. Not just go away with only a mere 10 damage and then shoot in the same turn. Or at least get severe hindrance to shooting test for one turn. Same for sorcerers.

As the game is now, I don't feel like playing anymore. Ranged unit and sorcerers have the upper hands, the more ranks you have, the more easily you can kill new players. All strategy you devise get shattered because the enemy play first and kill half your company in one turn with it's high level units (especialy in this shit map with no cover) Better go playing chess with friends, at least, i'm sure the team are balanced.

It's sad, there isn't much multiplayer turn-based computer games that could get a great player base and currently, this one couldn't.

PS : I'm setting a french version, just in case.

Izno

Re: Balance issue between newbies and veteran

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for your feedback it's appreciated. Some good points, I do agree the game could be more noob friendly.

Bhordelik

PostWed Nov 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Well, if you want, I'm open to discussion. I would like this game to reach it's true potential. I know it's still work in progress.

Deep Blue

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 10:39 am

i think game has lot of potential as well. Speaking about how not noob friendly is this game, i started yesterday playing it (so you can imagine my skill level and unit level) and i got a match with a guy using only his undead abomination. My team was mostly melee based and well...i didn't stand a chance. I think you should not be able to select the super units vs a certain level of player as usually he would not have a high level army + it wil consist mostly of basic units (which will get slaughtered). I think a good balanced game would make even losing "fun" to some degree. I "like" to lose and then say, damn i should have done x and y!
Closed beta tester - Ram & Wolf player

Useful links:
AP army calculator (by Hod): http://dogsofwar.eu.pn/

Return to General Forum