It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Members introductions

Chat with other players about your DoWO experience!
  • Author

Dragon_Warrior

Re: Members introductions

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 12:17 am

Did you played any of tabletop Confrontations before ?
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Atrapa Almas

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 2:17 am

Nope.

There was nobody to play with in my town. I bougth the miniatures for their designs and then discovered the game rules, I played a bit vs myself, thats all.

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 2:49 am

So you should knew that factions didn't had unique mechanics - only faction skill. All diferences was based on units stats/skills/cost ane spells/miracles but game mechanic was always the same.
I agree that Alachan-Acheron have some similar units (skeleton-swordsman, archer-archer, gargoyle-lion, Knight-Crane) that could be more different but overall gameplay is determinated as before - by unique units/spells/skills no the differnet mechanic. The only miniature game that have more than one bacis 'engine' is Warmachine/Hordes but there are still only two main mechanics for 10 or more factions.
ign: Draconnor, Cynwall player, 23 years in computer games, 14 years in battle games, 8 years in Confrontation Universe, 4 years of making own battle games.

Atrapa Almas

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 3:39 am

First time I saw faction specific mechanics was playing Pox Nora (https://poxnora.station.sony.com/factions/viewfactionprofile.do). I dont like some other aspects of the game, but that one is really apealing.

I saw again the same concept playing Guild Wars 2, in most MMOS (and Role Playing Games) your class selection sets your Role (Thiefs are Damage Dealers, Knigths with shield are Tanks, Clerics are healers and so on). But in GW2 you can get any class do whatever you want. You can be a damage dealer, tank, support, etc... with a mage and also with a thief. The difference is how you play them. Each class has specific mechanics and thus it suits a certain playstile adding diversity and replay value.

I do thing that concept is very interesting and could be considered for this game too, in the long rung lot of factions will be implemented and a source of income for the company.

Tabletop games that sell miniatures gain money by the miniatures, so each faction has a unice miniature stile. That way you get in love with a particular miniature and you end buying the full thing. There is no need of an unique mechanic, because you get hook by the miniature itself.

But online games dont sell the miniature but the gaming experience. Son if playing every faction feels diferent it will be more apealing to unlock more faction slots.

Just an idea, of course. After all, betas are to provide feedback and ideas. =)

Dragon_Warrior

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 am

Tabletop games that sell miniatures gain money by the miniatures, so each faction has a unice miniature stile. That way you get in love with a particular miniature and you end buying the full thing. There is no need of an unique mechanic, because you get hook by the miniature itself.

If this is true then i have no idea how Games Workshop managed to be anny succesfull ;P

I also have GW2 and while interesting i dont see its mechanic to be briliand. Half of classes is to werid to me in aspect of gameplay - even if i like their lore/conception in similar games.

HOMM3 is propably most recognized TBS - and each castle have same gameplay mechanics - in heroes 5-6 differences appeared but more similar to Dogs of War special stances + faction skill than whole new gameplay :P

Simply when Dogs of War wil get all featured 9 or maybe even more factions - i rather choose my favourite factions by their Lore/units - less werid gameplay :P

But as i said before - im totaly about making current alachan-acheron units more different from each other and keeping the differences for further factions.

Atrapa Almas

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 am

Dragon_Warrior wrote:If this is true then i have no idea how Games Workshop managed to be anny succesfull ;P

This is a really interesting question. Like 18 to 20 years ago GW was entering Spain shop by shop, with White Dwarf and some miniatures. Also a very strong mail shop. At that time they had no competence in Spain. Not in lore, not in miniature quality. It was amazing at that time. I spent hours and hours seeing the White Dwarf miniatures.

But some time later we decided not playing Warhammer any more. Every change to the game seemed not to be intended to improve the game, but to make you buy the last faction code, the last rules, the new OP miniatures, and by spending money and money and more money you had more chances to win. Very much like Magic Cards.

The business was about pay to win, not strategy anymore. So we left.

They were so focused on that that they left the door open to Star Craft and World or Warcraft, so they could eat their market. Because it was GW´s market. Same happened in France with Confrontation. Nowadays there are MMORPGS of all kind based on Fantasy and Futuristic themes, and those of GW just have a small share of the market. And it was mostly their market some years ago.

Dragon_Warrior wrote:I also have GW2 and while interesting i dont see its mechanic to be briliand. Half of classes is to werid to me in aspect of gameplay - even if i like their lore/conception in similar games.

Well, im not playing GW2 for a reason too. =P

But even if I dont play It, I recognise some things they have done as very well done. Just like Dragon Nest fluid combat. You dont need to love the whole thing.

Dragon_Warrior wrote:HOMM3 is propably most recognized TBS - and each castle have same gameplay mechanics - in heroes 5-6 differences appeared but more similar to Dogs of War special stances + faction skill than whole new gameplay :P

We both agree that this is how things have been done so far. But is it the way to keep going?

Most online strategy games are online versions of how tabletop strategy games work. But back when those tabletop games where designed they had some limitations (like time to do calculations, dices to create the stadistics or a 2D tabletop) that do no longer apply to online games. But they keep doing the same way just by inertia.

I will try to give some better feedback once I play the game. Like you and Deep Blue do. =)

Keldain

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 12:17 pm

This is long overdue...

Hello everyone, Keldain here, and I'm happy to finally announce my arrival in the lands of Aarklash. ^_^

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the battlefield. =)
"Do you even Rag'Narok?"
Dogs of War Online's resident hide and seek champion ^_^
Registered for Beta: 3/15/13 > Received Key: 1/7/14 (via Facebook) =P

KilRoY66

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi to all,
I'm from Italy and I Play everyday at least for 2 hours in week days, while in WE much more. I like many different game mechanics but still I'm not very excited by the massive online games.. Still searching for the Game!!
Surfing in the net I found info about this game and I'm waiting for the moment I can have a beta key and play it.
Meanwhile, I'm reading the forum to know more about.
Happy 2014 to all :mrgreen:

Archos

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi to all, to the Tuscany! :mrgreen:

Shinichi

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi im a fan of strategic games for ever, I hope I can play you soon.
PreviousNext

Return to General Forum