It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:22 pm

Feedback + DoW Rulebook

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

faraon

Feedback + DoW Rulebook

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Lets start with some praise.
After the let down that was Confrontation(C) (I was so pumped for that game) a looked cautiously at Aarklash:Legacy(A:L) and now Dogs of War(DoW), but I was very pleasantly surprised. Progress on all fronts. The game mechanics introduced in C seam to be polished and working quite nicely in A:L and the transfer of mechanics from the miniature game to DoW seams very true to the original. I don't if some of You guys are fans of the original but I have to say I appreciate very much the attention to detail and giving justice to the setting. The latest games seem also much more polished in the interface layer. And last but not least the graphics, the new maps and general visual style seem to be very much in line with the maps and battle reports from the original Confrontation rulebook and Cry Havoc!, the nostalgia is overwhelming.

Now for some feedback
-The friend challenge mode needs a start screen where you choose the squad you take with you (like the one when pressing play) , right now You go with what you have selected on the company management screen and doesn't even warn you when you are mismatched AP wise with your friend
-I can understand that ranked matches are not counted towards statistics, Ducats and Fame but not even giving XP to fighters means that from a competitive point of view playing with friends is a waste of time which is a bit sad.
-You can't view the future development of a warrior before buying one
-I like the injuries, that they are not all bad the fate card mechanic puts ale lot of pressure on cash
-I like the translations of dice management int to game (if i understand correctly its 1 defense and rest attack default and one moved either way with stances)
-the HP system looks OK too, gives the wound level feed back while handling better the critical + light and light + critical stupidity from the tabletop
-replays sometime in the future
-the interface has some problems when switching from players to enemies turn,

Some lore nitpicking
-Why is the hunter stronger than the warrior (and uses the tracker model o_O)
-Wolfen seem slower than in the table top (there they had 1.5 or 1.75 the move of humans and here 1.25 - 1.5)
-pure Faithful are generally as useless as in the tabletop (beside a few exceptions that are not here in the game :D) nice that you are keeping with origins but that aspect needed some work then and it needs some work now.

Questions
-are you planning implementing some of the role system from DoW rulebook (captain, lieutenant, medic etc.) that stuff really made the companies much more "owned". Maybe not in the general matchmaking but with closed leagues the benefits/requirements from the roles give a nice aspect of strategy. Beside that would enhance player immersion and attachment to warriors
-what about the scout mechanic, it played quite a role in my tabletop campaigns and allowed for more finessed, less raw power oriented strategies to viable

Proposals
-sell alternative models for units (there are multiple sculpts for almost all of the units and some of them are very nice)
-vanity models for high level warriors based on heroes, again most profiles have hero versions
-Leagues and scenario campaigns like the Cardinal one from the DoW rulebook or just separated groups for players like in Blood Bowl

Some more Praise:
-I love the graphics :D
-More Confrontation

Izno

Re: Feedback + DoW Rulebook

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for your feedback, and glad to see that Confrontation players are pleased with the game feel compared to the board game.

As you can imagine, adpating the board requires some changing. Wolfens probably move fast enough already.

For your other questions, I will let the Devs answer ;)

Return to General Forum